Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Factory unlocked iPhone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Question Factory unlocked iPhone 4
    So i apparantly bought an iPhone 4 thats factory unlocked. I wasn't 100% sure it was, so i opened the package and plugged it into itunes.

How can i tell its factory unlocked without putting a non-at&t sim in it?

The phone is not in emergency mode and working normal, but i don't remember if that does activate without a sim anyway.

help

iPhone? More like MyPhone dykzebr's Avatar
    Thanks

What is the model number on it? If I recall correctly, they are a different model number than what the US was issued
    Extremly Happy Verizon iPhone User...

iPhone 4 32gb CDMA JailBROKE!

Thanks

A1332, which is the same as my locked 32gb. But the carrier part no. is different.

I even called apple to ask if they could check, and they said they don't know because the serial i gave showed that its a 16gb iphone 4 black, but everything else that usually pops up about the phone was blank. He said it probably wasn't unlocked because they are super rare.

The guy i bought it from, i told i don't want a refund but i want to know if it truly is unlocked. He said he is using 2 of them he bought now on tmobile. He lives far enough away i can't go there and have him try it on my phone with his sim. His brother bought the phones in Greece.

Ive looked high and low to try find difference between locked and factory unlocked phones and i can't find any solid info, and even apple employees don't have a clue. How the hell does this work?

Also, isn't it you have to have your AT&T sim in the phone to get passed emergency screen? This iPhone just automatically went to to the home screen about 7 seconds after plugging in. The phone said "Activating phone now. This could take a while...DISMISS" or something on those lines. I hit it without reading it too carefully. Stupid me.
    Last edited by Shockster; 2010-07-12 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks

If bought in Greece it is a factory unlocked iphone. I would try to do a restore on it and see if it is still activated afterwards. I am using a LOCKED iphone 4 right right now, and you cannot even play with them unless they have been activated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dykzebr View Post
    If bought in Greece it is a factory unlocked iphone. I would try to do a restore on it and see if it is still activated afterwards. I am using a LOCKED iphone 4 right right now, and you cannot even play with them unless they have been activated.
    Yea, that's what i recall that the phones don't activate past the emergency screen till unlocked. This one, showed the emergency screen then went on to the home screen like 10 seconds after connecting to iTunes.

I will do the restore now and make sure. Don't want to sell it as unlocked then get yelled at =(

Thanks

If you sell it...I am right here..I even have a micro sim for tmo on standby/..

How to verify an iphone if it is factory unlocked or turbosim inside

go setting-->General-->About-->Model

Check the code with official unlocked list below

ITALY TIM
    MB489T/A
    MB496T/A
    MB500T/A

HONG KONG 3
    MB489ZP/A
    MB496ZP/A
    MB500ZP/A

NEW ZEALAND Vodafone
    MB489X/A
    MB496X/A
    MB500X/A

Singapore
    MB489ZA/A
    MB496ZA/A
    MB500ZA/A

CZECH
    MB489CZ/A
    MB496CZ/A
    MB500CZ/A
    MB490CZ/A
    MB497CZ/A
    MB501CZ/A

Greece
    MB489GR/A
    MB496GR/A
    MB500GR/A

Luxemburg
    MB489NF/A
    MB496NF/A
    MB500NF/A

Russia
    MB489RS/A
    MB496RS/A
    MB500RS/A" T

South Africa
    MB489SO/A
    MB496SO/A
    MB500SO/A

Thanks

Can you turbo sim an iPhone 4? And are all of these model numbers unlocked iPhones from the factory?

EDIT

These are the same model numbers as the 3GS?

If it came in a factory sealed box. Look on the bottom of the box. It will say on the requirements. Second paragraph from the top. Mine says wireless plan with ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockster View Post
    A1332, which is the same as my locked 32gb. But the carrier part no. is different.

I even called apple to ask if they could check, and they said they don't know because the serial i gave showed that its a 16gb iphone 4 black, but everything else that usually pops up about the phone was blank. He said it probably wasn't unlocked because they are super rare.

The guy i bought it from, i told i don't want a refund but i want to know if it truly is unlocked. He said he is using 2 of them he bought now on tmobile. He lives far enough away i can't go there and have him try it on my phone with his sim. His brother bought the phones in Greece.

Ive looked high and low to try find difference between locked and factory unlocked phones and i can't find any solid info, and even apple employees don't have a clue. How the hell does this work?

Also, isn't it you have to have your AT&T sim in the phone to get passed emergency screen? This iPhone just automatically went to to the home screen about 7 seconds after plugging in. The phone said "Activating phone now. This could take a while...DISMISS" or something on those lines. I hit it without reading it too carefully. Stupid me.
    If it was bought in greece, then its factory unlocked. In fact in other countries where the iphones are locked, you can simply purchase the unlock through them, and it would make it a factory unlocked iPhone.

Alot of the apple employees are unaware of this, thats why you will not receive any type of support for that phone, here in america. Customer support is only for phones purchased in that country.

Are you 100% positive there isn't a sim card in there?

Unlocked or not unlocked, you NEED a sim card to active the phone, activated is not the same as "unlocked".
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

If you need too, you can buy a simcard on prepay from Tmo for $10 and never put anything on it. Ive had one for awhile I use to check when Im unlocking a phone.