Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: at&T iphone 3gs 3.1.2 firmware

Default at&T iphone 3gs 3.1.2 firmware
    Hello.
    I guess you might get asked this a lot but canīt find the specific answer I need, so here it is.

I have an at&t locked 3gs firmware 3.1.2
    I have activated it using an "address" card. So far so good.

Now...
    ... do I need to upgrade my firmware? I donīt really need the features of 4.x.
    Can I just proceed to jaibreak and unlock keeping 3.1.2?
    If yes, can you recommend a link with a step by step guide?

Also, I will be trying out the phone using my Swiss simcard ( which came with iphone blocked with Swisscom), but I want to be able to switch to a different sim card for another country in a week.
    Apologies if I asking these silly questions, but do I risk locking my phone to Swisscom by using this sim card?

thanks so much guys

I think u should keep it at 3.1.2 because 3.x is way better than 4.x any day

3. The Following User Says Thank You to winvargh For This Useful Post:

dallax (2010-08-25)

Quote Originally Posted by dallax View Post
    Hello.
    Can I just proceed to jaibreak and unlock keeping 3.1.2?
    If yes, can you recommend a link with a step by step guide?
    jailbreakme.com slide and it will be jailbroken

add repo666.ultrasn0w.com to sources in cydia and download and install ultrasn0w from the repo to unlock it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amsgator For This Useful Post:

dallax (2010-08-25)

Thanks

if it is an old bootrom 3gs then i would use redsn0w to jailbreak, if it is a new bootrom 3gs then use either jailbreakme or spirit to jailbreak so that it is an untethered jailbreak, as for unlocking use ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock and no it will not lock the phone to your Swisscom sim, you can swap them at will, here are links to both jailbreak methods

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1.2 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using Spirit (Windows) [3.1.2, 3.1.3]

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using JailbreakMe [4.0.0, 4.0.1]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

dallax (2010-08-25)

just my preference but I wouldn't use spirit....either redsn0w or jailbreakme.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amsgator For This Useful Post:

dallax (2010-08-25)

thanks everybody.
    I will have a go at it tonight.
    I' ll let you know how it goes

your instructions were really good, I think I know exactly what I need to do.

The thing is...I havenīt done it, yet.
    Because I am stuck with one dilemma.
    I am being a wimp about attempting to go into DFU mode to confirm my bootrom.
    My serial number 4th and 5th digits are 36 (and my model MC135LL)
    I think this means I have the old bootrom.

I keep hearing tales of people stuck in DFU mode and having to do recoveries etc.
    I donīt really want to get into that.

What would be your advice? Do I really need to go the extra step to be sure about my bootrom?
    I just want the jail break and unlock to get it working, in a few months time for upgrades etc I might attempt further stuff, but right now is it strictly necessary?

what would be the risk if I get stuck in DFU mode and have to recover?
    Last edited by dallax; 2010-08-26 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost