Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This has probably been asked a million times, but..

Default This has probably been asked a million times, but..
    I just want to be absolutely certain that I do not screw this up.

Okay, here goes. I have a 16GB iPhone 3GS jailbroken AND unlocked with T-Mobile, running OS 3.0.1 & firmware 04.26.08.

I received this phone in August 09, and have NEVER updated it. But with all the new apps being updated, I am unable to download many of them.

So I want to update to i0S4, and I know that I can't update it via the iTunes route.

However, my iPhone is already jailbroken with Sinful iPhone 5.6 (I think, because it was already unlocked/jb'd when I got it.)

The thing about it is, I absolutely depend on my unlock, but I have a lot of jailbroken apps that I would like to keep. Is there a way for me to update to iOS4 without losing my unlock or my jailbroken apps?

Thanks. =)

Yes, but u need to use a custom firmware. Either use pwnagetools if your on Mac, or sn0wbreeze if your pc.

You will lose your jailbroken apps, so take note of which ones you need, so u can re download them. Or you can use apt backup, but I have no experience with it

I'm on a pc, so I'll download that. I need my jb'd apps, but they aren't that important. Will I mess up my unlock so that I can't unlock it again?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as you use a custom firmware made by pwnage tool you will not lose your unlock. It will preserve your baseband. You can always redownload your cydia apps as long as they have been ported to 4.0

since I don't have a mac & can't use pwnagetool, will snowbreeze do the same job?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes. Download vs 1.6.1

thank you =)

*goes to download*

I'll be back shortly.

**UPDATE**

okay, I'm on the last step, where it says "restoring iphone software" & it looks like it's on about 95% but it hasn't moved at all for about 30 minutes.

what do I do?
    Last edited by KidPoetic; 2010-07-06 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost