Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3g/3gs unlock

Default Iphone 3g/3gs unlock
    Ok so i lost my ipod touch and decided to buy a used iphone from my moms friend. I have a couple questions before i purchase it.

1. Up to what firmware can it be jailbroken/unlocked?

2. How can i check the bootrom?

3. If I can unlock can i plug my normal nodata at&t sim and use the iphone without being charged for data?

4. Can i use it without a sim?

Thanks for helping,
    Ryan
    Even if I didnt help you please click thanks :X

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If its a 3g you can jailbreak it up to iOS 4. If its a 3gs it would have needed to be jailbroken and saved shsh blobs on 3.1.2 or earlier to be able to be jailbroken on iOS 4. If you unlock you can use a regular AT&T sim but who knows for how long before AT&T catches it and charges you for an iPhone data plan. Without the sim if the phone is activated you can use it as an ipod touch basically.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

rhart96 (2010-07-17)

Bump

Can anyone else help me?
    Even if I didnt help you please click thanks :X

Thanks

okay so
    1. you want to find out your baseband and bootloader .... you need fuzzy band !! search that in cydia

2. a big if!! here if your iphone has an older baseband your in luck and you can unlock but if like me you've got 6.04 bootloader and 5.12.1 baseband unlocking doesn't seem to work no matter what people say it doesen't do sweet fa !

3. sure you can use it without as sim but its a bit pointless buying an iphone might as well have brought an ipod touch
    I don't suffer from insanity ..... i enjoy every single day of it

Without knowing if the OP is talking about the 3G or the 3GS it's very difficult to help.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.