Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to check FW version of unactivated phone....

Exclamation How to check FW version of unactivated phone....
    How do I check the firmware version of an unactivated 2G? I tried to jailbreak it, but to no avail, so I'm thinking it has to do with using the wrong program for its FW. So, does anyone know what I can do to check the FW version?

(Yes, I did plug it into iTunes, but its unactivated, so It doesnt say anything. )

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You don't have an option to restore it in iTunes? It should try to download a firmware for you and then you can accept it or deny it.
    Can you launch the settings app?

Settings app is a no go. My only option on the phone is to make an emergency call.

iTunes asked me to restore it, so I did a Shift+Click and restored a 3.1.2 that I got from the interwebs. Everything seemed ok, but still wouldnt jailbreak.

So, I was thinking maybe it had 3.1.3 or higher? (idk if they have higher on the 2G). Maybe thats why I couldnt jailbreak, cause I tried to go backwards?

I guess Its ok to upgrade to 3.1.3 and then use ultrasn0w to jailbreak?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Try restoring it to a stock firmware. You have a 2G and Apple doesn't monitor them like they do with the 3GS.

The 3.1.2 I put on it should have been stock. Are you saying let iTunes put whatever the newest fw is on it?

Idk what the latest fw for the 2g is, but what tool will I need to jailbreak it after updating?

And again, thanks for your help.