Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock and Jailbreak HELP PLZ

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Unlock and Jailbreak HELP PLZ
    Ok, I am new to this whole unlocking and jailbreaking thing. I just decided to do this and need a little help. Here is what I am working with.

Phone 3Gs
    Version 3.1.3 (7E18)
    Firmware 05.12.01
    Old base band.... i think (the 4th and 5th number are below 40)

I have read through some of the forums and guides on how to do this, but from what i am gathering, i am going to need to do this with wifi. That's a little bit of a problem where i am located. I am deployed to Afghanastan and do not have the capabilities to utilize WiFi. Is there a way that i can go around the wifi issue and do this. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Just use RedSnow to jailbreak. As for unlock, I honestly don't know how you would go about doing that.

Good Luck!
    --Taco

No, don't use Redsnow, that won't work.

You should double check your bootrom properly to avoid any doubt before do this:

Once done, jailbreak with spirit on www.spiritjb.com (you need an old version of itunes (like 9.0).
    Next, go into cydia and add repo http://repo.woowiz.net and then run spirit2pwn.
    Finally, create a custom firmware with snowbreeze/pwnagetool (4.0 is just fine) or download a custom firmware and do a shift+restore using the custom firmware. Then unlock with ultrasnow.

Here's the link for how to check bootrom properly:

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

BTW, your 3rd number needs to be 9 if you are using the serial number method.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-19 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

mle_ibrahim (2010-09-20)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, thank you. I have the new bootrom, i guess that is unfortunate. I am so clueless when it comes to this stuff. Thank you for helping me this far.
    As for the iWOOWIZ Repo, wont I need WiFi to do this?

Ok, so your best bet is going to be to just jailbreak the phone on the firmware you are already on and look to upgrade it only when new tools come out.

You've got to get the phone hooked to a Computer which has a version of iTunes 9.0 lower than 9.2.

Download the spirit jb from Spirit and run it. Hit jailbreak and wait for it do it's magic.

Once done you're jailbroken, but we're going to need some help getting ultrasnow on your phone as normally wifi is the way to go.

Can someone advise if it can be ssh'd onto the phone?

Ok, I found this on another thread but I've no idea how to do it myself. Basically you are going to download ultrasnow to your pc then upload the file to your iPhone:

You can always download the latest version of ultrasn0w directly from its source.

http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com/ultrasn0w.deb
    Connect to your iPhone using WinSCP or SSH client.
    Copy ultrasn0w.deb to /private/var/root.
    From WinSCP, click on Commands -> Open Terminal and enter

dpkg -i /private/var/root/ultrasn0w.deb

and press ENTER.

Once you've got ultrasnow on your phone you should be able to install it through cydia
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-20 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So i did a liitle more research and foun this site.

Download Custom Firmware 3.1.2 ipsw Jailbreak, Activate, Unlock iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS - GSM-Forum

i am not sure if this will fix, and allow me to unlock my phone, any input? also, this might be a stupid question, but if i unlock my phone can i go back to "restore factory setting" and my phone be like it was when i first got it? I guess what i am asking is, once a phone is unlocked can i remove everything that i did to it once i return to the states? I have been reading that apple and att, once they relize you have unlocked the phone, they will render your phone useless....if this fact or myth?

Thank you west for all your help thus far!!!!

You can't use custom firmware with your phone because it needs to be jailbroken at 3.1.2 for those which are new bootrom. Your only solution at present is what I described in my previous email. You have to use spirit which can JB 3.1.3

The only problem is to get Ultrasnow onto your phone, but this can be done by SSHing the ultrasnow file onto your phone (also described above).

Start with spirit and report back. You've no other options at present other than to do what I suggested or wait for the next JB to be released.

The unlocked iphone/locked by ATT comment is not true. They don't know whether you've been unlocked before. You can restore it when you go back to the US and it will be back to a clean ATT carrier locked phone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

mle_ibrahim (2010-09-21)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LOL, Thank you. As I stated before I am all new to this. I did the spirit JB and it worked like a charm. I will try and do the SSHing tonight when i get home. Thank you ever so much!

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    You can always download the latest version of ultrasn0w directly from its source.

http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com/ultrasn0w.deb
    This link is not working properly. It says error 404.
    Last edited by mle_ibrahim; 2010-09-21 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you westoben! I got my phone unlocked and JB! It is working beautifully now. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Now on to themes and personalization! ;P

Cool. How did you manage it in the end? Cyder?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No the cyder2 didn't work, keep giving me a file recovery error. I was talking with a friend yesterday that just got into country and he told me about the USO tenet on the otherside of the camp, i went over there, hoping that they would have open WiFi, but no luck. I got to chatting with the manager and she allowed me to utilize their private internet connection that had a secure wifi setup. YEAH! So after about two hours of sitting there (very very slow connection) I was able to get it ALL installed through Cydia. So I guess, we did have WiFi out here, but its depended on the office building and whether or not its military or civilian.

Now I am trying to downloand Winscp to add themes that i have downloaded from this site. (Crossing my fingers)

This is all a learning process for me, and i appreciate all the help you gave me!

Good, well at least it's working now! Backup you SHSH file for 4.1 to start your collection.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think i did that, cydia told me something about that, and i clicked the button that said "yes, make my life easier". I am not sure if that is what it was talking about but if not, do i do that through cydia?

There is a chance of not getting it if you rely on cydia to do it for you. Suggest you grab it with tinyumbrella.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, done! Thank you. Any suggestions on getting my theme's that i saved from modmyi to my computer onto my phone?

I'm not best placed to help you with your theme, I would post a new thread elsewhere in the forum.

Do you not have a data package with your carrier? Just calls?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just calls and thanks, will do

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I know this may be a stupid question, but do i have to stay at the older version of tunes or can i upgrade back to the newest version of tunes after the unlock and jb is done? Thank you again for all your help!

Now it's done you can upgrade iTunes. No worries.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

mle_ibrahim (2010-10-03)