Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 05.11.07 - ok to update to iOS4?

  1. #1
    Default 05.11.07 - ok to update to iOS4?
    Hi guys, my dad has a 3GS currently on 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07. He relies on his jailbreak and unlock so wanted to check possible problems before updating to 4.0.

    Could anyone advise on whether this would be ok and what I'd need to use to re-jailbreak and unlock?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    First, what method did you use to jailbreak/unlock?
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...

  3. #3
    He can't update to 4.0, the latest firmware is 4.0.1 and there are no tools to jailbreak the 3GS on that.

    Wait for an updated version of pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze and it should be no problem so long as he has the old bootrom.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    He can't update to 4.0, the latest firmware is 4.0.1 and there are no tools to jailbreak the 3GS on that.

    Wait for an updated version of pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze and it should be no problem so long as he has the old bootrom.
    Actually he can. If he saved old firmware with shsh, he could downgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak. he could also jailbreak using snowbreeze with new boot. But if the jailbreak was done with Spirit, he may not be able to unlock on 4.0 or 4.0.1.

    Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    Hi guys, my dad has a 3GS currently on 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07. He relies on his jailbreak and unlock so wanted to check possible problems before updating to 4.0.




    (Hit the thanks button if this helps)

    Could anyone advise on whether this would be ok and what I'd need to use to re-jailbreak and unlock?

    Thanks
    There are no problems with 4.0 jailbreak/unlock. But if you didn't save the 4.0 firmware... you can't jailbreak because the new update is 4.0.1. There is no way to drop it back to 4.0 unless you used the umbrela to shsh your old firmware.
    Last edited by elcaptain0069; 2010-07-19 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to elcaptain0069 For This Useful Post:

    tikigod19 (2010-07-22)

  6. #5
    Also, it's key to check whether he has old or new bootrom. Stay on 3.1.2 if you have the new one.

  7. #6
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    Hi guys, my dad has a 3GS currently on 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07. He relies on his jailbreak and unlock so wanted to check possible problems before updating to 4.0.

    Could anyone advise on whether this would be ok and what I'd need to use to re-jailbreak and unlock?

    Thanks
    You can use Snowbreeze 1.7 to create a custom firmware of iOS 4.0 if you have these conditions :
    Your jailbroken at 3.1.2 is either jailbroken by Blackra1n or Redsn0w AND
    If your 3rd serial number from the left is 9 and the 4th & 5th serial number is <= 40, then you have the oldbootrom.

    If you have the new bootrom, I think you can also restore to snowbreeze..ipsw_4.0 but you will have a tethered jailbreak which you don't want.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    eichmr (2010-07-22), tikigod19 (2010-07-22)

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You can use Snowbreeze 1.7 to create a custom firmware of iOS 4.0 if you have these conditions :
    Your jailbroken at 3.1.2 is either jailbroken by Blackra1n or Redsn0w AND
    If your 3rd serial number from the left is 9 and the 4th & 5th serial number is <= 40, then you have the oldbootrom.

    If you have the new bootrom, I think you can also restore to snowbreeze..ipsw_4.0 but you will have a tethered jailbreak which you don't want.
    Think he also will need SHSH on file or he's going to have to wait for sn0wbreeze to be updated to incorporate 4.0.1.

  10. #8
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Using custom firmware Does not need shsh blogs and you do not need to edit your host file.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    eyeRobot (2010-07-20)

  12. #9
    Ok that's interesting

  13. #10
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Ok that's interesting
    Yup, that is the idea. Eversince I got my 3GS at version 3.0, I jailbreak with Redsn0w, i have not used any stock fw, I only restore to cfw if I messed it up. If there is a tool to build a custom fw of any version, I can just restore to it, it acts like a 3G ( NO shsh needed ) but remember it is only for (3GS old bootrom only ).

  14. #11
    Thanks for all of the replies.

