Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating 2g iPhone

Question Activating 2g iPhone
    Here's the story. I have an older 2g iPhone (I upgraded to a 3Gs a few months ago). I inadvertently lost the SIM card that was in the 2g. I want to jailbreak and unlock the 2g to use when travelling overseas with a locally bought SIM, since AT&T charges an arm and a leg for International roaming.
    I tried jailbreaking the 2g using redsn0w. Don't know what I did wrong, but it now seems to be in an unactivated state. Since I do not have the original SIM I cannot activate it using iTunes. If I use the SIM from the 3GS, it seems to want to start a new contract with AT&T.
    I tried 'hacktivating' the 2g using redsn0w, but keep getting an error when trying to enter DFU mode (No device detected).

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Upgrade thru iTunes, should take you to 3.1.3.

Get Redsn0w 0.9.4

Get 3.1.2 ipsw ready (for redsn0w, yes you are going to 3.1.3 but for the jailbreak you will be using the 3.1.2 ipsw).

After upgrade is complete, run Redsn0w 0.9.4. You might need the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader binary files (google these, if you have windows or mac be specific in your search).

Run Redsn0w and follow the directions. Select "Cydia" and "Unlock" then proceed.

If you have any problems, feel free to PM me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

dannypat (2010-08-05)

Dear Anniex423:
    Thanks for the response. I have tried to do what you suggested. However ran into some issues.
    The problem I'm running into is that when I connect the phone to iTunes (without a SIM card installed), iTunes says the phone needs a SIM. If I install a non-AT&T SIM card, iTunes now complains that the SIM is not compatible. I do have a SIM card for my 3GS phone. When I use that iTunes tries to activate the 2G phone.
    If I continue with this activation, will I be tied into another contract with AT&T? And will I be able to use the SIM card with the 3GS phone (which I want to keep)?
    Thanks for your help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Put the phone in DFU mode to upgrade in iTunes. Then run Redsn0w. If DFU doesn't work for the restore, try putting it in Recovery Mode.