Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: (Noob question?) iPhone 4 lock-unlocked versions

Thanks
    Question (Noob question?) iPhone 4 lock-unlocked versions
    is there some physical difference between the locked version and the unlocked one shipping in Canada\UK etc?
    if not, than why can't the locked one be "whipped" and uploaded with the entire software from the unlock version, including the bootrom and all?
    seem it would be an easier way to go about unlocking it, wont it?

(and yes, I'm asking cause I have an AT&T locked iphone 4 sitting in a box, with a new micro sim i picked up from my cell provider, which they were nice enough to give me for free, and I would really like to be able to use it asap )
    Last edited by MkUltra; 2010-07-10 at 05:47 PM.

Actually, the model number is different as far as I know. I guess that the hardware itself isn't, but then it must be something in the bootrom or something as such.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Apple controls which phone is unlocked or not. If they felt like being nice, you give them your s/n and they cant punch that into the database and unlock it instantly for you. Unfortunately they dont do that for us in the US

There are no physical differences though.

Just like Apple can block IMEI's and disable the phone, they can also unlock the phone. Crazy huh?!

Thanks
    hmmm interesting stuff.. I wonder what the odds of them being nice and unlocking it then.. might as well give it a shoot..
    I actually like the fact they can block the IMEI.. when i had my old iPod stolen i which they could do something similar with that too..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MkUltra View Post
    ...I wonder what the odds of them being nice and unlocking it then.. ....
    ... how high can you count? : 0000 ....

Thanks
    lol yeah i just got off the phone with them.. the guy basically said he has no knowledge of such data base and how to help me with the unlock through them.. anyone have a more specific phone number I could call that knows more maybe?
    anyways.. till i find a solution its a 32GB brick

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah I meant to say that as a way to easily portray it to you. I didnt mean actually go ask...

Apple wont do it for sh*t. The only chance is to have service with an official UK carrier and ask them to unlock. Then that carrier forwards the request to Apple which allows for the instant unlock. Never gonna happen for US.

Thanks
    lol well I gave it a shoot..
    well.. I'll try and talk to my carrier.. they're not gonna have iPhone 4's till September.. see if they can help me out though

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

So my advice to you is to sell it and get either a factory unlocked or an already jb/unlocked one from someone. Thats all you can do.

You wont see Apple or AT&T unlocking for US users and they dont just take requests from individuals. It must come from a cell phone carrier that carries the phone.

Thanks
    well I'll talk to my carrier.. either they'll be able to help me out.. (they were nice enough to give me a micro sim for free..) or they wont.. in which case I'll just wait for an unlock selling it for an unlocked one is not gonna happen.. they prices for those are ridicules, and I already have this one.. anyways.. thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Thats kind of confusing :/ if your carrier carries iPhones officially, why wouldnt you just wait till they get the phones and buy it from them so you wouldnt have a useless phone right now?

Thanks
    lol well.. the plans they have for the iPhone suck.. they give you like 300mins for about $95 and you need to pay about $450 for the phone.. I rather get the phone myself, and choose a plan where i get twice as many mins for the same amount.. basically if i get it from them I'll end up paying about $1,000 for the iPhone.. and get a shitty mins plan..
    this way I have no contract, and I can get a better plan.
    oh.. and they wont have the iPhone 4 till September-October.. and then there's gonna be a waiting list here... and I don't want to wait till 2011 I'm sure the unlock will be out in a month tops.. I can wait

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ohhh ok now youre making sense, haha. Well the unlock should be out soon so I suppose your plan is very well devised.

Thanks
    well... after being locked in a contract with the shitty Motorola K1 for 3 years, I'm done with contracts once they have you locked in.. you're #@*% this way I'm much more flexible, I can change providers when\if i please and i can choose any plan i want