    I take it 4.0.1 isnt an issue as he hasn't updated to that. He's still on 3.1.2. I'd imagine its still possible to download 4.0 firmware?

    I'm sure he hasn't got the new bootrom as he is currently jailbroken on 3.1.2 and he does not have to re-jailbreak on restart (like I do on my own phone and did when I was on 3.1.2)

    I originally jailbroke him using Blackra1n and Redsn0w or Blacksn0w or whatever was around at the time to unlock...

    With that in mind can I update to 4.0 (not 4.0.1) if I can download the firmware and then what would I use to jailbreak/unlock?

    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Also, it's key to check whether he has old or new bootrom. Stay on 3.1.2 if you have the new one.
    oh so it appears that the fact that he currently doesnt need to re-jailbreak on a restart doesnt necessarily mean he is on the old boot rom. I'll check his serial no

    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You can use Snowbreeze 1.7 to create a custom firmware of iOS 4.0 if you have these conditions :
    Your jailbroken at 3.1.2 is either jailbroken by Blackra1n or Redsn0w AND
    If your 3rd serial number from the left is 9 and the 4th & 5th serial number is <= 40, then you have the oldbootrom.

    If you have the new bootrom, I think you can also restore to snowbreeze..ipsw_4.0 but you will have a tethered jailbreak which you don't want.
    Thanks for this. Although I did use Blackra1n to jailbreak his serial number dictates week 36 so hopefully not an issue with bootrom? In that case what program should I use and should I use stock 4.0 firmware or a custom one?
    Last edited by tikigod19; 2010-07-22 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #12
    Simple, custom firmware pwnagetool/snowbreeze to 4.0 (this results with already jailbroken iPhone) then simply install ultrasnow and your done!

  16. #13
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I was under the impression that custom fw cant be utilized by new boot 3GS phones (meaning only old boot phones can do so). Did something change in regards to Sn0wbreeze and PwnageTool?

  17. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    Hi guys, my dad has a 3GS currently on 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07. He relies on his jailbreak and unlock so wanted to check possible problems before updating to 4.0.

    Could anyone advise on whether this would be ok and what I'd need to use to re-jailbreak and unlock?

    Thanks
    You are getting a lot of bad advice here. You said you rely on the JB and UL. Then stay right where you are and do not upgrade until the DEV TEAM release new tools to JB version 4 of the software. There is already a tool that can unlock any baseband for the 3GS but you cannot use it unless you can JB. There are no released tools for Standard IOS4 and IOS4.01 and therefore you cannot JB them. There are work arounds for early version of the 3GS provided certain criteria are met but one mistake and you end up having to restore to stock 4.0.1 and lose both your JB and UL.

    Again stay where you are, ignore the bad advise and hopefully within the next couple of weeks we will see a new version of Spirit.

  18. #15
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    You are getting a lot of bad advice here. You said you rely on the JB and UL. Then stay right where you are and do not upgrade until the DEV TEAM release new tools to JB version 4 of the software. There is already a tool that can unlock any baseband for the 3GS but you cannot use it unless you can JB. There are no released tools for Standard IOS4 and IOS4.01 and therefore you cannot JB them. There are work arounds for early version of the 3GS provided certain criteria are met but one mistake and you end up having to restore to stock 4.0.1 and lose both your JB and UL.

    Again stay where you are, ignore the bad advise and hopefully within the next couple of weeks we will see a new version of Spirit.
    Actually, its not bad advice just because it didnt come from you. 3GS phones with the old bootrom and has been jailbroken before can be upgraded to 4.0 and jailbroken with PwnageTool and Spirit. I find it funny that you have responded to every post I have responded to and essentially repeated everything that I already said. So I dont really take your advice too seriously.

    As for the OP, staying on 3.1.2 is easier but if your dad has the old boot on his phone, it is safe to upgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak with Spirit or Pwnage. Spirit does require either a phonebook SIM or the phone's official carrier's SIM to activate first. If he has the new bootrom, it is recommended to just stay where he is now.

  19. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Actually, its not bad advice just because it didnt come from you. 3GS phones with the old bootrom and has been jailbroken before can be upgraded to 4.0 and jailbroken with PwnageTool and Spirit. I find it funny that you have responded to every post I have responded to and essentially repeated everything that I already said. So I dont really take your advice too seriously.

    As for the OP, staying on 3.1.2 is easier but if your dad has the old boot on his phone, it is safe to upgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak with Spirit or Pwnage. Spirit does require either a phonebook SIM or the phone's official carrier's SIM to activate first. If he has the new bootrom, it is recommended to just stay where he is now.
    Its bad advice because the first thing he said is that he needs his JB and UL. While I am fully aware of the process to JB a 3gs with Old bootrom there is always a potential problem to screw it up and without SHSH saved to be able to restore it is better to wait for the 4 jailbreak tool.
    Furthermore i was not referring to you and in fact one of the only correct responses I saw in this whole saga came from you.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-07-23 at 08:49 PM.

  20. #17
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Nobody said to do it without SHSH files backed up. Who in the right mind would move forward without having a back up plan? Common sense.

    Im sorry but I disagree that you go around saying things are "bad advice" when theyre not cuz they are fact. The OP asked if it was ok to go up to iOS 4 and maintain a jailbreak and unlock which is possible under certain circumstances. He didnt ask "which is better? 3.1.2 or 4.0?" in which case then we would answer "stay on 3.1.2 if you dont have SHSH files backed up".

    Its just plain rude to label everybody else's help as "bad advice" and crown yourself as the great advice king. Not to point fingers, but Yeow usually always gives great advice and I would take his 1200+ posted advice over a 50 post advisor any day.

  21. #18
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies.

    I take it 4.0.1 isnt an issue as he hasn't updated to that. He's still on 3.1.2. I'd imagine its still possible to download 4.0 firmware?

    I'm sure he hasn't got the new bootrom as he is currently jailbroken on 3.1.2 and he does not have to re-jailbreak on restart (like I do on my own phone and did when I was on 3.1.2)

    I originally jailbroke him using Blackra1n and Redsn0w or Blacksn0w or whatever was around at the time to unlock...

    With that in mind can I update to 4.0 (not 4.0.1) if I can download the firmware and then what would I use to jailbreak/unlock?



    oh so it appears that the fact that he currently doesnt need to re-jailbreak on a restart doesnt necessarily mean he is on the old boot rom. I'll check his serial no



    Thanks for this. Although I did use Blackra1n to jailbreak his serial number dictates week 36 so hopefully not an issue with bootrom? In that case what program should I use and should I use stock 4.0 firmware or a custom one?
    Take it to iOS 4.0 jailbreak, put your Iphone into recovery mode & restore to custom firmware iOS 4.0 (cfw) only but you need the stock fw iOS 4.0 to build it.

  22. #19
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I dont want to come out rude and aggressive but seriously, its flat out rude to say hey disregard everyone in here and listen to me cuz their advice sucks.

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Actually, its not bad advice just because it didnt come from you. 3GS phones with the old bootrom and has been jailbroken before can be upgraded to 4.0 and jailbroken with PwnageTool and Spirit. I find it funny that you have responded to every post I have responded to and essentially repeated everything that I already said. So I dont really take your advice too seriously.

    As for the OP, staying on 3.1.2 is easier but if your dad has the old boot on his phone, it is safe to upgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak with Spirit or Pwnage. Spirit does require either a phonebook SIM or the phone's official carrier's SIM to activate first. If he has the new bootrom, it is recommended to just stay where he is now.
    If you think that checking the third and four digits are less than 40 tells you it is the old bootrom you are dreaming. There are simple checks you can make to confirm the old bootrom. I saw no one tell the Op to avoid moving forward if he did not have his SHSH files saved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •