Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock not working with new bootrom 3GS

Default Unlock not working with new bootrom 3GS
    I recently bought a 3GS originally on 3.1.3. I jailbroke it but then restored to 4.0.1 to jailbreak with jailbreakme and unlock. I am unable to get the unlock with ultrasn0w to work with my tmobile sim. Any ideas y? I'm assuming it is "activated" through iTunes from an inactive AT&T sim since I can use all features except phone services.

Other info that maybe useful:
    New bootrom
    Modem firmware 5.13.04

Quote Originally Posted by Slinglfe View Post
    I recently bought a 3GS originally on 3.1.3. I jailbroke it but then restored to 4.0.1 to jailbreak with jailbreakme and unlock. I am unable to get the unlock with ultrasn0w to work with my tmobile sim. Any ideas y? I'm assuming it is "activated" through iTunes from an inactive AT&T sim since I can use all features except phone services.

Other info that maybe useful:
    New bootrom
    Modem firmware 5.13.04
    Absolutely no reason it shouldn't work. Your baseband is compatible. Have you turned off 3G? Do that and give it a hard reboot, then tell me what happens. How'd you get past the initial emergency call screen? You'd either need hacktivation or an AT&T sim for that.

3G is off, no emergency screen. i've tried rebooting with the ATT sim and Tmobile sim. I do get the "Waiting for activation" popup but I can slide to unlock and use it as an ipt.

3G is off, no emergency screen. i've tried rebooting with the ATT sim and Tmobile sim. I do get the "Waiting for activation" popup but I can slide to unlock and use it as an ipt.
    Alright. I'm not sure what the issue is, but try reinstalling ultrasn0w.

In case you want to start from scratch and restore, this is the process:

Restore to 4.0.1 if you've got SHSHs on file for it. Do so with the AT&T sim card in the phone.

It'll reboot and iTunes will kick the phone past the emergency call screen. Don't restore from backup or set up as new phone, just unplug from your iTunes. The phone will say "Waiting for Activation...". Just keep the AT&T sim in for now.

Hop on your WiFi, jailbreak at jailbreakme.com. Let Cydia update, if needed. Install ultrasn0w from Cydia. CommCenter will restart. Turn off 3G and pop in your T-Mobile sim. You may need to reboot after this. You'll get another pop up saying the phone is activated. It should all be working 100% after this - go through whatever method you choose to get MMS working (plist override, LEI Mobile or PushFix packages, etc). I've done this numerous times on a 3G, 3GS, and a 4, so there's no reason it shouldn't work. After you're up and on the network, you're free to restore from a backup if you wish.
    Last edited by n1c3jack3t; 2010-08-20 at 07:40 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to n1c3jack3t For This Useful Post:

Slinglfe (2010-08-21)

Quote Originally Posted by n1c3jack3t View Post
    Alright. I'm not sure what the issue is, but try reinstalling ultrasn0w.

In case you want to start from scratch and restore, this is the process:

Restore to 4.0.1 if you've got SHSHs on file for it. Do so with the AT&T sim card in the phone.

It'll reboot and iTunes will kick the phone past the emergency call screen. Don't restore from backup or set up as new phone, just unplug from your iTunes. The phone will say "Waiting for Activation...". Just keep the AT&T sim in for now.

Hop on your WiFi, jailbreak at jailbreakme.com. Let Cydia update, if needed. Install ultrasn0w from Cydia. CommCenter will restart. Turn off 3G and pop in your T-Mobile sim. You may need to reboot after this. You'll get another pop up saying the phone is activated. It should all be working 100% after this - go through whatever method you choose to get MMS working (plist override, LEI Mobile or PushFix packages, etc). I've done this numerous times on a 3G, 3GS, and a 4, so there's no reason it shouldn't work. After you're up and on the network, you're free to restore from a backup if you wish.

Follow his steps i recently had the same problem as you, and this worked for me.

I first tried reinstalling ultrasn0w with no success.

I then restored to 4.0.1 with the AT&T sim card as instructed, got past the emergency call screen, jailbroke, and installed ultrasn0w again. I turned off 3G and inserted my active tmobile sim. I did not get the "activated" popup. A restart gave me the "waiting for activation" popup again.

Funny thing is that I have a voice mail waiting and when i remove and re-insert the tmobile sim, i immediately get the VM notification, a 2-3 sec search for signal, and back to no service.

What else can I try?

I first tried reinstalling ultrasn0w with no success.

I then restored to 4.0.1 with the AT&T sim card as instructed, got past the emergency call screen, jailbroke, and installed ultrasn0w again. I turned off 3G and inserted my active tmobile sim. I did not get the "activated" popup. A restart gave me the "waiting for activation" popup again.

Funny thing is that I have a voice mail waiting and when i remove and re-insert the tmobile sim, i immediately get the VM notification, a 2-3 sec search for signal, and back to no service.

What else can I try?
    That's really strange that it's not activating. Do you have a data plan (not sure if it's required, but just trying to weigh all variables)?

First, try resetting your network settings: General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

If we're still f'd up, let's try hacktivating. First, uninstall ultrasn0w and reboot.

Go to Cydia and add this source:

Cydia.pushfix.info

In that repo, find "hacktivation patch" and install it. Reboot if needed. Install ultrasn0w and give it a reboot then let me know what happens. Kind of stumped, so I'm seeing what else I can do to help. Will report back if I find anything.

Also - what happens when you set it up as a new phone in iTunes. I.e. when you plug it back into iTunes, does it populate with your phone number, the IMEI of the device, etc.
    Last edited by n1c3jack3t; 2010-08-21 at 05:31 AM.

I've tried resetting network settings but problem persists.

Restoring, hactivating, and unlocking still gives me no service.

Phone number and serial number do populate in iTunes.

I have a similar problem. Don't know if I should add to this or start a new thread. My phone is a 3GS with 3.1.3 on it. It was locked out. Activitated it with the phonebook card. Then jailbreaked with JailbreakMe.c*m. Tried unlocking with ultrasn0w but it doesn't work. Tried re-installing ultrasn0w. Same result.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

In cydia , add this repo : cydia. Pushfix. Info and then install the lockdown patch.

I tried the lockdown hactivation patch suggested but still get the same result. Only visible change is removing the "waiting for activation" popup
    Last edited by Slinglfe; 2010-08-21 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Correction

i have same prolem when i jailbreak with redsnow and leave the sim installed the whole time inculding the unlock

3GS restored to 4.0 through Cydia and have the same problem, No Service. But my phone# and serial# do populate in iTunes. T-Mobile carrier.

i have longlines and as soon as the new ultrasnow came out my service stopped working
    oes say i have a voice mail

I tried the lockdown hactivation patch suggested but still get the same result. Only visible change is removing the "waiting for activation" popup
    I really have no clue. Ive been restoring my 3GS all day and I can't replicate the problem. Are the contacts on your sim damaged, or being blocked at all? Do you have a friend's that you could borrow to test if it's a problem with the sim? Like I said, I can only get the "no service" and "searching" problems when I have 3G on. Are you unlocking with 3G already switched off?
    Last edited by n1c3jack3t; 2010-08-22 at 01:04 AM.

I don't think it's a sim problem as the number populates in iTunes. But I'll still give it a shot since I don't know what else to try at this point

do u think this is a hardware issue mine just works randomly for about an hour then no service

I was beginning to think it could be a hardware issue as all of my attempts have failed to get a working signal. But then there are several posts with other users experiencing the same problem while others cannot reproduce the same results.

So I don't know if we're looking at isolated cases where ultrasn0w doesn't work which I have yet to find a reason why. Or do I have a physical antenna issue which I would like to know how to verify.

here is the del mine worked just fine unlocked on 3.1.3 until the new ultrasn)w came out. its been hell ever since. now my phone shows i have full reception and my carrier but i cannot call or send messeges