Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie in need of help; iPhone 3GS, unactivated, on old bootrom - iOS 4.0

Default Newbie in need of help; iPhone 3GS, unactivated, on old bootrom - iOS 4.0
    Hey all,

I bought a used iPhone 3GS off of Craigslist, which is currently unactivated and running iOS 4.0. To my knowledge - it's never been jailbroken before, and it has the old bootrom.

I've done a lot of research online, and I'm not really sure how to proceed. I only have a T-Mobile Sim Card (though I can definitely get an AT&T SIM card to use in a pinch), and I want to activate, jailbreak, and unlock the iPhone 3GS.

First - I guess I'd just like to know if this is possible - or if there's an easier way to jailbreak the phone I should just sit tight and wait for? Second - would it be better (or necessary) to first downgrade the phone - and can I do that with an unactivated phone?

If anyone could help me out - I'd really appreciate it! I don't want to damage/brick the phone, as I need to use it overseas. I've jailbroken my iPod Touch 1G in the past - but unocking the iPhone 3GS definitely seems a lot more involved. I just want to get some expert advice before I do anything wrong.

If it helps - I'm using a Macbook with OSX Snow Leopard, but I have access to a Windows 7 machine - so software for either OS works.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sycophantom View Post
    Hey all,

I bought a used iPhone 3GS off of Craigslist, which is currently unactivated and running iOS 4.0. To my knowledge - it's never been jailbroken before, and it has the old bootrom.

I've done a lot of research online, and I'm not really sure how to proceed. I only have a T-Mobile Sim Card (though I can definitely get an AT&T SIM card to use in a pinch), and I want to activate, jailbreak, and unlock the iPhone 3GS.

First - I guess I'd just like to know if this is possible - or if there's an easier way to jailbreak the phone I should just sit tight and wait for? Second - would it be better (or necessary) to first downgrade the phone - and can I do that with an unactivated phone?

If anyone could help me out - I'd really appreciate it! I don't want to damage/brick the phone, as I need to use it overseas. I've jailbroken my iPod Touch 1G in the past - but unocking the iPhone 3GS definitely seems a lot more involved. I just want to get some expert advice before I do anything wrong.

If it helps - I'm using a Macbook with OSX Snow Leopard, but I have access to a Windows 7 machine - so software for either OS works.

Thanks!
    You cannot jailbreak your 3GS at iOS 4.0 yet, therefore no unlock too. Just wait for the 4.0 jailbreak to be released.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Sycophantom (2010-07-30)

Thanks so much!

Do you have any idea when that'll be released? I don't need to use the phone until early September, but I'd like to at least test out some of the features to see if everything's in working order. Could I use a friend's AT&T SIM Card to activate the phone, then use it as an iPod Touch until the JB's released?