Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone 3GS 3.1.3 / 05.12.01 / SHSH 4.0 / 4.0.1 - Shall I give up & get O2 to unlock me?

Default IPhone 3GS 3.1.3 / 05.12.01 / SHSH 4.0 / 4.0.1 - Shall I give up & get O2 to unlock me?
    Hi there,

I bought a new O2 Iphone 3GS off ebay a couple of weeks back; stupidly, I synced it with Itunes which downloaded 3.1.3 firmware onto it. Unlocked it with Jailbreak Me and now Cydia tells me that its SHSH are 4.0 / 4.0.1.

From reading on this website it seems that I'm not able to upgrade to 4.0 firmware and just have to use my phone with 3.1.3.

However, I need to unlock my phone since I live in Italy most of the year and need to use an Italian SIM card. F0recast tells me I cannot do this, however, O2 have offered to unlock my phone for 15 in the UK. I'm considering paying O2 to do this and sacrificing the possibility of jailbreaking my phone (since I assume O2's unlock will only work with unjailbroken devices).

Is it impossible to unlock my iphone seeing as Cydia will not be able to downgrade me to 3.1.2?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Matthew

Green Apple
    Thanks

wrong my friend...
    O2 unlock works with what ever phone you have. i have had phone JB, o2 still unlocked it. 15quid it costs only when using prepaid simcard. if you can get hold of monthly payment one, its for free..
    heres page
    O2 | iPhone Unlocking | Find out about unlocking your iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks

O2 simcard, you can get in any O2store here, in UK... i dont know, if there is any O2network in US...

Thanks maaaslo,

I'd really like to run the latest software [4.0.2] on my phone.

I jailbroke with 'JailbreakMe' and am on 3.1.3.

However, because of lacking the relevant SHSH files, it seems that I'll never be able to run IOS 4 unless I upgrade in Itunes normally (which means no jailbreak ever).

If O2 unlock my phone it means I can run IOS 4 & use the phone in Italy but will miss out on Cydia (which will be annoying).

What would you, or indeed anyone else, recommend?

Should I stay with 3.1.3 jailbroken and unlocked or go with IOS 4 and be unlocked but not jailbroken?

I think these are my only options but am not sure...

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Matthew

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia shows you have SHSHs for 4.0 and 4.0.1, so you can update to those AND jailbreak. There's no problem with that at all. Only 4.0.2 would present a problem, because you can't jailbreak it. And there's no effective difference to the user between 4.0.1 and 4.0.2, other than closing the FLATEDECODE hole in Mobile Safari.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Sam For This Useful Post:

mattallicaog (2010-08-30)

Green Apple
    Thanks

yes trooper sam, i would recommend the same.
    mate, you can update to 4.0.1, then JB and Unlock with Ultrasn0w. in the meantime, get O2 simcard, with at least 15quid credit, or ask someone with o2 card to visit the page i have posted here before.follow instructions. when O2 unlocks your phone, you still can use it jailbroken with no problems. Cydia stays where it was installed, all apps stays as well. dont be afraid, just go for it...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maaaslo For This Useful Post:

mattallicaog (2010-08-30)

Trooper Sam,

Thanks very much for the advice!

I followed all your instructions, however, when it gets to verifying the install with apple during the restore process up pops "The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occured [3002]". I tried it three times but the error keeps on coming up and not letting me continue with the process.

I was running TinyUmbrella in the background which went through the processes and said (after listing my device details):

08/30/2010 21:37:57.017 TSS Server has cached the following files: 08/30/2010 21:37:57.033 Devices with ECIDs matching the above AND restoring to the exact firmware version listed above will succeed!

However, there's no mention of 4.0.1 but it just refers to the firmware I'm currently running on the device [3.1.3].

Can you suggest anything to solve this error?

Looking around, I see someone recommended using this software: 3Gs Downgrade Assistant | iPhone News, Help and Guides. However, since it is for downgrading, I'm not sure whether it's wise to try it.

I'd be most grateful if you could help me solve this one.

Best wishes,

Matthew

I've just started to panic a bit more...

I ran TinyUmbrella again and went through the procedure as they advise on their website. However, when I go to 'display devices' they list the devices that can be restored safely and it only says...

"iphone 3gs 4.0.2"

It doesn't mention 4.0.1. I looked around and found this post: The Firmware Umbrella: R.I.P - 4.0.1 / 3.2.1 iOS

Does this mean that I cannot restore to 4.0.1?

If I run Cydia it still says at the top of the homepage that "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS / iOS 4.0, 4.0.1.

If, however, as the article states, Apple have stopped signing anything but 4.0.2 does this mean that I should upgrade to 4.0.2 and get O2 to unlock my phone?

With a lot of worry...

Matthew
    Last edited by mattallicaog; 2010-08-30 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Just edit your hosts file to point at Cydia, and don't sweat TU. You do in fact have the SHSHs, Cydia says so.

Trooper Sam you are a legend!

Thanks very much as I am now jailbroken and unlocked on 4.0.1! :-)

Now I keep receiving messages asking me to update to "new carrier settings": I assume these are from my carrier (02 in the UK). Will upgrading to these settings cause me any problems? I haven't done so thus far but the messages are quite persistent and annoying.

Also, I've restored my old 2g iphone to 3.1.2 (old bootrom). I've managed to jailbreak it, however, can't unlock it: Ultrasn0w doesn't install on the homescreen and Blackra1n doesn't seem to want to work either.

Could you either tell me how to unlock this phone on 3.1.2 or advise me as to how I could upgrade the 2g to 4.0.1 and unlock it from there?

Thanks again from a very happy iphone user...

im in us can i use this

Thanks

The 2G is not my forte, so I can't really answer what it'll take to unlock it, if Ultrasn0w won't.

I'm glad that you were able to get 4.0.1 on your 3GS. Be sure to get the real unlock from o2, as that will be a true factory unlock, which will last through restores.

@alexmediaking - Can you use what, specifically?

oh i ment to say im in the usa can i get his will you ship one to me bud
    plllleeeeeaaaase

Thanks

Ah, you want a factory-unlocked iPhone. You might want to see if you can convince a Canadian...they can get them.