Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: question about factory unlocking Iphone

Default question about factory unlocking Iphone
    you know how on like a blackberry you can type in an unlock code in a special screen and it will unlock the phone permanent is there a way to do the same with an iPhone. I wonder if an AT&T rep can go into a screen and see the unlock code for the individual phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotairgypsy View Post
    you know how on like a blackberry you can type in an unlock code in a special screen and it will unlock the phone permanent is there a way to do the same with an iPhone. I wonder if an AT&T rep can go into a screen and see the unlock code for the individual phone.
    I don't think the Iphone can be unlocked the same way as other phones, I know what you mean , I used to have a nokia, all you need is punch in some codes given by the carrier and it unlocks permanently.
    For iphone, if it is factory unlocked, it will check with Apple server and pop up a message that is is factory unlocked.

No. and no.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    No. and no.
    cpjr === I'm a bit confused.
    Can you explain.

I thought iPhones on certain UK carriers (and a few other countries) were initially locked at purchase, but could be unlocked by the carrier after a certain time period.

If my assumptions are correct, it should also be possible for AT&T to unlock iPhones (or authorize Apple to unlock via iTunes or?) just like they do in UK. Of course someone must convince AT&T (and Apple) it's necessary --- and we all know that will not be an easy task!

Who wants to take on AT&T (or Apple)? (haha

I have always had these same thoughts. But if it could be done, it would have been done along time ago. Apple just doesn't make it that easy.

ATT cannot, Apple can. But Apple obviously never will.

PS- ATT has practically no access to the phone what so ever. All they can do with it is an initial activation, which is actually done through itunes, lol, after the simcard is activated.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2010-07-08 at 04:36 AM.

In my country, after 1 year you are entitled to the ownership of the phone, so the carrier will unlock the iphone in case you want to change to another carrier. I have seen this done for 2 iphones in the company. How they do it? I dont know.