Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrade from 3.0 to ios 4

Default upgrade from 3.0 to ios 4
    I have jailbroken, unlocked iPhone 3gs 3.0, with 04.26.08.
    I don't remember what I used to jailbreak/unlock... whatever was around in August 2009 for the 3GS.

I would like to know if it's possible to upgrade to the new ios 4 without losing my jailbreak and unlock and without losing all the unauthorized apps I've installed?

Thanks

Thanks

several threads that asked this same question...

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    several threads that asked this same question...
    With all do respect my boy
    thats not what he asked at all.

To many people don't give straight foward answers. If your not going to contribute to a thread why comment at all?

AND ANOTHER THING..
    many people say search the forums wtf?
    alot of people actually have lives unlike some of you who say search the forum..please answer the question for some noobs who are new and know absolutely nothing instead of leaving them dry with little to no information.
    Last edited by TrumpetKid_93; 2010-06-29 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Well let's start by not trying to insult another member.

And there is not much searching because most of the threads like yours are right at the top. There is also some in the news section of which devices can be jailbroken on 4.0.

So short answer; yes you can jailbreak and unlock on 4.0 but you have to upgrade using a custom firmware.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I've actually tried to search the forums but all I could find were threads dating back to 2008. Then again I'm not familiar with this forum's layout so maybe I'm not searching the right place...

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not a total and complete noob but I would like to know if I try this upgrade, jailbreak, and then unlock will I lose all my unauthorized apps and have to start over installing them? The only thing I really like about the new ios is multitasking and folders for organizing apps! I already have tethered internet and mms.

Also is it possible to just upgrade to 3.1.2? I'm still using 3.0 and I've noticed recently some apps won't work on it.
    Last edited by gsm113; 2010-06-29 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks

Some of the items still work but there is a compatibility list: http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...lity-list.html

I am unsure of the APN changes needed to get that other stuff working. But in our guides section are the guides on how to upgrade.

Apple, iPhone, iPad and iPod Guides | ModMyi.com

No you can't go to 3.1.2 since Apple stopped signing it, Unless your Cydia says 3.1.2 SHSH saved in the top.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-06-29 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks. But it seems like the guide deals with people who are on 3.1.2 and up. Will this work with 3.0 and will I lose my unauthorized apps in the process and have to install them again?

Stay away from iOS4. There's no real need to update yet. If your going to do anything use a customer ipw 3.1.3. I hope this helped.

Can anyone confirm if I will lose my unauthorized apps during my upgrade to 3.1.2 or 4.0?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Stay away from iOS4. There's no real need to update yet. If your going to do anything use a customer ipw 3.1.3. I hope this helped.
    There is no real need to be on 3.1.3 actually. If anything a custom build to 3.1.2 would be better but 4.0 gives a lot of features to not only the user but also developers get new APIs to use. Also it added several security fixes that left safari wide open.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Thenextkiller's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes you will lose your apps that you got illegally.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
    I have jailbroken, unlocked iPhone 3gs 3.0, with 04.26.08.
    I don't remember what I used to jailbreak/unlock... whatever was around in August 2009 for the 3GS.

I would like to know if it's possible to upgrade to the new ios 4 without losing my jailbreak and unlock and without losing all the unauthorized apps I've installed?

Thanks
    Alright, this is my answer to your question :
    Create a custom firmware of iOS 4.0 and do a Shift + restore to the cfw placed on you desktop.
    If you are using a pc : Download SnowBreeze version 1.6.2 ( fixed ibooks, youtube not working and errors )
    If you are using a Mac : Download Pwnage Tool 4.0.1
    Once finished restored , go to Cydia and install Ultrasn0w.
    You are now jailbroken and unlocked at iOS 4.0
    Done, enjoy.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-07-03 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks for the help.

And to the previous poster my unauthorized apps are from Cydia.

Anytime you re-jailbreak you will start over with a brand new phone with nothing on it. You then sync with iTunes and get your Paid App Store Apps, contacts, iPod music, calendar, etc...all back.

There is a program in Cydia called PkgBackup. People have had mixed results with it working to back up all your Cydia apps. You just install it via Cydia and run it to backup your Cydia apps before you start the re-jailbreak process. To be clear, this program is for Cydia apps, not cracked App Store Apps.
    Last edited by Fish_1; 2010-07-01 at 02:28 AM.

I have what could be a dumb question. I am 3gs running 3.1.3 jailbroken with Spirit. I ran that new program to modify Spirit. Now do I upgrade to 4.0 then jailbreak or do I create a custom 4.0 firmware using sn0breeze first?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geisha67 View Post
    I have what could be a dumb question. I am 3gs running 3.1.3 jailbroken with Spirit. I ran that new program to modify Spirit. Now do I upgrade to 4.0 then jailbreak or do I create a custom 4.0 firmware using sn0breeze first?
    No , you can't restore to custom firmware of iOS 4.0.
    Reason : you have used Spirit
    : you must have an old bootrom to be able to use Custom firmware

Don't do it, or you will find yourself restoring to official iOS 4.0 and no more jailbreaking and unlocking for you.