Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Im sure its been asked a million times before...(3GS unlock)

Default Im sure its been asked a million times before...(3GS unlock)
    Hi everyone out there. If anyone is able to help me out I would really appreciate it. Im new with the whole unlocking/jailbreaking scene so please be kind Also any answers please if you could us layman's terms I'd really appreciate (i.e. what the heck is blackra1n?? LOL)

ANYWAY, On to my question

I have a iPhone 3GS (7E18) 3.1.3 with modem firmware 05.12.01. I used Spirit to Jailbreak it a few weeks back and its been working fine but now I am interested in unlocking it.
    My first question basically is can I unlock it and then re-lock it back without it bricking and/or anything else going wrong with it? And how do I go about doing that?
    Also, I want to upgrade to iOS 4.0, should I do that BEFORE I unlock it, or do it AFTER I relock it (if possible) or at which point in time (again, IF possible)

BTW: I am traveling for a little out of the country thats why I am unlocking it and wondering if its possible to relock it when I come back. If I cant relock it, its not a big deal as long as I can still upgrade to 4.0 with no problems.

I sincerely apologize for asking such a redundant question but I've been reading around for awhile and everything has just made me so much more confused. Also with all the terminology I don't understand any of the answers. Really any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Also, if I can't do what I'm asking, can't I just restore my phone and jailbreak it again but not with spirit but with some other program that will allow me to do what I want?
    Last edited by iphoneuser1234567; 2010-06-30 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You can unlock 3.1.3 5.12.01 with ultrasnow download and reboot just make sure you are not running iTunes 9.2 and have taken off check for updates in iTunes as well do you have the new bootrom or the old one and have you saved your shsh blobs with either umbrella or auto shsh \ cydia if not and new bootrom you are stuck at the moment but at least then you can still be jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.3 anyway

for the reply, a couple questions

how do I know if I have the old bootrom or new bootrom?
    What are shsh blobs and how do I know if I've saved them with umberalla or cydia (I have cydia on my phone, is that automatically save these blobs?)

but the most confusing part you said is if I so t have them saved and I have the new bootrom then I'm stuck but "at least then you can still be jailbroken and unlocked at 3.1.3 anyway" so can I unlock or can't eitherway?

Btw, is re-locking possible?

Thanks so much!

Thanks

To check iPhone 3G/3GS bootrom version:

Put your iphone in DFU mode.
    (Connect your iPhone to iTunes, turn off, click power +home button for 10 seconds, leave POWER button after 10 seconds, holding HOME button)

iTunes will detect your iPhone in recovery mode.

Go To:

Start->Control Panel->Device Manager

In Universal Serial BUS Controller, you will find Apple Mobile Device USB Driver

Right Click and go to Properties, go to Details tab and select "Device Instance Path" from the drop down list box.

In that information, u will find [iBoot-359.x] at the end.

On a Mac:

Put the iPhone in DFU mode
    Then navigate to "About this Mac".
    From there go to "More Info...", and select USB on the list on the left.
    Under the USB menu you can select "Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)" and that will bring up information about the iPhone.

About half way down it will have the iBoot information:
    It will either be [iBoot-359.3]-old or [iBoot-359.3.2]-new.
    To get it out of DFU mode just hold both the home and power button until it powers back on

... and yes, this question has been asked and answered 1 million times, it would have been much quicker to search one of the existing threads than to write a book...

much better dude is to stick on your firmware. rather than upgarding it to iOS4. because it's not compatible w/ 3g/3gs as of now.. you will encounter alot of problems after you update and jb/ unlock. if your iphone is already JB use ultrasn0w 0.93 it unlocks BB 4.26 - 5.13..ty. Godspeed

Same here i was jailbroken with spirit with firmware 3.1.3 baseband 5.12.01 bootrom 6.4 i also tryed ultrasnow but still cant get it unlocked is there any way to unlock my phone any help would be appreciated as its really driving me crazy now. thanks in advance if any one is able to help.Oh also iv uninstalled ultra snow an reinstalled still no joy eeeerrrhhh.Also iv had my shsh
    Last edited by hargs; 2010-07-01 at 01:49 PM.