Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3GS upgrade Query

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone 3GS upgrade Query
    Hi everyone,

Firstly this my first time with iPhone. I bought a second hand 3GS. So i am not sure how it was JB and unlocked. My investigation tell me the following.
    It was already Carrier Unlocked. I want to upgrade to 4.0 and be able to have a carrier unlock as well.

Details of my iPhone are

iPhone Boot loader 359.3
    Modem Firmware 04.26.08
    iOS 3.1.2 (7D11)

When i open Cydia it says

This Device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS 3.1.3

Also in the packages i can find ultasn0w installed as well as Dev-Team (yellowsn0w and other team tools) amongst the list of packages.

I have been doing a lot of reading . Since being new to this scenario it will take its times before i begin to install how all this stuff should work.

I will be very thankful if u guys could guide me on how to upgrade to 4.0 with Carrier unlock.

There are currently no tools to upgrade to 4.0.1 at the moment so wait until a new version of pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze is available and double check whether you have old or new bootrom as you may be best sticking with 3.1.2 if you have the new bootrom.

Once the new tool is out, I'm sure we're talking a day or so, do these 3 steps, for which you can find instructions in the guides above:

1. JB with blackra1n
    2. Snowbreeze/pwnagetool to 4.0.1 (when tool is upgraded)
    3. Unlock with ultrasn0w

Enjoy!

Just noticed you are already JB. Do you have a blackra1n icon already?
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-18 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nopes i cant seem to find a Blackra1n icon. I bought it second hand as mentioned. is there a way to find out abot how my fone was JBroken??

i secondly anotehr question. I have read about SHSH blobs. couldnt make much. But why does cydia show SHSH blobs for 3.1.3 wheras im on 3.1.2

Also u said no tools for 4.0.1.. im ok if u can point me on upgrading to 4.0. I have heard it can be done if ur already on a JB version of 3.1.2
    Last edited by sufihani; 2010-07-18 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm not 100% on your first question, but if there is nothing in cydia installed packages blackra1n/spirit then I think you've been upgraded with custom firmware, but since all you need to check is that it's not spirit just make sure that's not on there! Try f0recast too.

I have the exact same query about SHSH blobs. I got my phone on 3.1.2 and it already had a blob for 3.1.3 on it, but if I was on 3.1.2 how did the previous owner get it back to the older firmware if that SHSH wasn't on file??? Unfortunately I think this mystery will never be solved.

Finally, apple only signs 4.0.1 now and you don't have SHSH for 4.0 so you are going to have to wait for new tools.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-18 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well mine isnt Spirit thats one thing im sure. I can only find yellowsn0w's repo and ultrasn0w. as far as i know ultrasn0w is for the carrier unlock. my googling tells that yellowsn0w is also a carrier unlock ? is that true.

Secondly

I read this on iphone-dev teams blog

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
    If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01
    I have the old JB 3gs + Old BOOT ROM + no Spirit

Can it be done this way. I want to experiment but i had bricked my G1 once .so just aksing u guys if thats true or not.

There's an unofficial release of pwnagetool which could get you to 4.0.1 but I strongly suggest you wait for an official dev team release.

Not sure what you are getting at in the quote above. You can't go to 4.0 now, no way, no how.

I am really confused...maybe I am piecing different things together. First finding the iBootrom. I tried at least 5 times to find this with no luck. Does that mean I do not have one with my iPhone? Am I looking for bootrom 359.3.2 vs. "nothing" or would it be bootrom ###.#.#?

My iPhone was Jailbroken under 3.1.3 using Spirit.exe does that automatically mean that it can be jailbroken under 4.0 and I do not have to worry about the ibootrom?

Maybe I'm not being clear, no one with a 3GS can upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1 with the current tools. You need to wait it out, I can't see it being long.

To check new/old bootrom an easy way is to check your serial number in settings. 3rd number is either 9 or 0, you need a 9 and the 4th 5th numbers are the week. You need less than 40.

Spirit jb'ers can't go to 4.0 or 4.0.1 and are probably going to be left waiting longer.

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    To check new/old bootrom an easy way is to check your serial number in settings. 3rd number is either 9 or 0, you need a 9 and the 4th 5th numbers are the week. You need less than 40.
    THANKS!!!

Now that is so much easier the going to Device Manager and download other tools... and all those other steps that made me loose all my information. I am a 9 but a 48 so I guess I am stuck for awhile anyway. I tried to go back to 3.1.3 but can't do that either.

If you've gone to a stock 4.0/4.0.1 then you are pretty much screwed, get it on ebay and buy another.

If you are still on 3.1.3/3.1.2 and jailbroken with something other than spir1t then you will soon be able to upgrade to 4.0.1 with sn0wbreeze. Here's what ih8sn0w said on a recent tweet:

"4.0.1 support is meant to come in a few days. doesn’t apply much. so it’ll be easy"

Nothing new for new bootrom though - you're still out of luck.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-19 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

sufihani (2010-07-19)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@westonben Thanks for the help/guideance

Anyways is there any particular Blog/Tweets etc i should follow to monitor the progress do let me know.

Just heard on another thread that custom firmware doesn't need shsh on file so you should be good to go to 4.0 now. Use snowbreeze 1.7 to create custom ipsw file and let us know how you get on!
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-20 at 08:24 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okie..

so this is how i do it.

1. I download snowbreeze 1.7
    2. I download latest Itunes Version
    3. I download a Custom Firmware of IoS 4.0 (ModMyi Forums - Downloads - iPhone 3GS 4.0)

4. I run SnowBreeze select this IoS 4.0
    5. Once SnowBreeze finishes i open Itunes. Shift + click on restore select this IOS 4.0 and let it install

6. After it is installed i should have Cydia by default ?
    7. I open cydia . add the utlrasn0w repo and install ultaSnow for baseband unlock ????

Guys kindly vet the above. As i am confused.. there i feel too many tools and too many methods

Perfect. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Maybe I'm not being clear, no one with a 3GS can upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1 with the current tools. You need to wait it out, I can't see it being long.

Spirit jb'ers can't go to 4.0 or 4.0.1 and are probably going to be left waiting longer.
    This is the second time in two days I have seen this information about a week of manufacture of less than 40 identifying old bootrom. The correct information is rather more complex. Week 36 or less almost certainly old bootrom, week 37 to 40 its a crap shoot either way, week 41 and above probably new bootrom. However, Apple re-manufacture returned phones and give them new serial numbers you can find phones in the 40 and above that are old boot rom. My phone is week 37 and it is new bootrom. There is only one way to check and it is not the week of manufacture.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Worked like CHARM.. Cool... Is it really snappier then 3.1.2 or is the fact that i dont have anything on my phone yet... Anyways Thanks for the help @westonben

ok apparently i am running into an issue. i was adding a repo in Cydia. it was taking way too long in updating sources. i thought that the Cydia was stuck. I killed using ios 4 native app switcher. now every time i run cydia it gives me an error

Error: Database

Malformed line 2 in sources.list.d/cydia.list(URI PARSE)

and doesn't show anything in Sources packages etc.

This is easy to get around by editing the sources.list. but for that i need ssh . And i didnt install it yet...

am i safe to do a restore as i have synced with itunes and it has a backup . also cydia now says i have SHSH on file for 3.1.3 , 4.0.

Am i safe to restore from my backup ?
    Will it bring back cydia ?
    Last edited by sufihani; 2010-07-24 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yea you can restore again. Just use the same custom firmware.