Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updating iPhone 3G from 3.1.3 to 4.0: Pros and Cons?

Lightbulb Updating iPhone 3G from 3.1.3 to 4.0: Pros and Cons?
    Hi everyone.
    I use a 3.1.3, unlocked iPhone 3G (05.12.01) and am seriously considering updating it to the latest iOS 4.0

A lot of people have told me that it has its good things, other people have told me it sucks. My main concern is to unlock it, however I am also trying to understand the generals of it.

WHAT'S SO GOOD ABOUT IT? WHAT SUCKS ABOUT IT? Is it 100% unlockable?

Thank you everyone for your understanding and responses.

I was in your position up until today, updated to custom jailbreak iOS4 and unlocked with T-Mobile (keep in mind I am an iNoob)

As for is it worth it updating to 4.0.... I don't see why not, there are plenty of new features in 4.0 (Google this), everything seems to work perfectly for me.

If you used Spirit to jailbreak 3.1.3 and you have old bootrom, you should be able to JB / unlock using the same steps I did...

add repo.wizwoo.net ... download spirit2pwn app ...

download sn0wbreeze 1.6.2 + official os 4.0 ipsw ... follow instructions to create custom jailbroken 4.0 ispw.... in iTunes, hold left SHIFT + click restore and select the custom 4.0 file.

ultrasn0w to unlock... voila!

Thanks for the response!
    I don't think I used Spirit to jailbreak 3.1.3, I used iTunes holding the Shift + Click procedure with its according ISPW. Can I still jailbreak and unlock 4.0 if I didn't use Spirit?

Yes you can since you have a 3G iphone. The 4.0 has the folders which is a nice feature. Also, there is the multitasking which gives you the ability to switch between apps quickly without closing the app fully. Great when using a navigation app or something like Trapster. Also, Mywi 4.0 which gives you the ability to create a wifi network from your 3G so you can feed another phone or an ipad etc. I can tell you that overall, its a little slower since there isn't that much RAM in the 3G but overall, the experience is fun. To ensure that everything works well, I had to use pwnage tool because Redsn0w kept reverting the carrier update setting to the old one which killed the data and the mms.

I like the new features such as spell checker in email.

However, I heard the 3G runs a little slow for some. Works great on my 3GS.

You can always go back to 3.1.3 if you don't like it anyway!

Has anyone had issues with the carrier settings and MMS when jailbreaking with redsn0w?

Not me, but I hear a few have. The latest version is supposed to fix it anyway