Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to this whole jailbreaking thing...

Default New to this whole jailbreaking thing...
    So I bought a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3 with 04.26.08 baseband, Umbrella says I have SHSHs for 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, and 4.0.1.
    Bootrom is 359.3 (old) but model # is MC132FB which is supposedly new bootrom?

I'm trying to update to 4.0 and jailbreak. My phone needs to be unlocked as I have T-Mobile. Reading around, the first step seems to be to downgrade to 3.1.2.

I did this successfully after a few attempts to get iTunes to contact the Cydia server (seems like you have to use iTunes 9.0.x or else you get the 3194 error). I now have jailbroken 3.1.2 using blackra1n RC3 and it is untethered, however, the baseband has been updated to 5.11.07, is this supposed to happen?

What would be the best way to proceed to update to 4.0? I am running on XP and don't have Mac access so I can't use PwnageTool.

Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the baseband is fine you can use ultrasn0w to unlock. and to update to 4.0 jailbreak with sn0wbreeze.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Great, you have the old boot and you have your SHSH files backed up. Youre also jailbroken so awesome. MC models that have new boot i believe are iPod only. You can have the old boot on the 3GS. If all of the above is true, I believe you can upgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak with Spirit if you cant use PwnageTool. Spirit does require an official carrier of the phone's SIM but I have been hearing around that you can get a phonebook SIM at radioshack too to activate and use Spirit.

If that fails, having your SHSH blobs saved, you can downgrade to 3.x.

I cant be 100% sure as I learned all this while browsing the forum so hopefuly somebody with a 3GS or experience with one can verify this information for us.

Dude....don't do it man. No good can come from jailbreaking a 3GS on 4.0, its not like a 3G where you can use Redsn0w. Unless if you are a personal friend of musclenerd a 3GS jailbreak is not out yet. Even if you could you would have to hack into the directory files and at best it would be a tethered jailbreak.

Wait until Comex comes out with the 4.0 jailbreak for all models, word on the street is that it is coming out on the 23rd but its just a rumor. Stay on 3.1.3 otherwise you are going to be screwed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob78h View Post
    So I bought a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3 with 04.26.08 baseband, Umbrella says I have SHSHs for 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, and 4.0.1.
    Bootrom is 359.3 (old) but model # is MC132FB which is supposedly new bootrom?

I'm trying to update to 4.0 and jailbreak. My phone needs to be unlocked as I have T-Mobile. Reading around, the first step seems to be to downgrade to 3.1.2.

I did this successfully after a few attempts to get iTunes to contact the Cydia server (seems like you have to use iTunes 9.0.x or else you get the 3194 error). I now have jailbroken 3.1.2 using blackra1n RC3 and it is untethered, however, the baseband has been updated to 5.11.07, is this supposed to happen?

What would be the best way to proceed to update to 4.0? I am running on XP and don't have Mac access so I can't use PwnageTool.

Thanks.
    You know why your Iphone version is 3.1.3 and BB 04.26.08 ? The person who sold you this Iphone has been using Custom Firmware after starting from 3.0. Now that you have upgraded your BB, you are still good. You want to go to iOS 4.0 , right ?
    Do this :
    Download SnowBreeze :1.6.2 or 1.7 and download the Official 4.0
    From here : www.iH8sn0w.com ,Create a custom firmware of SnowBreeze..ipsw which will be placed on your desktop.
    Do a shift + Restore to the cfw you created
    Once finished, you are already jailbroken at iOS 4.0
    Go the Cydia, let it update and install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    You are all set.
    In future always use custom firmware to upgrade or even downgrade and you don't need any shsh blogs when using Custom Fw because you have the old bootrom, like my Iphone, my BB is 04.26.08 and I am at iOS 4.0

Ok, I am going to give you an example to downgrade : let say you want to downgrade to 3.1.3, then you have to use SnowBreeze 1.5.2 to create a custom fw of 3.1.3. When you have created it, put your Iphone in Recovery mode and restore to the cfw 3.1.3. It will restore successfully without any error. When completed you are jailbroken at 3.1.3.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-07-22 at 06:47 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Oooh I totally forgot about custom firmwares and old boot 3GS phones! I forgot they can use them! Great info Yeow.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You know why your Iphone version is 3.1.3 and BB 04.26.08 ? The person who sold you this Iphone has been using Custom Firmware after starting from 3.0. Now that you have upgraded your BB, you are still good. You want to go to iOS 4.0 , right ?
    Do this :
    Download SnowBreeze :1.6.2 or 1.7 and download the Official 4.0
    From here : iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones ,Create a custom firmware of SnowBreeze..ipsw which will be placed on your desktop.
    Do a shift + Restore to the cfw you created
    Once finished, you are already jailbroken at iOS 4.0
    Go the Cydia, let it update and install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    You are all set.
    In future always use custom firmware to upgrade or even downgrade and you don't need any shsh blogs when using Custom Fw because you have the old bootrom, like my Iphone, my BB is 04.26.08 and I am at iOS 4.0

Ok, I am going to give you an example to downgrade : let say you want to downgrade to 3.1.3, then you have to use SnowBreeze 1.5.2 to create a custom fw of 3.1.3. When you have created it, put your Iphone in Recovery mode and restore to the cfw 3.1.3. It will restore successfully without any error. When completed you are jailbroken at 3.1.3.
    Thanks, this sounds like the way to go. Just one problem: in the great free world of China (note sarcasm) where I'm currently vacationing, blackra1n and other jailbreak sites are censored... So I have my blackra1n 3.1.2 jailbroken, but not unlocked. I can't download blacksn0w in the blackra1n app (says no internet connection) and my phone is not unlocked. However wifi in Safari works fine... Can I go directly to the custom firmware 4.0 with snowbreeze (since that will install Cydia) and then unlock with Ultrasn0w, or do I have to unlock in 3.1.2 first?

