Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help me unbrick my 3GS

Default Help me unbrick my 3GS
    Currently, I can not get my Iphone 3gs to do anything but boot to the Apple logo, it just stays there. I have occasionally, but not sure how, gotten it to the screen with the usb cord and Itunes logo.

Here's how I got to this sorry state. I bought the 3GS from a friend and proceeded to attempt to jailbreak it. I wasn't sure if it had the new bootloader or not, but it was on 3.13. (BTW, I know now I should have been more careful and paid more attention to several things.) I figured I would just try and see if it worked. It was a late night and I tried several things. I used Spirit and the phone booted back up with Cydia on the screen. I believe I then installed Blackra1n and it hasn't booted up since.

When I plug it in to my computer, Itunes recognizes it as being in recovery mode and when I try to restore the .ipsw, no matter which one I try, it always ends up as an error. In the past, I couldn't get past the authentication screen and would get a "Your iphone is not elgible..." screen. But lately it goes past the activation check and I just end up with "Your iphone cannot be restored due to an unknown error." With various error codes coming up.

So, how do I at least get this back to the original firmware? I can usually figure things out, but am not at a real elevated iphone hacking level. For instance, if you tell me to ssh my way in, I could use a little guidance on how to do that.

I would appreciate any help and let me know if I need to provide more information.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When you first jailbroke on 3.1.3 and you opened cydia did you select "make my life easier" so that your shsh blobs were saved? If your blobs were saved then you are in luck. You can also try using a program called tinyumbrella to see if they were saved. If you do a dfu restore you will probably be able to restore your phone but it will go to 4.0.1 firmware. From there you will have to downgrade back to 3.1.3 and use Spirit to jailbreak then use ultrasn0w to unlock. There are guides for all of these things on this site. Good luck.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

shacky (2010-07-22)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Ian basically summed it up. To be more specific, SSHing in wont do much for you in this regard. Also, you will definitely need to do a restore and if you dont have those SHSH blobs saved, you will be forced up to 4.0.1 and if the phone has never been jailbroken before or has the new boot, you cant jailbreak it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

shacky (2010-07-22)

Thank you for the replies.

At the time, I didn't know anything about saving blobs (and I don't really understand it yet) plus, I was just doing what I thought was a two step process. Jailbreak and then Blackra1n. So, no, I didn't save the blobs through Cydia.

The problem is that when I try to restore through Itunes, I keep getting an error. Either I get an authentication message saying my phone is not eligible or I get past the authentication process and it just ends up with an "unknown error." This happens regardless of if I am using an .ipsw on my desktop or if I let Itunes restore the phone with their software.

Itunes does recognize the phone is there and always offers to restore, but never finishes. I did use umbrella and it recognized the phone, I used the kick it out of restore mode and it just went to the Apple screen and stays there. That's what I get, either the constant white Apple or the black screen restore mode.

Any other ideas, please?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Are you putting the phone in DFU?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

shacky (2010-07-22)

Quote Originally Posted by shacky View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

At the time, I didn't know anything about saving blobs (and I don't really understand it yet) plus, I was just doing what I thought was a two step process. Jailbreak and then Blackra1n. So, no, I didn't save the blobs through Cydia.

The problem is that when I try to restore through Itunes, I keep getting an error. Either I get an authentication message saying my phone is not eligible or I get past the authentication process and it just ends up with an "unknown error." This happens regardless of if I am using an .ipsw on my desktop or if I let Itunes restore the phone with their software.

Itunes does recognize the phone is there and always offers to restore, but never finishes. I did use umbrella and it recognized the phone, I used the kick it out of restore mode and it just went to the Apple screen and stays there. That's what I get, either the constant white Apple or the black screen restore mode.

Any other ideas, please?
    You need to put the phone in DFU mode. once that is done then click restore on Itunes. Now if you didn't save your shsh files, you will automatically updated with the 4.0.1 firmware which is not jailbroken. if you do this, you will at least get the phone operational, but you won't be able to unlock it until the jailbreak is released.

(Hit the thanks button if this helps)
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to elcaptain0069 For This Useful Post:

shacky (2010-07-22)

For some unknown reason, I was able to upgrade to 4.01. The good news is; at least the phone is usable. The bad news is; not by me until I can get it unlocked. Anybody have the inside track on that?

Anyway, I had tried several times to restore using custom .ipsw's, original 3.13, and even let itunes upgrade to 4.0. Why it worked this time, I don't know. But thanks for the replies.