Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate iPhone 4?

Default Activate iPhone 4?
    Hi guys,
    Searched for a while and couldnt find an answer to this.

So if I bought an iphone 4 off ebay now, would I be able to activate it and atleast use it as an ipod touch?
    I plan and using it on tmobile once the unlock comes out, but am i stuck leaving it in the box until the unlock/jailbreak is released? Is there a way to activate with an older "trimmed" att sim card?

Thanks guys.

You would have to have an activated ATT simcard to activate it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    You would have to have an activated ATT simcard to activate it.
    I have a bunch of old "inactive" ATT sim cards, and cut one down to fit in the micro sim tray. Works like a charm, just did a restore yesterday and got past the activation no problem.
    -sim-cut-001.jpg
    -sim-cut-003.jpg
    Last edited by kmmxracer; 2010-07-09 at 04:13 AM.

^Thats a pretty good idea....didnt think bout that. I actually have a handful also...lol.

hey i have a similar situation as the OP. I bought the iphone 4 off of craigslist. I dont have the sim card it came with. If i can get my hands on a att microsim that doesnt have service can i just put that in and do a restore? will that bypass the activation screen?

Do i need a att sim that has service on it or one that doesnt have service will do? From what i read of kmmxracer's post, i should just need a black att sim that fits in the iphone 4 (need to cut old onces to make it fit) and just do a restore to get past the activation screen. is that true?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Any at&t sim will work. Service to it or not.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

dagamer01 (2010-07-13)

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    Any at&t sim will work. Service to it or not.
    Thank you and sorry for reconfirming this. you see iphone 4 is my first apple device and thus its my first time trying to do anything regarding activating/jailbreaking/unlocking.

Also activating using this method, will I ever have to activate again?

Quote Originally Posted by dagamer01 View Post
    Thank you and sorry for reconfirming this. you see iphone 4 is my first apple device and thus its my first time trying to do anything regarding activating/jailbreaking/unlocking.

Also activating using this method, will I ever have to activate again?
    You will have to activate again if you do a factory Restore.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kmmxracer For This Useful Post:

dagamer01 (2010-07-13)

Quote Originally Posted by kmmxracer View Post
    You will have to activate again if you do a factory Restore.
    If i do a factory restore after activating this way, can i use this same method to activate it again?

I think i am a bit confused now. Here is what i dont understand:

1) I put in a AT&T sim card with no service into the iphone 4 and do a restore to get passed the activate screen.
    2) i do a factory reset of the iphone 4 with the same AT&T sim with no service on it in the iphone 4.

will the scenario i list listed above put my iphone 4 back into "not activated" mode after following step 2? From what you've said about bypassing activation screen with a black at&t sim card in the phone, it should just reset with phone activated right? Did you mean I will have to reactivate the phone if i reset the phone with a third party sim card in the phone?

Thank you for all the clarification. Also seeing as i am very new to this, would it be too much of a bother if i you can post a step by step (bypass activation screen for dummies) guide to this? I will greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dagamer01; 2010-07-13 at 03:51 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yep. A jailbreak that also hacktivates may come out in the future in which case you can activate with without an AT&T simcard.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

dagamer01 (2010-07-13)

soo.. i just got my iphone 4 and the ebay seller forgot to activate the phone.. i do have a at&t sim card that says i would need the last 4 digits of their SSN to continue in Itunes. Could the seller call AT&T and unlink this micro sim card from their account, which then will be a un-serviced sim which won't ask for SSN confirmation?
    THANKS!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It would probably be easier to go into AT&T and get a new microsim under your name/account.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure thats how it works. It might be the phone itself and not the sim.
    Last edited by ianbroste; 2010-07-14 at 10:12 PM.

im in canada though ;(

I bought an iPhone 4 off of eBay and the seller did not activate either. So I received the phone with their original sim (inactive). When I plug in to activate via iTunes, it will only activate via their number and I cannot change it.

I have talked with Apple and AT&T and they are telling me the only possible way is to get her to give me her last 4 digits and social security number. Which, I can't for the life of me figure out why a stranger would be willing to give another stranger their personal information...

I digress, there has to be a work-around as I can't imagine I am the first person to have this issue. I have been in to an AT&T corp store and talked with Apple SR Support rep that said an Apple store won't be able to fix either.

Any advice?

So my inactive sim card has been in its vegetative state for the past 5 months. Cut my service since. I'm guessing it's fine too right (to pass activation)?

Update: Inactive sim card works. Passed activation screen without any problems
    Last edited by sphaler; 2010-08-03 at 02:54 AM.