Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: To unlock or not to unlock that is the question

Default To unlock or not to unlock that is the question
    Hi everyone, i'm gonna downgrade my 3gs from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 to jailbreak with jailbreakme 2.0 and I've got a few questions if anyone can help.

1: I'm wondering if unlocking the phone is needed or not, Im in the UK and on o2 network and i would like to use my existing simcard?

2: I have 12 months free 3G with o2 as im on pay&go and when i went to use o2's free online unlocking service to open my phone to any network it said that my free 3G would no longer be valid if i unlocked; so if i use ultrasnow etc will o2 know my phone has been unlocked?

3: I know that jailbreaking has been deemed legal in the US but what about UK?

4: And finally, once i have jailbroken my phone are there any thing that i need to do directly after i.e. sync/ not sync with itunes, or should i stop using itunes?

i'm pretty clued up about the actual jailbreaking process but i just dont wont to make a noob mistake and do something silly after.

any help would be Much Appreciated.. Thanks all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Your carrier will not know that you have unlocked your iphone.
    You can sync your iphone with Itunes, sycing your Stuffs on your pc to your Iphone is important in order to backup all your contents. If you think Itunes is going to upgrade your OS, it won't by itself unless you allow it to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Jailbreak_Advice_Needed (2010-09-13)

thanks yeow202, so is unlocking optional or is it an essential step? i want to carry on using my ordinary pay&go sim card or will that effect the decision?

Is the original carrier o2? You only need to unlock the phone if you need to use a new carrier sim card to that which the phone was originally locked to.

If original carrier phone is locked to is O2 and you want to use PAYG sim card from O2 then it's fine without unlocking.

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Is the original carrier o2? You only need to unlock the phone if you need to use a new carrier sim card to that which the phone was originally locked to.

If original carrier phone is locked to is O2 and you want to use PAYG sim card from O2 then it's fine without unlocking.
    yeah o2 is my original carrier so i won't bother unlocking for now. is there anything else that people recommend to do after/before jailbreaking besides backing-up your phone.??

No need to worry about anything, it will be fine. Use iTunes like normal except for doing the upgrades.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

Jailbreak_Advice_Needed (2010-09-16)

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    No need to worry about anything, it will be fine. Use iTunes like normal except for doing the upgrades.
    Thanks Ben.

Oh and do the PDF patch through cydia when you're done JB!

Quote Originally Posted by Jailbreak_Advice_Needed View Post
    Hi everyone, i'm gonna downgrade my 3gs from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 to jailbreak with jailbreakme 2.0 and I've got a few questions if anyone can help.

1: I'm wondering if unlocking the phone is needed or not, Im in the UK and on o2 network and i would like to use my existing simcard?

2: I have 12 months free 3G with o2 as im on pay&go and when i went to use o2's free online unlocking service to open my phone to any network it said that my free 3G would no longer be valid if i unlocked; so if i use ultrasnow etc will o2 know my phone has been unlocked?

3: I know that jailbreaking has been deemed legal in the US but what about UK?

4: And finally, once i have jailbroken my phone are there any thing that i need to do directly after i.e. sync/ not sync with itunes, or should i stop using itunes?

i'm pretty clued up about the actual jailbreaking process but i just dont wont to make a noob mistake and do something silly after.

any help would be Much Appreciated.. Thanks all.
    Do the Jailbreak without the unlock for now. When your free 3G on the payandgo o2 phone runs out they will unlock the phone for you for Sterling 15. Just fill in the online form and submit it and make sure you have enough credit on the phone to allow them to deduct the Sterling 15. They will send you a text message in a week or so saying the unlock is done. You then plug your phone in Itunes which completes the process and Bingo you have a Factory unlock phone.