Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3G - original sim card removed/phone restored

Default iphone 3G - original sim card removed/phone restored
    I'm not someone who ever really cared to have an iphone and I'm baffled at the amount of time I've spent trying to figure out how to use this phone as an ipod and for wi-fi. Here is my tale of woe:

I purchased the iPhone 3G and AT&T plan for a now ex-boyfriend with bad credit. So. We've established that I'm an idiot and you can probably see where this is going. He kept the phone and the plan until he decided that he couldn't pay for the phone anymore. He stuck me with the bill. As these things go, he refused to pay the bill and I threatened to sue over our "verbal agreement". I finally I got the iPhone back as compensation for the bill. I said I would sell the phone to pay the bill, but actually I'm not going to. This is because he fought like a 7-year-old over this phone, refusing the return it. He even threatened to urinate on it. Now, I think it's only fitting that I keep it and use it for my own enjoyment. There's no AT&T service to the phone anymore and, as one final stab, he removed the sim card and restored the phone. Right now it is a hunk of junk.

I've read a lot of forums and guides on how to get this thing up and running, but all my efforts have led to dead-ends and iTunes errors. Possibily because I have no sim card? Or, if I do, because it's not an AT&T sim card? The phone is locked, perhaps even deactivated at this point, and I need to know how I should proceed. I know there are explanations and guides on how to do this, but it's awfully, awfully confusing when you don't even know what firmware the phone is running. I need a real, live person to give me advice. Please excuse me if my questions are stupid. As I said, I never intended to have an iPhone.

Here is what I have (or will soon have). From what I read, I am hopeful that these things will help me get the phone working as an ipod and for wi-fi:

iPhone 3G (stuck on make emergency calls)
    Windows Vista
    Active T-mobile Sim Card
    (in the mail) New AT&T GoPhone Sim Card
    (in the mail) Used AT&T Sim Card (was in an iPhone 3G)

When I say "in the mail" I mean that I bought these things off ebay for a couple of bucks with the hope that they could help me. I "hope" that restoring the phone without a sim card in it did not deactivate it and that putting a used AT&T sim in it will open it up. Of course, that is only being hopefully with my scant knowledge of the phone.

Thank you in advance.

You don't need an AT&T SIM

Restore the phone in iTunes - this will update it to iOS4.02

Download IOS4.0 from http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....3_Restore.ipsw

Download RedSn0w from http://iphwn.org/get/redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5.zip

Run RedSn0w and when it asks for your ipsw point it at the one you downloaded

Your phone will now work as an iPod.

In Cydia, add the repo - repo666.UltraSn0w.com and install UltraSn0w

You can now use your phone with your T-Mobile SIM (Make sure you turn off 3G and have a data plan.

Enjoy!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I'm posting from my phone so idont have a link, but go to TheAppleBlog and search for pre paid iPhone. They have a guide that will turn an old iPhone into a pre paid device which basically just blocks the data portion so that you have to use wifi. You should be able to put a useless go phone sim card in and use it as you have described.

Thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    You don't need an AT&T SIM

Restore the phone in iTunes - this will update it to iOS4.02

Download IOS4.0 from http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....3_Restore.ipsw

Download RedSn0w from http://iphwn.org/get/redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5.zip

Run RedSn0w and when it asks for your ipsw point it at the one you downloaded

Your phone will now work as an iPod.

In Cydia, add the repo - repo666.UltraSn0w.com and install UltraSn0w

You can now use your phone with your T-Mobile SIM (Make sure you turn off 3G and have a data plan.

Enjoy!
    I re-downloaded the firmware and the version of RedSn0w you linked to. I have attempted this before and was experiencing an issue which led me to believe maybe it was because there was no sim card.

When the iPhone goes into DFU mode, RedSn0w gets stuck on "Waiting to Reboot" and then it does nothing. I've left the program sit for a whole day while I was at work and still nothing more happens. I just tried it again with what you said and the problem remains.

Quote Originally Posted by phatcamaro View Post
    I'm posting from my phone so idont have a link, but go to TheAppleBlog and search for pre paid iPhone. They have a guide that will turn an old iPhone into a pre paid device which basically just blocks the data portion so that you have to use wifi. You should be able to put a useless go phone sim card in and use it as you have described.
    Is this the page you were referring to?

How-To: Give Your Old iPhone New Life With Prepaid Data and Minutes
    Last edited by diabolicalcrayon; 2010-08-16 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If the phone sticks at 'Waiting to Reboot' just unplug the cable and plug it straight back in again, that will kickstart the process.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If the phone sticks at 'Waiting to Reboot' just unplug the cable and plug it straight back in again, that will kickstart the process.
    I've also read about that fix and, though I just gave it another shot, the problem persists.

Do you think it makes a difference that I am using an ipod cable? My ex kept that as well just to be a jerk. But, from what I read, they seem to be interchangeable.

It does, iPod cables are not the same as iPhone cables - they work for most things but I wouldn't use one to JB.

Can you borrow an iPhone cable just for the JB?

This is kind of weird, but I got it to work with the ipod cable. What I did was this: When it was stuck on the "waiting to reboot screen", I left RedSn0w open and I opened itunes and restored the phone again. This kicked RedSn0w into gear somehow, but it didn't actually load anything onto my phone. I closed everything and I tried to use Red Snow again like normal and it didn't get stuck this time. It's jailbroken!!! Very strange... I can't believe it's working now! Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by diabolicalcrayon; 2010-08-16 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Glad you got it sorted

Enjoy.