Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I unlock a 3g at 4.0 with broken power button

Default How do I unlock a 3g at 4.0 with broken power button
    I have a 3G at 4.0 that I can't jailbreak or unlock, because the power button doesn't work. Does anyone know of any software to jailbreak/unlock that doesn't require DFU mode for 4.0? Or a software that will put your 3G into DFU mode. I haven't had any luck.

It's a 3G 8GB, so spending the time and money to replace the power switch and wiring (pretty sure it's the wiring) is not worth it...no on really needs to turn their phone off anyway.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Tim

you could use a custom firmware

You'd have to downgrade to 3.1.2, use blackra1n

then upgrade back up to 4.0 with a custom firmware...

(without being jailbroken, you'd need to put the device in DFU mode to get the custom firmware to work, but if your already jailbroken, you can restore with the custom firmware in regular mode)
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Hey I think I have seen you posting this problem every where here but if not sorry. I was starting to have a problem with my old iPhone 3G so I check craigslist and found someone to replace my power button for $15 not bad considering the button is around $5 by itself. It sounds like without being able to put it in dfu mode this may be the only way.

I didn't think I could downgrade to 3.1.2 without having the SHSHs on file with Cydia for 3.1.2, which I don't.

Surely, there's a way to get the device into DFU with a program, so the power button doesn't have to be used.

Not me, but thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by tvoruz; 2010-07-17 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have been told that you can downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.3 on a iPhone 3G (Old/New bootrom)but not on iPhone 3GS even without saving shsh files. I'm going to do it to my iPhone 3G this weekend cause 4.0 is just too slow on iPhone 3G. This info came from a good source so I'm sure it will work.
    Last edited by ronr179; 2010-07-17 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvoruz View Post
    I didn't think I could downgrade to 3.1.2 without having the SHSHs on file with Cydia for 3.1.2, which I don't.

Surely, there's a way to get the device into DFU with a program, so the power button doesn't have to be used.

Not me, but thanks for the reply.
    Shshs have NOTHING to do with this...

you have a 3g, you can downgrade to ANY version you desire, the only thing that will happen is it will give you a 1015 error, but once you run blackra1n, it will complete the downgrade, and you will be at 3.1.2 jailbroken..

from there you can upgrade to 4.0 using a custom ipsw...

No DFU mode needed, and if you get everything needed before hand (3.1.2 ipsw, blackra1n, and custom 4.0) it'll take you no more than 30 minutes...

or i guess you can just wait for someone to have some random tool that may or may not exist, and most likely isn't from a trusted developer.

Quote Originally Posted by ronr179 View Post
    I have been told that you can downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.3 on a iPhone 3G (Old bootrom)but not on iPhone 3GS even without saving shsh files. I'm going to do it to my iPhone 3G this weekend cause 4.0 is just too slow on iPhone 3G. This info came from a good source so I'm sure it will work.
    Where the heck are you guys getting your info from?

old bootrom 3g? how is this even relevant?

You don't want to downgrade to 3.1.3, because you'll need to run redsn0w (requires dfu) or spirit (but isn't compatible with custom ipsw's)

a 3g can be downgraded to any version apple doesn't check like they do for the 3gs, they don't care.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2010-07-17 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Wow babyblu
    2 words make you this upset (old bootrom) I can just imagine what else dosejust cause I put that in there it was wrong yes but so I'll edit it for you.

Wow babyblu
    2 words make you this upset (old bootrom) I can just imagine what else dosejust cause I put that in there it was wrong yes but so I'll edit it for you.
    lol Not mad about two words

People who attempt to correct me with very wrong and confusing information (new bootroom / old bootrom has NOTHING to do with anything in this thread, and in general has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 3g iPhone)

And people who don't speak proper english, kind of make me upset.

Hope you don't take offense though, not trying to be rude, just bothers me when you say "This info is coming from a valuable source" Yet you have no idea what your talking... (or at least I can't fully comprehend what your trying to say)

Your rt may not have put it in the right words. As far as the bootrom thing gose it was just something I threw out there just for some of the people,who will ask that as there next question. After all this person needs help getting his iPhone 3G jb hope he got his answers. Like I said, 4.0 is very slow with my 3G.
    Last edited by ronr179; 2010-07-17 at 08:40 AM.

Your rt may not have put it in the right words. As far as the bootrom thing gose it was just something I threw out there just for some of the people,who will ask that as there next question. After all this person needs help getting his iPhone 3G jb hope he got his answers. Like I said, 4.0 is very slow with my 3G.
    BOOTROM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 3G iPHONE.

eh forget it.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2010-07-17 at 09:29 AM.

LoL okay........
    You must have all the answers I know who I will ask next time ha ha ha