Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Activation (after PhoneBook Card didn't work)

Default iPhone 3GS Activation (after PhoneBook Card didn't work)
    Hi,
    I just restored my iPhonee 3GS to 4.0.1 . I got it from AT&T 2 years ago but already moved to Europe and lost the original sim card. I paid 40$ to get the Phonebook Card from DITS.COM but it doesn't work ( I think Sherif's video was a scam..).

My other option is to order and AT&T sim card from Amazon.
    Did someone tried it before? What sould I get:
    1. AT&T Sim Card - Brand New Unactivated
    or
    2. Brand New ATT 3g Sim Card 4 At&t
    or
    3. Anything else you think might work..

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Guy

I have a phonebook sim card too, when I inserted it and launched iTunes everything seemed to be fine, the iPhone 4 was activated (4.0.1.). But then when I inserted my Dutch T-Mobile sim card the iPhone went right back to the activation screen, it said that another sim was inserted and I had to connect it to iTunes. Removing my Dutch sim made the activation screen disappear. I hadn't read anything about this problem before I experienced it. Now I see more and more people with this problem, could Apple have changed the servers that check it so it doesn't work anymore when you insert another sim?

BTW. The video was no scam, since my phone DID activate, but when I insert my T-mob sim again it's blocked again.. :S

Please help! (us)

Itunes activation and carrier unlock are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by ennoid417 View Post
    Itunes activation and carrier unlock are two different things.
    I know that, this doesn't concern the unlock whatsoever, even if it's not jailbroken, fresh install. When I insert the phonebook it seems to activate so the 'connect to itunes logo' disappears.. but as soon I insert my T-mob sim the image appears again and the phone is unusable again.

Quote Originally Posted by fabie1 View Post
    I have a phonebook sim card too, when I inserted it and launched iTunes everything seemed to be fine, the iPhone 4 was activated (4.0.1.). But then when I inserted my Dutch T-Mobile sim card the iPhone went right back to the activation screen, it said that another sim was inserted and I had to connect it to iTunes. Removing my Dutch sim made the activation screen disappear. I hadn't read anything about this problem before I experienced it. Now I see more and more people with this problem, could Apple have changed the servers that check it so it doesn't work anymore when you insert another sim?

BTW. The video was no scam, since my phone DID activate, but when I insert my T-mob sim again it's blocked again.. :S

Please help! (us)
    Then you are a lucky one. what you need to do is activate it again with the phonebook card, go to jailbreakme.com and jailbreak your phone, then install ultrasnow on it from Cydia

you need to jailbreak and unlock before inserting the T mobile sim
    Last edited by guysion; 2010-08-05 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ultrasn0w is an unlock to use an unofficial carrier, like tmobile. Must unlock the iphone to use tmobile sim card. Activation and unlock are two different things. Phonebook card is for activation to use your Iphone like a Ipod. Jailbreak and unlock will allow you to use your Iphone like a Iphone. Unless your factory unlock Iphone or have your official/original Iphone carrier sim card with a plan, Your going to have to Jailbreak it and unlock. Period.

Google is your friend.
    Last edited by ennoid417; 2010-08-05 at 06:02 PM. Reason: official

Quote Originally Posted by ennoid417 View Post
    Ultrasn0w is an unlock to use an unofficial carrier, like tmobile. Must unlock the iphone to use tmobile sim card. Activation and unlock are two different things. Phonebook card is for activation to use your Iphone like a Ipod. Jailbreak and unlock will allow you to use your Iphone like a Iphone. Unless your factory unlock Iphone or have your official at&t sim card with a plan, Your going to have to Jailbreak it and unlock. Period.

Google is your friend.
    Believe me, I know all about jailbreaking, unlocking, etc. Have had a jailbreak since day 1 in 2007, and have a lot of experience on this subject. I know that I need to unlock in order to use the sim for calling. I've done it twice by now, complete restore, then after the restore.. inserted the DITS phonebook sim card, all went fine... iTunes recognized it, phone activated... then I went to jailbreakme.com and I installed ultrasn0w from Cydia. Rebooted, even did hard reset.. inserted T-mobile sim card.. and bammm back was the activation screen. I'm all out of ideas, so please somebody help.

it might be a new problem that is about to hit many people very soon, lets see...
    what do you recommend me to do? buy a prepaid at&t or an un-activated one from amazon. phonebook card didn't work for me.
    Last edited by guysion; 2010-08-05 at 06:28 PM.

Yes this is the problem i'm actually facing with don't know wat to do with this problem. even I'm using this jailbreak methods from day 1 facing this ew problem. Till now I have done many phone's which worked well in those mobiles now when it comes to my mobile I'm facing a serious problem of this. I'm not sure that this might be a problem hoping to find out solution, I'm working on it...

Know more updates of tech and iPhone @ Demon's Tech

I just read another post of this guy with same problem. att phone - jailbreak - unlock - inserted t-mobile Sim and phone jumped to emergency calls only screen.

http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...-mb-model.html

I'm struck with this emergency calls screen after jailbreaking and unlocking the device using jailbreakme.com, When i insert an unofficial carrier it goes back to emergency calls screen saying "different sim detected please connect to iTunes" any one have solutions for this???? I'm ****** up :-(

me too! i used universal sim.. and after using my original carrier sim it's locked again!!
    guys.. it's new apple trick! i did lot's of activations.. now it's not working.. OMG! now we have iphones-ipods.....

here is the massage we all get after using official sim-cards..
    Last edited by hila47; 2010-08-05 at 11:19 PM.

Ok, guys, this is the solution! It worked instantly for me: I phone Diff sim detected connect to itunes after unlock solution 100% - GSM-Forum

Do this without any sim inside, then turn the phone off, install your carrier sim, and boot up again.. bamm works like a charm!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEHHHHHHHHHH
    it's working!!!!
    Thanks Thanks Thanksssssssssssssssssss
    now my wife won't kill me.. it's her iphone!!!

what about my problem? anyone?>>>

Quote Originally Posted by guysion View Post
    what about my problem? anyone?>>>
    I think your problem is very rare, you've tried a restore so then I would say.. if your phonebook sim didn't activate the phone after a restore it may be broken.. Does it show no signal or no service when you have it inserted or does it show nothing? Your problem is that you're stuck at the activation screen right? So you also can't ssh into your phone I guess.. maybe you can access your files with something like iPhone explorer. You could try to remove the lockdownd folder or do the same as in the tutorial if you can get access to the files. Maybe your phone has old activation files in place which is why it;s not working. I would try to do that and otherwise get an AT&T sim from somewhere. Hope you can solve it!

there is a rumor that apple will make the iphone check-sim again from time to time.. so we will need to activate it again and again.... hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by fabie1 View Post

Please help! (us)
    Hi Man, I think what you have to do is to keep the phonebook simcard again in your phone, let it activate. then jailbreak with the same card inside, unlock then you can try your Dutch sim in ti. That's what I will do to, because I just ordered that phonebook Sim card but I haven't received it yet. try my option and let me know. Appel suppose to unlock all hi devices now before selling. I have same iphone from US, it was jailbroken before I bought it on ebay, when I got it, I accidentaly upgraded to 3gs-V3.1.3 and it was no longer activated -. I have been waiting for a solution till I found this posting from Sheriff and I hope I will solve my problem.. Where did you buy the phonebook SIM Card?
    Cheers

i have bought the Dits phonebook card,and not working for my iphone 3gs newboot rom 3.1.3

Please help

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Invalid SIM when switching SIM after activation + jailbreak + unlock - Hackint0sh you can check here for another method on how to patch lockdownnd to fix this problem.