Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock iPhone 2G questions

Question Unlock iPhone 2G questions
    Ok,

I might have my wife convinced to getting an iphone but before we spend the $$$ on an iphone 4 I want her to try using my older iphone 2g which is currently jailbroken. The intenstions are to have here play with the iphone concept and if she likes it we will most likely upgrade here existing Samsung to and iphone.

The questions I have is if its possible to take here existing AT&T sim out of here 3g Samsung phone and insert the sim in the iphone 2 ? Will this work or cause any issues with our ATT account? She currently had unlimited data on her Samsung Eternity.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It should be fine. If not all you really need to do is unlock it (with bootneuter) which means if youre not already jailbroken youll have to. Im not sure if any other smartphone plan would work without unlocking (should tho if its AT&T i think if its not prepaid). Wouldnt hurt to try.

JB with Redsn0w (the unlock will be automatic if you use Redsn0w).

I have already jailbroken the iphone and but when I place the sim card from my eternity (att) phone into the iphone and boot the phone after the phone loads it says searching for signal and also want me to sync with itunes which is not a good sign.

do I need to do something different? Does jailbreaking also unlock the phone? If not how can I unlock it in its current state?

Thanks

Wow a forum this busy and 1 reply in almost a week. SUX can I get some help here please

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bada_bing View Post
    I have already jailbroken the iphone and but when I place the sim card from my eternity (att) phone into the iphone and boot the phone after the phone loads it says searching for signal and also want me to sync with itunes which is not a good sign.

do I need to do something different? Does jailbreaking also unlock the phone? If not how can I unlock it in its current state?

Thanks
    Jailbroken only, won't unlock you phone, you need to unlock your phone in order to use it with different carrier.

You can re-do jailbreak & unlock your phone in one process, just follow instructions carefully from this link: How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X

It worked well for my 2G.