Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please HELP!!!!!...iphone 3GS 4.0.2......

Default Please HELP!!!!!...iphone 3GS 4.0.2......
    Hey guys...Very new to Iphone..bought first time such phone...having Iphone 3GS 4.0.2. really dont know anything in this area...i was very excited when went to unlock...the guy said why you upgraded to 4.0.2....but i really dont know how it upgraded to 4.0.2...i simple put my iphone to itunes on my pc and did activation..i really dont know how it upgraded to 4.0.2..? but the guy said unlock is not available for this 4.0.2 yet....he said you have't saved SHSH..so i cant downgrade it to 4.0.1..I don't know abt all this things...and he asked me to wait for 2 months and said unlock will surely available in next 2 months...now I feel very disappointed and thinking why i bought this phone...Can anyone tell me when i will be able to unlock my phone in future? Will unlock be available soon...?

Help will be appreciated...

There is no way to predict when a Jailbreak will be available for 4.0.2 and in order to unlock you have to jailbreak first. You should not upgrade to the next release which is 4.1 At the moment you have a phone which has a firmware which cannot be jailbroken but a baseband which can be unlocked. If you go to the next level the baseband will also be upgraded to an unlockable one.
    There is a small possibility that the previous owner of the phone had jailbroken previously and saved SHSH hashes, if this is true then you can downgrade to 4.0.1 and Jailbreak. To determine if you have SHSH saved download tiny umbrella from this web site. The Firmware Umbrella: FAQ: The Firmware Umbrella
    Then plug your phone in to the computer and select advance mode on the tiny umbrella screen, then select the 3GS and firmware 4.0.1 an Cydia as the source, do not start TSS. When you do this Tiny umbrella will check Cydia to see if your SHSH hashes have previously been saved and return them to you. If results is negative you are out of luck for now, if you get them successfully you can downgrade. Be aware that if you are going to do a restore you will have to activate the phone again and you must have a SIM from the original carrier, does not matter if it is inactive or active.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-09-10 at 11:00 PM.

Try this is work for me 2 days ago.
    Downgrade 4.02 to 4.01 without SHSH saved.

First Download This 4.01 Modified As 4.02
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

So now, what we will do is to trick iTunes into thinking that it is watching Apple servers, while in real, we are going to change the address to Saurik’s server.

Navigate to CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\ locate “hosts” file.

Open this “hosts” file in Notepad (for Windows) and add this
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com line as shown below:

Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Now save this file!

NOTE for Windows 7 and Vista: Start “Notepad” with Administrator privileges by right clicking on “Notepad” app, and click on “Run as Administrator“ option.

If it still throws permission error, simply copy the host file to desktop, make the required changes, and then replace it with the original file in “/etc/” directory.

You will now have to restore your iPhone to the Modified firmware you downloaded.

Put the device in DFU by following the steps below:

Connect your iPhone to your computer.
    Turn iPhone off.
    Start iTunes.
    Hold Power and Home buttons together for 10 seconds or so.
    Release Power button but keep holding the Home button until your computer recognizes a new USB device.
    iTunes will now recognize your iPhone.
    Note: Your iPhone screen at this time should be blank (black in color), if not, then you are most likely in Recovery Mode, not DFU mode.

Now simply open iTunes and restore the Modified firmware.

Note: Hold Down Shift Key To Navigate To Modified Firmware.

after completed.

You Should Be Able To JailBreak and Unlock as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin223 View Post
    Try this is work for me 2 days ago.
    Downgrade 4.02 to 4.01 without SHSH saved.

First Download This 4.01 Modified As 4.02
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

So now, what we will do is to trick iTunes into thinking that it is watching Apple servers, while in real, we are going to change the address to Saurik’s server.

Navigate to C:WindowsSystem32driversetc locate “hosts” file.

Open this “hosts” file in Notepad (for Windows) and add this
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com line as shown below:

Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Now save this file!

NOTE for Windows 7 and Vista: Start “Notepad” with Administrator privileges by right clicking on “Notepad” app, and click on “Run as Administrator“ option.

If it still throws permission error, simply copy the host file to desktop, make the required changes, and then replace it with the original file in “/etc/” directory.

You will now have to restore your iPhone to the Modified firmware you downloaded.

Put the device in DFU by following the steps below:

Connect your iPhone to your computer.
    Turn iPhone off.
    Start iTunes.
    Hold Power and Home buttons together for 10 seconds or so.
    Release Power button but keep holding the Home button until your computer recognizes a new USB device.
    iTunes will now recognize your iPhone.
    Note: Your iPhone screen at this time should be blank (black in color), if not, then you are most likely in Recovery Mode, not DFU mode.

Now simply open iTunes and restore the Modified firmware.

Note: Hold Down Shift Key To Navigate To Modified Firmware.

after completed.

You Should Be Able To JailBreak and Unlock as normal.
    The process you describe above only works if Saurik has your SHSH hashes. The change of the host file to point to Saurik gives it all away. If you had a process that restores without SHSH you would not point to Saurik. Many people who bought phones 3GS on ebay recently do not realize that SHSH are saved from the previous owner.

@nebo1ss: I tried to see if my SHSH are saved or not using tiny umbrella...but it says.."CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone3GS 4.0.1 (8A306) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE."...
    Last edited by san187; 2010-09-13 at 09:23 PM.

I am in the same boat. This is what TinyUmbrella gave me:

Baseband: 05.13.04 - 6.4_M3S2 09/13/2010 20:16:10.292 TSS Server has cached the following files: 09/13/2010 20:16:10.305 Devices with ECIDs matching the above AND restoring to the exact firmware version listed above will succeed!

My firmware is listed as 05.13.04 What does this mean for me? I have tried numerous procedures online all to no avail..