Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS new bootroom update to 4.0.1 confusion

Default iPhone 3GS new bootroom update to 4.0.1 confusion
    Hello all

I currently have iPhone 3gs on 3.1.3 new bootroom. It is activated via AT&T sim which I don't currently have. It is jailbroken and unlocked. I want to know that if I update it to iOS 4.0.1 via iTunes than will I again have to activate it after the update?

Adam

I believe so. You will need an ATT sim which you can get on ebay. Very cheap. Mine was a deactivated SIM that I had from an upgrade to iPhone 4.

Did iTunes ask you for original owner info such as billing zip code and Ss#?

@6309
    eBay is not in my country. I'll buy the phonebook sim card

@ hasan
    no I don't believe so

@ others

I still want a confirmation from you guys who updated there iPhone 3GS to 4.0.1

>I want to know that if I update it to iOS 4.0.1 via iTunes than will I again have to activate it after the update?

Yes. You need an ATT SIM or need to go the phone book SIM hack. I would try and find an ATT SIM or look locally for an unlock service - over here it's $5 to unlock.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaddaam View Post
    I still want a confirmation from you guys who updated there iPhone 3GS to 4.0.1
    I just bought a used 3GS from a buddy who bought the new iPhone 4. Fortunately he left his old SIM card in it, but yes you will have to reactivate it.

Im in the same boat as OP, however i can easily obtain an AT&T sim, I have three questions, first off, im on 3.1.2 unlocked/jailbroken through tethered blackrain, 5.11.07, new bootrom. Does the new jailbreakme site have the ability to jailbreak these specs once upgraded to 4.0.1? And then, is the new ultrasnow able to unlock the same phone once possibly jailbroken if the previous answer is yes? And last, is there a way to back up all my cydia downloads and just be able to upgrade to 4.0.1 with my phone exactly as it is now? Only reason i need to upgrade is my wifi is messed up from that dreaded 3.1.2 jailbreak and im hoping 4.0.1 will fix that issue

If u update to 4.0.1 you will need to activate it
    i have a 3gs was on 4.0 n updated to 4.0.1 and was asked to activate
    lucky me i had a cingular sim from years ago and that did the job.

Shameless self bump :/