Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G 3.1.3 Unlock issue...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 2G 3.1.3 Unlock issue...
    Hi All,

Still using my 2G iPhone after 2 years and just waiting to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 as soon as we get it in Portugal! I envy all you guys who get it a lot sooner! :-P

Anyway I've been Jailbreaking and/or unlocking my iPhone for years and some friend's iPhones also (both 2G &3G), no big issues so far... and all worked well thanks to your precious tutorials and advice! The issue now is that once again I updated my friend's 2G iPhone from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 using Pwnage Tool for Mac. I used her SIM card for a Portuguese network (TMN) in the process and it worked fine. No problems detected. However she lives in Ireland and when she got there changed the SIM card to her Irish network (METEOR) on the iPhone. The message is: Invalid SIM card detected, therefore no service applies here...

My question is: Isn't it supposed to have the unlock for any carrier? Or it works only for the carrier belonging to the SIM card inserted in the JB/Unlock process? This phone was Pwned before by me (several times) and this wasn't a problem earlier.

Should she try Redsnow instead? At the moment the iPhone is running 3.1.3 JB/Unlocked and works with the SIM card I mentioned (Portuguese carrier TMN). Is a fresh complete JB/Unlock process needed again to unlock for the Irish network METEOR?

Sorry if I'm re-posting but I've been looking in the forums and nothing specific to this appears when I search...

Thanks,
    N

You could try a fresh restore of 3.1.2 and then jailbreak with blackra1n and unlock with ultrsn0w. You've got lots of options, but your method above should have worked.

Or on 3.1.3 spir1t and ultrasnow will also work with the 2G
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-19 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

LOPEZNUNO (2010-07-19)

Quote Originally Posted by LOPEZNUNO View Post
    Hi All,

Still using my 2G iPhone after 2 years and just waiting to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 as soon as we get it in Portugal! I envy all you guys who get it a lot sooner! :-P

Anyway I've been Jailbreaking and/or unlocking my iPhone for years and some friend's iPhones also (both 2G &3G), no big issues so far... and all worked well thanks to your precious tutorials and advice! The issue now is that once again I updated my friend's 2G iPhone from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 using Pwnage Tool for Mac. I used her SIM card for a Portuguese network (TMN) in the process and it worked fine. No problems detected. However she lives in Ireland and when she got there changed the SIM card to her Irish network (METEOR) on the iPhone. The message is: Invalid SIM card detected, therefore no service applies here...

My question is: Isn't it supposed to have the unlock for any carrier? Or it works only for the carrier belonging to the SIM card inserted in the JB/Unlock process? This phone was Pwned before by me (several times) and this wasn't a problem earlier.

Should she try Redsnow instead? At the moment the iPhone is running 3.1.3 JB/Unlocked and works with the SIM card I mentioned (Portuguese carrier TMN). Is a fresh complete JB/Unlock process needed again to unlock for the Irish network METEOR?

Sorry if I'm re-posting but I've been looking in the forums and nothing specific to this appears when I search...

Thanks,
    N
    Restore the phone to 3.1.2 firmware... then at this point you have a number of different options for jailbreak... I had a 2G I used redsnow. I agree with westonben, it should work as is, unless your friend did something when the phone was activated with the Irish carrier. I guess your friend didn't have the luck of the irish in this case...lol... j/k. Good luck hope this helps...

(hit the thanks button if this helped)
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to elcaptain0069 For This Useful Post:

LOPEZNUNO (2010-07-19)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys,

Thank you both for your comments... The main issue is that I'm not completely crazy (just a bit!) when I thought that the process I followed should unlock for all carriers! Maybe it's a Pwnage Tool glitch/bug...

Anyway, I'll first try UltraSn0w with 3.1.3 as It saves some time. If not then try the 3.1.2 RedSn0w option! As last option I'll follow the 3.1.2 BlackRa1n / UltraSn0w...

Again, I thank you for your precious help, and let's hope this time she gets some Irish luck! LOL
    Cheers!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LOPEZNUNO View Post
    Hi guys,

Thank you both for your comments... The main issue is that I'm not completely crazy (just a bit!) when I thought that the process I followed should unlock for all carriers! Maybe it's a Pwnage Tool glitch/bug...

Anyway, I'll first try UltraSn0w with 3.1.3 as It saves some time. If not then try the 3.1.2 RedSn0w option! As last option I'll follow the 3.1.2 BlackRa1n / UltraSn0w...

Again, I thank you for your precious help, and let's hope this time she gets some Irish luck! LOL
    Cheers!
    2G phones dont use Ultrasn0w. Use bootneuter. If the phone is already jailbroken, simply go to Cydia and install Bootneuter and run it.

You could restore to either 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 (doesnt matter your choice, as long as you have the 3.1.2 ipsw for redsn0w). Use redsn0w to jailbreak (version 0.9.4 is good) and select "cydia" and "unlock" when prompted and redsn0w will automatically run bootneuter to unlock the phone for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LOPEZNUNO (2010-07-20)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Anniex423!
    I had the impression that UltraSn0w wouldn't work for 2G but I wasn't sure... However good to know that apparently it does no harm to run it in a 2G as I tried it in mine and nothing happened ate least visible...

I'll advise her to try the Bootneuter, even though it mentions in Cydia being created for 2.x firmware. I guess no updates were needed as the baseband wasn't updated in the 2G for a long time!

If this doesn't work, better to try a fresh new restore and use RedSn0w. Even though the phone was JB/Unlocked several times, I'll just use the option as if it was never JB before so it may run bootneuter and flash for unlocking again.

Again, I thank you all for your help!
    Cheers!