Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to unlock virgin 3GS on 3.1.3?

Default How to unlock virgin 3GS on 3.1.3?
    Greetings all,

I have a 3GS, one of the older ones, which has never been unlocked or jailbroken. It was a gift from an Apple devotee who always has the very latest and therefore didn't need this old thing anymore.

Anyway, how do I unlock it?

Have not tried to look up the bootrom yet, but since my benefactor is an early adopter, I think it must be the old one.

Firmware: 5.12.1

Do I have to downgrade first, and to what? I don't see specific instructions anywhere to do that for 3.1.3.

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

BTW, I'm not very technical and don't own a Mac. I don't mind paying someone to do this, but the people I've called won't tell me what software or procedure they would use. It's a "trade secret". I'd like to know what they're putting on my phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You don't have to downgrade and you can't if you wanted too. Go to Spiritjb.com to jailbreak and install Ultrasn0w from Cydia after the jailbreak.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

jordanjones (2010-08-18)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Dont pay

Once you gather all the necessary info and tools, youll find it quite simple and not worth paying for.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

jordanjones (2010-08-18)

Once you've double checked the bootrom, and confirmed it's the old one, you can use spirit2pwn and snowbreeze/pwnagetool to get to the 4.0 OS if you wanted it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

jordanjones (2010-08-18)

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I have the old bootrom.

Finally looked at the wiki too.

If I use Spirit,then I cannot use Pwnage tool 4.01, correct? Then I think I'd need to borrow a Mac and use an earlier version of Pwnage tool first?

Besides spirit2pwn, is there yet another tool to get 4.0 etc.?

Seems there are spirit/non-spirit paths and you have to choose one; is that correct?
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

There is no other way to get to 4.0 besides using Pwnage tools after Spirit2pwn method as you don't have 4.0 nor 4.0.1 shsh blogs.

I ended up using jailbreakme.com then ultrasn0w. Worked like a charm. I'll worry about upgrading later. Thanks again for your input.