Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Old Iphone 2g 3.1.2 bootneuter error 5 any ideas?

Default Old Iphone 2g 3.1.2 bootneuter error 5 any ideas?
    I am trying to unlock my roommates Iphone 2g 3.1.2 bb 4.05.04g and keep getting Error 5 with boot neuter. I have tired multiple ways of jailbreaking (redsn0w, pwnage tool) with no avail. Can anyone tell me how to update the baseband or what i am doing wrong would be much appreciated. And boot neuter has been run both with sim and without sim. Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not sure what error #5 means.

But .... does the phone work now? Probably not.

I prefer pwnagetool 3.1.5 .... seems to be the most robust.
    Try selecting a different baseband (there are two available (3.9/4.6?)
    A few other bootneuter options exist (I've forgotten exactly what they are), but if it were my iPhone, I would keep trying different option combinations hoping to find something that worked.

BTW: I believe I have been successful with and without a SIM, but I also think installing the SIM is the recommended method.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

rmlmlb (2010-07-12)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well, with redsn0w if you select "unlock" before proceeding to jailbreak, it should unlock the phone automatically for you with bootneuter. Did it not work when you tried redsn0w?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

rmlmlb (2010-07-12)

Yea everything goes fine with redsn0w restarts launches bootneuter and then it says flashing but after that i get error 5 which is bootloader flash failed.. I have tried both 3.9 and 4.6. I am gonna try a DFU clean restore to 3.1.2 and then redsn0w again..?? Thanks for the response...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^Anniex423.....

Correct me if I'm wrong .... but
    .... isn't bootneuter a separate program that both pwnagetool and redsn0w use to reflash the baseband?? And bootneuter is the only 2G tool to make the iphone carrier-free?

Just checking....clarifying. Couldn't help to try a different approach .....

Good luck

Restored to 3.1.2 in DFU mode (clean factory restore) ran redsn0w with unlock selected...jailbreak was fine until reboot when bootneuter ran...options it selected were 3.9 neuter and unlock started flashing bootloader when error 5 appeared which is flashing bootloader failed..so no dice any other suggestions???

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Uggg. Was hoping for some good new for a change

Can I assume you've Googled this error?

Some old timer might have encountered this as well as a solution?

Also .... I don't expect a change .....
    But if you're interested, try building a new IPSW w/Pwngetool with a non-standard root partition size, and DFU/load with a Mac and iTunes 8.x. Worth a try.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-07-12 at 02:50 AM.

Restored in DFU with custom 3.1.2 firmware via Pwnage tool 3.1.5 still error 5 flashing bootloader failed...is there any way to downgrade to 2.2.1 and use quickpwn??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^^ Sure. You can put any version on a 2G (except 4.0). I don't remember the exact procedure, but it was very similar to current and used an older version of Pwnage. Directions should still be available here or on iClarified.

However, bootneuter hasn't changed for like forever ....... and you probably will run into the same issue. Sorry.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-07-12 at 04:01 AM.