Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activation of 3GS with old inactive sim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Activation of 3GS with old inactive sim
    Pls excuse if this has already asked but unable to find the exact info for my following questions:

Have a 3GS (new bootrom) on 3.1.3 presently JB with Spirit and unlocked with ultrasn0w which I would like to upgrade to 4.0.1.

1.Can I use a custom 4.0.1 with Activation made via sn0wbreeze?
    If I need to do a restore in the future can I restore with the custom 4.0.1 (have saved SHSH for 4.0.1 on Cydia)?

2.My fone is locked to a Danish carrier. I have an old inactive simcard from same carrier. Can I use this if I do a normal update via iTunes to get past the Activation window and then JB/unlock with JailbreakMe/ultrasn0w?

http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...1-3-4-0-a.html

After I installed Cydia it seems that it did the SHSH automatically since it said it had saved numbers on file.
    I used an inactive ATT sim on mine. I did basically #2 but with ATT inactive SIM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks #6309phone.
    I can see you used your original, though de-activated, sim-card.
    My sim-card is not the original that can with the 3GS but a sim-card from the carrier.
    Do you or anyone else know what iTunes/Apple checkes on the simcard? I mean, do you think iTunes will Activate the fone with this old de-activated simcard?
    Would like to be 110% certain before I do the upgrade as otherwise I'll just be stuck with a 'bricked' iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Norup58 View Post
    Thanks #6309phone.
    I can see you used your original, though de-activated, sim-card.
    My sim-card is not the original that can with the 3GS but a sim-card from the carrier.
    Do you or anyone else know what iTunes/Apple checkes on the simcard? I mean, do you think iTunes will Activate the fone with this old de-activated simcard?
    Would like to be 110% certain before I do the upgrade as otherwise I'll just be stuck with a 'bricked' iPhone
    Put the SIM card from the official carrier in the phone then connect to ITunes and do the 4.0.1 upgrade. You will not even see an activation Screen and your data and apps will not be affected.
    Notice I said upgrade not restore.