Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 official unlock

Default Iphone 4 official unlock
    I have my iphone 4 unlocked using ultrasnow but im planning on ringing up my network and having it officially unlocked to add value and make sure i never accidently get locked out. Would i need to un install ultrasnow before i did this incase it conflicted or is the ultrasnow unlock different to how an official unlock would work?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as i'm aware there is no 'official' unlock for iPhone...
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

The official unlock is when the network your on unlock the phone. o2 in the uk do it free some others charge

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You could do so. Having ultrasn0w on it shouldn't hurt it if it got to become factory unlocked. You should probably remove it anyway, just in case.

U might as well remove it, it'll drain battery for no reason. Also I always wondered, how they unlock it? Do they give u a code that u put in? I'm in the US so i have no idea =D

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The service provider will contact Apple to enter the phone's IMEI to be factory unlocked status. So the UK service providers who carry the iPhone can usually unlock iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    The service provider will contact Apple to enter the phone's IMEI to be factory unlocked status. So the UK service providers who carry the iPhone can usually unlock iPhones.
    so apple just unlocks the iphone remotely? Or do you have to go to itunes and do something after they change the status of the IMEI?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Not 100% sure, all I know is the service provider has to contact Apple and give your IMEI for your iPhone to get it done. I saw an old post before that someone did this and afterwards, they activated the phone thru iTunes and iTunes said the phone has successfully been unlocked. Even saw a screenshot.

You request an unlock from the carrier normally by filing out a form on the web site. They send you a text between five and 14 days later to say it has been completed. You then plug the phone into Itunes and the unlock is completed.