Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS unlock? Activate? Tether? I need someone good to run through this with me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS unlock? Activate? Tether? I need someone good to run through this with me
    Ok I have an iPhone 3GS. Its on 3.1.3, 16Gb, so shsh's saved for 3.1.2, jailbroken with spirit, old bootrom. I would like this iPhone to be usable. And by that I mean that I would like to make calls and text on it, and I would like internet acces wherever I can get service. But I am a little new to this.

I have a brand new Rogers SIM card. I will pay to activate it but after that I dont want to spend any more money. Can I unlock my iPhone? Do I need to? What if I tether it? Can I do that and not pay money? Will I get internet without WiFi? Also I would like real texting not a 'FreeText' app.

Basically I want this running like a regular iPhone but for free. I've tried to read and understand it all but its so much to take in at once, I would please like some help from you. I am willing to do all this illegal stuff and I don't minf if I have to down/upgrade. I know it sounds like I'm just saying gimme gimme but I don't mean to. And once I learn I will be able to give back to this community.

Thank-You.

You can just install Ultrasn0w and it's unlocked! I'm not aware of why data wouldn't work, try it and see, there are other things to do if it won't work straight away.

Also:

You should be able to use spirit2pwn and go to iOS4.0 (it's not an offical release but it apparently works).

Use a custom firmware with activation and then unlock with ultrasn0w

Or:

Go back to 3.1.2 and JB with blackra1n then custom firmware to iOS4.0
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-12 at 11:53 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I would alter the iTunes hosts file, restore to a stock 3.1.2, jailbreak with Blackra1n.com. Then create a custom 4.0 with Snowbreeze or Pwnage Tool(or download a custom one from the net), put your phone into recovery mode, Shift/Restore to 4.0, unlock with Ultrasnow. For what it is worth...it is not illegal. You will have to have some sort of data plan to access with an APN changer if you are using an unapproved data plan with your iPhone. Otherwise you will have only wifi. You can tether with a few different Cydia apps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I would alter the iTunes hosts file, restore to a stock 3.1.2, jailbreak with Blackra1n.com. Then create a custom 4.0 with Snowbreeze or Pwnage Tool(or download a custom one from the net), put your phone into recovery mode, Shift/Restore to 4.0, unlock with Ultrasnow. For what it is worth...it is not illegal. You will have to have some sort of data plan to access with an APN changer if you are using an unapproved data plan with your iPhone. Otherwise you will have only wifi. You can tether with a few different Cydia apps.
    Ok thank-you for your answers, please remember I'm not very good at this. What is altering the iTunes host file? and how am I supposed to restore to 3.1.2? And if I go to a custom 4.0 I will have it unlocked after I use ultrasn0w and I can jailbreak it too?

Thanks

Ok is your original post supposed to read "so shsh files saved" or "no shsh files saved"? If you are already jailbroken you can just download ultrasnow from cydia and drop whatever sim you want to use in it.

You are going to have to do some work yourself. You are not going to get step by step instructions for tasks which are already written up. The instructions are already given, find the details yourself.

Thanks

We just need some answers is all

The answers and help are there , we've got a communication problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea and the comunication problem seems to be westonben. if you aren't going to help i would apreciate it if you left. thank you.

And its supposed to say NO shsh files saved. sorry for that. I can unlock it with ultrasn0w but the SIM I want to use is the same kind that came with the iPhone originally. So what other advantages come with unlocking?

Oh I already installed ultrasn0w. I still need to activate my SIM card. Unless there is another way?
    Last edited by MrInsane; 2010-07-13 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sorry you are right, I was posting on the wrong thread!

Can I ask a couple of questions though:

Is your phone locked and if so, is it locked to a carrier other than the one you are trying to use it with? It sounds to me like you don't need unlock as you are using the phone with the carrier it's locked with - right? There's no advantages to unlocking unless you wanted to sell it at a later date.

Once you have your phone working with your carrier, what do you want to do? Are you trying to use it as a phone without paying for calls? That can't be done. Or is it something else?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I will pay for calls because I don't make much. Basically I want to text for free with actual text and have Internet. Your right I don't need to unlock it, but if I tether can I get Internet wherever, for free?

You will pay for usage of Data for internet access, whether through tethering a computer or browsing through your phone.

I'm not aware of anyway to get anything free from the carriers.

You can turn cellular data off and just use wifi (for home/hotspots).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So no matter what I'm going to have to pay for my iPhone?

What is tethering?
    Last edited by MrInsane; 2010-07-13 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yes you'll have to pay for anything from the carrier.

Tethering is linking your computer to your iPhone so your computer can use the Internet connection. Check apples website.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh, I thought it was the other way around. lol Ok thank-you