Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Going overseas, will I be able to unlock my 3GS?

Default Going overseas, will I be able to unlock my 3GS?
    So I'm about to head to Ireland in 2 days, and I am trying to figure out if I should get my old 3GS from my friend to try to unlock and use it over there. Before getting it back I figured I'd check in here.

I upgraded it to iOS4, which is where it is now. I think it has the new bootrom, though I've never unlocked my phones, so all this terminology is new to me. So the phone right now is a glorified iPod touch, which is pointless. Am I going to be able to unlock it given the above facts about the hardware and firmware? Last I read, like 2 months ago, it was not possible with the 3GS but I understand now it is? Maybe?

I've looked around here but all the help seems to be very specific and for people who are a little more into the terminology than I am. Do I just back up the phone, go to that website and unlock that way?

Thanks for any help!

OH and PS - since it was an ATT iPhone, that's the only SIM I have. I imagine when I get overseas I'll be able to buy a prepaid SIM for London and I guess another for Dublin when we get there. But will I be able to get the process done in advance here without that European SIM?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can unlock your 3GS first and it will stay unlocked when you are there, as long as you are not at iOS 4.0.2, you are good to jailbreak and unlock it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

cameronjpu (2010-08-25)

Finally an answer! Thanks for the reply - I have done the web-based jailbreak and then last night, I believe I've unlocked it by downloading ultrasn0w through Cydia. I'm not totally confident that it worked though, since I am still here in the states with an unactivated ATT iPhone. Is there any way I can tell that the unlock worked just by looking at the phone before I leave?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Youll just have to stick a non-AT&T SIM in to see. Got any friends with T-Mobile or any other carrier that's GSM?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

After activating with AT&T sim card and unlocked with Ultrasn0w version 1.1.1, you can put any GSM sim in it, if it doesn't say Unsupported Sim, you are good to go but if you want to be on the safe side, like Anniex suggested , put a working T-mobile sim and make a call.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    After activating with AT&T sim card and unlocked with Ultrasn0w version 1.1.1, you can put any GSM sim in it, if it doesn't say Unsupported Sim, you are good to go but if you want to be on the safe side, like Anniex suggested , put a working T-mobile sim and make a call.
    Cool I'll see if I can find a TMO SIM card but I don't know anyone off the top of my head who is on it. Even posted to Facebook and got nothing! Maybe I need more friends Thanks for the help, got my fingers crossed!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well if you cant find anyone and dont mind spending $5-$10 you can get a prepaid SIM on eBay to test it out. Otherwise, youll just have to wait till you get out of the country and use the foreign SIM and see if it works.