Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs want 4.0 jailbreakme help

Default 3gs want 4.0 jailbreakme help
    let me see if this is right. i have a 3gs and want to upgrade to 4.0. im a tmobile user so i need to upgrade to 4.0 and run jailbreakme with safari right? now the problem is once im done with the update to 4.0 its not going to let me use safari because im tomobile. so im kinda stuck on what to do.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

have you tried wifi?
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

what im talking about is after the update its not going to let me use my tmobile sim. so im going to be locked out of the phone.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well wouldnt you just go to Cydia and install Ultrasn0w after the jailbreakme jailbreak?

you guys still dont get it. after the update the phone is going to require activation and keep me at the emergency call screen. so you see i cant get to safari to use jailbreakme.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Edit: mustve mistaken and read things wrong. Anyway...

Get a phonebook SIM from radioshack or an AT&T SIM whichever is easiest for you to access and then you can bypass the emergency call screen. Then you can do the jailbreakme in Safari.

i have an att sim but it requires the billing zip and last 4 of the social from the last owner of the sim card.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You should probaby just grab a phonebook SIM from radioshack or somewhere then. It's just a SIM to store/transfer contacts. It should work to bypass the emergency call screen.

If you upgrade you do not have to activate the phone (as it is already activated). You will only have to activate it if you do a restore. I upgraded from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 and I have T-mobile and it didn't require me to re-activate the phone.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdeldridge View Post
    If you upgrade you do not have to activate the phone (as it is already activated). You will only have to activate it if you do a restore. I upgraded from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 and I have T-mobile and it didn't require me to re-activate the phone.
    sounds like a fluke that happened to me once. After upgrading it just brought me to my springboard, however, that only happened once. You'd have to reproduce the results consecutively to present that. Cuz I know I recently upgraded and not restored to 4.0.1 and still required hacktivation via redsn0w. I had the emergency call screen after the upgrade.

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 549 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinlow View Post
    let me see if this is right. i have a 3gs and want to upgrade to 4.0. im a tmobile user so i need to upgrade to 4.0 and run jailbreakme with safari right? now the problem is once im done with the update to 4.0 its not going to let me use safari because im tomobile. so im kinda stuck on what to do.
    Why not just pop the proper sim in to activate e.g O2, Vodapone, ATT.

Then when its activated run WiFi for Ultrasn0w ?
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button

What you should do is cook a custom firmware and restore to that. Use pwnage/snowbreeze (your blobs are stored, right?) and be sure to check "activate."

Anyway to do this without the PhonebookSIM?

>you guys still dont get it. after the update the phone is going to require activation and keep me at the emergency call screen. so you see i cant get to safari to use jailbreakme.

I think you need a sim from the original carrier or the phonebook sim.