Results 1 to 10 of 10

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 3G needs activating after unlock but no sim

  1. #1
    Default 3G needs activating after unlock but no sim
    I have upgraded to OS4.0.1 but not it needs activating. The phone says put in a valid sim card but I dont know who the carrier is.
    Im in the UK so it must be locked to a carrier in a different country as the only carrier in the UK was O2 and thats what sim I have.
    I have tried redsn0w but it asks for an ISPW file that I dont have (at least I dont think I have it)
    Can anyone help.

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Download 3G 4.0 ipsw and Redsn0w 0.9.5b5. Redsn0w will hactivate , jailbreak for you

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Download 3G 4.0 ipsw and Redsn0w 0.9.5b5. Redsn0w will hactivate , jailbreak for you
    This will only work with the old bootrom, right?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitor Teixeira View Post
    This will only work with the old bootrom, right?
    old\new bootrom is a distinction between iPhones 3G[s], hence, iPhone 3g could be activated as stated above, however, iPhone 3G[S] cannot be hacktivated since 3.1.3, unless already Jailbroken with a supported software.
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

  5. #5
    Thanks for the replies guys, I have been struggling to download a working IPSW file but it seems IE changes the file extension to .zip . Now that I have worked that out I'm going to give it one last shot.
    If I have another epic failure would one of you kind souls send me an old AT&T sim card as Apple have now told me it is a US phone and not a UK one.
    Again thanks for the replies and lets hope I have finally worked out how to hacktivate a iPhone.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by drmias View Post
    oldnew bootrom is a distinction between iPhones 3G[s], hence, iPhone 3g could be activated as stated above, however, iPhone 3G[S] cannot be hacktivated since 3.1.3, unless already Jailbroken with a supported software.
    My mistake, you're absolutely right.
    Since i'm in the "3GS emergency screen train", i thought he was too!

    (waiting for a phonebook SIM to hactivate...)

  7. #7
    At last it's done!!!! Thanks everyone for your help, and to anyone else out there, if your wanting an *.ipsw file then don't download in with IE as it changes the file extension to .zip . Use safari or Google chrome and after that it's as easy as ABC

  8. #8
    sorry for the question as i have been out of the loop for a while but will this also work for a 3G that has been upvgraded to 4.0.2. its just a friend of mine bought a 3g from america and accidentally upgraded their software on itunes( even though i specifically advised them not to lol)so have now lost their unlock and have no AT&T sim to activate it.

    also if this is possible then is it also possible to downgrade to 3.1.3 after this?

    Thanks for answering my questions

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Francey View Post
    sorry for the question as i have been out of the loop for a while but will this also work for a 3G that has been upvgraded to 4.0.2. its just a friend of mine bought a 3g from america and accidentally upgraded their software on itunes( even though i specifically advised them not to lol)so have now lost their unlock and have no AT&T sim to activate it.

    also if this is possible then is it also possible to downgrade to 3.1.3 after this?

    Thanks for answering my questions
    Well, he can use redsn0w 0.9.5 beta to jailbreak/'hacktivate' and then install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock. And that's it, pretty simple

  10. #10
    I will be doing it fir him and it seems pretty straightforward thanks for the advice I've never had to hacktivate before. So will I be able to just download 3.1.3 software and use redsnow to activate and jailbreak using this while also downgrading firmware thanks

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •