Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate 3GS with ios4 without SIM

Default Activate 3GS with ios4 without SIM
    Hi,

Admittedly, I am an absolute newbie with respect to iphone modding.

I currently have a 3g iphone currently running Os version 3.1.2 and firmware 05.11.07. I have just recently purchased a 16MB 3gs at a very good price with the intentions of giving it to one of my kids to use as an iPod touch. (yes i got it much cheaper than the price of a touch). After doing a little reading I thought that perhaps I should use it and give her the 3g phone.

The 3gs phone currently has no sim, and is locked, I would presume to AT&T, whereas I am in Canada with a Rogers contract. In addition the phone is at the Emergency call screen so I assume this means that it is not activated. I have no idea then what the Os is nor what the firmware version would be.

Is it possible to activate this phone and unlock it so I can simply use my sim and then use the 3g phone without a sim for everything but cell services (ie wifi).

Thanks,

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It would be best to activate the iphone with an AT&T simcard. If you can borrow a friends for 5 minutes. After that depending on what firmware the 3gs is on you may be in luck on being able to jailbreak/unlock it.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Check which version of the bootrom you have. You can get an idea from the serial number of the phone. The third three numbers should be less than 940 (hopefully a lot less as you are then on the old bootrom) - if you are close to 940 (like 938 or 939)then search for how to check bootrom as it can be done more scientifically than the above!

If you have old bootrom, you can use blackra1n to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock. You could even go to the latest firmware 4.0 using Sn0wnbreeze (check the guides) on how to do this and unlock again with ultrasn0w.

If you have new bootrom you are best sticking on 3.1.2 and using spirit to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-15 at 06:14 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Check which version of the bootrom you have. You can get an idea from the serial number of the phone. The third three numbers should be less than 940 (hopefully a lot less as you are then on the old bootrom) - if you are close to 940 (like 938 or 939)then search for how to check bootrom as it can be done more scientifically than the above!

If you have old bootrom, you can use blackra1n to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock. You could even go to the latest firmware 4.0 using Sn0wnbreeze (check the guides) on how to do this and unlock again with ultrasn0w.

If you have new bootrom you are best sticking on 3.1.2 and using spirit to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock.
    The phone is not activated how to check what your asking? It's in emergency call

maybe your talking about his 3G iphone, he's talking about the new unactivated 3GS.

Hi sabrehack I have answered this question before kindly follow the link in order to find your original i phone model number and also the carrier it is lock to:

http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...ml#post5340047

since you know it's IOS 4.0 your right at least used it as an ipod, then maybe wait till dev team released the jailbreak/unlock for IOS4.

Hope this can help, CHEEERS!!

Yes, I misread the post!