Also, should my iPhone be in DFU or Recovery mode for installing the custom firmware, or does it really not matter?

And last question: Any known issues/bugs with Snowbreeze and old boot 3GS jailbreak/unlock?
    Last edited by bob78h; 2010-07-22 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks

You don't have to unlock at 3.1.2, but now you are jailbroken with Blackra1n, you can restore again but this time to custom firmware made by SnowBreeze and Cydia will be there. I think you need wifi to update Cydia and then install Ultrasn0w.
    If not, then ssh into your Iphone and go get Ultrasn0w.deb into the phone but it is a bit complicated to do.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-07-22 at 08:56 AM.

Ok, I put my phone into Recovery mode and get Unknown Error (1), and in DFU mode I get Error 1600... What do I do?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Get recboot or other such program to kick it out of 1600 recovery. Google it to find one to suit your system.

Thanks

Ok, I put my phone into Recovery mode and get Unknown Error (1), and in DFU mode I get Error 1600... What do I do?
    If error 1 pops up upon the completion of the restore, then it is a loop, you can use recboot to boot up your Iphone. I don't think if you get error 1600, you can use recboot.

Reboot your pc, put your Iphone into recovery mode and restore again to cfw. Have ready your recboot or you can try using irecovery to get out of loop.

Error 1 pops up at the start of restore (same time as error 1600, at the "Preparing for restore" dialogue. Error 1 happens only in Recovery mode and Error 1600 happens only in DFU mode... I use iRecovery to get out of the Recovery mode loop but then I'm back where I started before the attempted restore.

Error 1 pops up at the start of restore (same time as error 1600, at the "Preparing for restore" dialogue. Error 1 happens only in Recovery mode and Error 1600 happens only in DFU mode... I use iRecovery to get out of the Recovery mode loop but then I'm back where I started before the attempted restore.

If you phone is presently working and you are back to where you started the best advise I would give you is to stay where you are. It is certainly possible to do what you are attempting to do. However, we are expecting new tools to JB version 4 of the FW and as soon as these are released the process will be so much simpler for a first timer. When the new tool is release you will be able to upgrade normally through Itunes to version 4.0.1 and then Jailbreak with the "New SPIRIT" then unlock with the existing Ultrasn0w.

Thanks

There are two possibilities for the error : You have a corrupted cfw, Create another cfw and restore to it

OR, Blackra1nRC3 jailbreak is causing the restore not to accept cfw.
    Restore to stock 3.1.2 again , now use Redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak. Once jailbroken, restore to cfw of iOS 4.0.

Won't restore to 3.1.2 stock, I get the "device is not eligible for the requested build" error... It isn't the cfw, I have created several different ones in Snowbreeze.

EDIT: Restore worked after editing hosts file and putting the phone in DFU mode. Looks like redsn0w is the way to go. However, Ultrasn0w unlock isn't working for me... T-Mobile SIM, disabled 3G but the phone still says No SIM. Currently on 3.1.2. Should I try upgrading cfw to 4.0 and using Ultrasn0w unlock then?

EDIT 2: Unlock works now, turns out you have to run Ultrasn0w without the SIM card in the phone...

However restoring a 4.0 cfw still gives me Unknown Error (1) in Recovery/Normal mode and Error 1600 in DFU mode... What to do?

Ok updating to 4.0 goes through on iTunes 9.2.1 but I get Error 29 near the end of the restore...

Never mind, fixed it with iRecovery, now on iOS 4, just have to unlock w/ ultrasn0w!

I'm now getting random reboots every 3-4 minutes, restoring again doesn't do anything. Is there a reason for the reboots and a fix? This is seriously annoying
    Last edited by bob78h; 2010-07-25 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Can you use a Mac to create a cfw from pwnage tools . Put ur iPhone into recovery and restore to cfw iOS 4.0

I'm using a pwnage tools 4.01 created 4.0 cfw... The only problem I have is the stupid random reboots, everything else is going great...

You are going to have to do another restore with your cfw. Something got screwed up.

I've done 4 restores with 2 different cfws... Still not fixed. Also tried hard reboot and that doesn't work either. I googled and it looks like lots of unjailbroken 3GS owners have this problem when they upgrade to iOS 4. There is a 52 page thread on the Apple forums... I think I might just go back to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, unless there is a known fix for the random reboots.

Thanks

I used snowbreeze version 1.6.2 to create it seems quite stable, I think it reboots itself twice so far in a month.
    So give it a last shot using cfw from snowbreeze 1.6.2 of ios 4.0 before reverting back to 3.1.2
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-07-25 at 07:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast