Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone newbie needs help: "No Service"...

Exclamation iPhone newbie needs help: "No Service"...
    I'm sure it's been posted a million times,but after extensive googling, I've come up with a million different solutions, none of which work, so I'm posting here.

I have an iPhone 3g, on 4.0.1 firmware, 05.13.04 baseband, I've used redsn0w 0.9.5 beta to jailbreak which went without a hitch, and used ultrasn0w to unlock it. I can put pretty much any sim card in it and it'll work for a while, (I can make/recieve calls) but eventually I'll get the dreaded 'No Service' message.

When this happens, I've tried Airplane mode, reinstalling Ultrasn0w, resetting network/all settings, etc... but to no avail.

So anyway, my question is this: What do I do next?

Should I uninstall ultrasn0w completely and use the stock O2 sim? (I'm kinda hoping to unlock it for my Vodafone one)

Should I downgrade to a lesser firmware or baseband? If so, how would I go about doing this?

I've only had the phone a few days, and to be honest I'm completely flummoxed.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TrilbyMonkey; 2010-07-20 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks

well firstly you need to know what bootloader you've got as i've has similar issues ... if you've got the same bootloader as me you can't downgrade the baseband and your stuck with a locked iphone for now .

ide reccomend a good search of the forum

press thanks if i helped you
    I don't suffer from insanity ..... i enjoy every single day of it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapala167 For This Useful Post:

TrilbyMonkey (2010-07-20)

Thanks for the quick reply.
    How would I find out which bootloader I have? Also, I've heard of an app called fuzzyband, would that help me out at all?

Or, if not, is there any method to unlocking the phone so I don't get the 'No Service' message? As I said, after unlocking I get a signal and can make recieve calls for a few hours, but then I lose service, which is a bit odd...
    Last edited by TrilbyMonkey; 2010-07-20 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

hummmm i've heard of this happening but never seen a soloution , but to find out your bootloader my friend go into cydia ... wait untill its loaded then go to the search option and search "fuzzyband" download it and after its installed close cydia and open fuzzyband if you are among the luckyones you'll have baseband 5.8 and it will downgrade you and you'll have to reinstall ultrasn0w but once thats done you'll have a 100% unlocked iphone . but in the event your like me with the 6.04 bootloader your pretty much screwed at this point it time lol lame i know

sorry not baseband 5.8 bootloader .... long day
    Last edited by Rapala167; 2010-07-20 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks again, I'll give fuzzyband a go once I get a chance, somehow (while trying to restore the firmware, damn my fiddling...) I managed to brick the phone and keep getting the '1604' error, so I'm combatting that at the moment.

I'm guessing/hoping/praying a fix may be in the works for the 6.04 bootloader unlocking problem?

Small update: Got the phone unbricked, had to uninstall Windows 7 and install XP instead.
    (It was causing me problems anyway)
    Last edited by TrilbyMonkey; 2010-07-20 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks

ah that might be that you need to use rec boot google it and it will pop your phone out of recovery mode...

as for an unlock i'm sure i saw something yesterday saying its on its way very soon !! so keep in there lol i've got to replace something on the logic board on my iphone :/ scared but meh , ah ok well theres one problem solved then lol ....

oh and btw windows xp is so much better then vista :P ****** bloody vista
    Last edited by Rapala167; 2010-07-21 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well, I ran fuzzyband, turns out I have 6.2 Bootloader so guess I'll be waiting for that unlock with baited breath...

Thanks for the help dude

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Put phone in DFU. Restore. Jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5. Open Cydia and install ultrasn0w 0.93 (from the already available repo666.ultrasn0w.com).

I have a 3G on the same baseband (modem firmware) as you and i am unlocked. Your baseband shouldnt be the problem and bootloader is irrelevant here as the newest baseband is unlockable.

Be sure to set your phone up as new and not restore from back up. Try rebooting your phone at least twice and see if the unlock sticks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

TrilbyMonkey (2010-07-23)

I'll give this a go, but when jailbreaking should i point Redsn0w at 4.0 or 4.01 firmware file? I've been selecting 4.0, which I assume (from the tutorial I followed) is right, just wanna double check I'm doing it right.
    Last edited by TrilbyMonkey; 2010-07-22 at 07:27 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes you use the 4.0 regardless of being on 4.0 or 4.0.1

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

TrilbyMonkey (2010-07-23)

Ok, i am with you guys on this issue, but i dont see a fix.
    I was in the same exact setup before i was stupid enough to downgrade to 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 "Which work". I am still on 3.1.2, but i wont 4.0- I cant figure out why i cant receive service. I ahve read through a couple "How To"s and they come close, but dont work. 4.0 should be able to be unlocked, but i am unsure about ur base band. Everyone mentions on how if u upgrade and downgrade ur base band may change. my hasn't EVER. STill have 5.13.04. Now- i have an ATT Prepaid Sim, not an O2- which i almost got, and apparently shoulda?
    heck, everyone as of 3 months ago says goto SPirit, and as of last month say dont- it doesnt work.

Is there any sure guide here? ANywhere? Im working on 3.1.2, and 3.1.3- Neither are 1,2 working. I expect 4.0 to not have answers- but this is really getting annoying.

Thanks for the help, I've followed your instructions to the letter, and so far all seems good. I have a signal using my Vodafone sim, but I can't shake the feeling that it's gonna disappear.. Either way, I'll keep you guys posted!

Edit: Yup, 'No Service', yet again...
    Any chance you could post a step-by-step guide to how you managed to unlock yours? The more detail, the better, as I'm guessing there's something you're doing that I'm not...

(Sorry I'm such a pain)
    Last edited by TrilbyMonkey; 2010-07-23 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrilbyMonkey View Post
    Thanks for the help, I've followed your instructions to the letter, and so far all seems good. I have a signal using my Vodafone sim, but I can't shake the feeling that it's gonna disappear.. Either way, I'll keep you guys posted!

Edit: Yup, 'No Service', yet again...
    Any chance you could post a step-by-step guide to how you managed to unlock yours? The more detail, the better, as I'm guessing there's something you're doing that I'm not...

(Sorry I'm such a pain)
    You know it sounds a lot like you have a hardware problem with your phone. Have you tried running it without JB and UL on the official carrier and see if you lose service after a while.

I dont wanna stomp on ur already tried efforts- but ur having a carrier issue. Your issue is VERY similar to anyone else that is unlocked, u can use it for a while- then it just kinda kicks u off.
    Usually the best way to get it back into play is to airplane mode it- which is simpler.
    Or, you have to take the sim out- and put it into a phone that work, and then return it.
    Now- my guess is that you have swapped out ur phone too many times, and ur carrier blocked you.

First find out their rules with iphones- If they are ok with them. Just call tech support. If they are not ok with iphones- your going to have to begin the journey into IMEI #'s. basically- nothing we can talk about on this forum. i think?

Im going to stick with that for now- only out of experience with tmobile, at&t and at&t prepaid. All of which were hell.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SubCool For This Useful Post:

TrilbyMonkey (2010-07-24)

Thanks Subcool, I belive the iphone is available with the carrier I want to use, so should I phone customer service and let them know that I can't use their service?
    The thing is, I've tried it with a few different networks, all of which do the same, giving me a signal for a while and then snatching it away...
    Regarding IMEI#'s - I've already considered it and from what I understand it's not possible on a 3g.