Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please Help me!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Exclamation Please Help me!
    Hey everyone,

I'm a single dad, and i just bought an iphone 4 for my daughter, she's wanted one since the first iphone came out but i never had the money to buy her one, until now, i finally saved up for her iphone 4 after 2 years (i don't make much money), i plan on giving it to her for her birthday and christmas present. But i dont want her to have to deal with all this jailbreaking and unlocking stuff since she doesnt know much about this and neither do i, which is the point of this thread..i live in Honduras in Central America and her iphone comes tomorrow, her birthday is on sunday.

My issue is, i dont know how to do it..and i really want to do this right for her, i think the phone comes with 4.0.1 which is still jailbreakable, i've asked a friend of mine to buy me a prepaid AT&T card or a phonebook sim to activate it..but i'm worried i may screw something up like 'oops' upgrading..

Basically what i'm asking for is can you guys PLEASE give me kind of a step by step of what i should do from opening the box to unlocking..ive read a lot of articles but dont undertand most of the things they're talking about..please help me this is really important for me!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You are so so so very sweet. I adore it! Anyway... The iPhone 4 uses a microSIM so you should either watch some videos to learn how to cut the AT&T SIM or buy one of those SIM cutters. You wont be able to fit a standard SIM into the phone.

When you acquire the appropriate SIM, you expect to activate it, correct? Do so with the SIM and iTunes. iTunes will activate it.

Now you need it unlocked? After activation, go to Safari and go to JailbreakMe. You will need to do this to jailbreak and then unlock. After jailbreakme finishes, find Cydia on the homescreen. Open and search "ultrasn0w" (thats a zero not an O) and install it. Let the phone reboot. You should be all set now

Warning: make sure youre getting an iPhone that is NOT on 4.0.2. Jailbreakme only works on 4.0.1. I believe Redsn0w can now JB 4.0.2, but I am not sure about that.

When you get everything all set up, be sure to go to Cydia again and click on the "make my life easier" button in the home page. It will save SHSH blobs. This ensures that you can restore the phone in case anything goes wrong. You may also use TinyUmbrella on your computer to back these files up.

I know its a lot to take in, but if you need any more help, i will be gladly to assist you along the way.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Gurpreetdc (2010-08-13), pr23 (2010-08-13)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me.

I do know about the micro sim and have a tutorial on how to do it, I've practiced on some old sim and every single one still works, i tried them on my nokia which uses normal mini sim but you can also fit a micro sim on the tray.

What I'm worried about is that i read i must have an AT&T sim or a phonebook sim, to activate it and them I'm supposed to download a hacktivation patch or something like that(???) but according to Sherif Hashim, the guy who figured this out, this is very simple.

Another thing that has me worried is that as soon as i connect the iphone to itunes it my try to upgrade it...would this happen? (the phone comes with 4.0.1 i made sure) thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

For a guy who "doesnt have time" for this stuff, you sure know your stuff! Great job researching

The SIM is needed to activate, just do what youve learned and you should be ok. If iTunes prompts for you to update (which it will) just click cancel to avoid it. Whenever the phone gets plugged into iTunes, KEEP AN EYE ON IT cuz you dont want it to do any funny stuff and mess your phone up. Dont ever click anything until you read the pop up. iTunes shouldnt upgrade the phone without you clicking ok.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well on something this big i've made time haha i guess for now i have what i need, i'll report back when i have the phone, thank you so much for your help!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No problem. Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your success when you receive the phone

My phone shows "iPhone diabled connect to iTunes store"

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gurpreetdc View Post
    My phone shows "iPhone diabled connect to iTunes store"
    Perhaps youd like to start your own thread with more details about your phone like what firmware its on, what carrier its locked to, and what you are trying to do. That would help a lot. More people can help you this way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey it's me writing back..so here's at where we stand, we jailbroke it and unlocked it successfully, i cut the sim almost perfect and installed the hacktivation patch, everything worked like a charm...except...the camera.. =s everytime we try to open the camera it freezes and reboots the iphone(?!) i researched a little since i didn't find much but form what i read the only solution people found was to return the phone and get a new one, which i can't do since we live in central america!..she's pretty bummed out about this you should have seen how the smile on her face was wiped out by this...what's your take on this? have you heard anything similar?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Save your shsh, and restore to 4.0.1 and rejailbreak

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah do a restore. Hopefully it's just a software problem.

You don't need the SHSHs right now to restore to 4.0.1 but it's best to back it up now. Go to Cydia and click the make my life easier button on the home page. download TinyUmbrella on your comp just in case you couldn't access the Cydia method.

Download the 4.0.1 ipsw from the downloads section here on MMi.

In iTunes, hold shift and click restore at the same time. Select the 4.0.1 ipsw.

When the restore finishes, do the jailbreak and unlock again.

Do this quick before Apple stops signing 4.0.1. You can't jailbreak 4.0.2 yet and you really need to save the SHSHs for 4.0.1 before it's too late.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey, good news, i don't know if this may be the case for anyone with this problem, but i started trying different apps that used the camera to verify if it was a software problem or hardware, so, when using I Am T-Pain app and switched to video mode, the camera suddenly worked, and has been working perfectly ever since!