Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlock 3gs to OS 4.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default unlock 3gs to OS 4.0
    hi all, first time poster. ok so i have myself a 3gs non jailbroken or unlocked running OS 4.0 however i have a friend that has a 3GS running either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 <cant remember> which is jailbroken and unlocked. he has cydia on it but he is the type of guy that doesnt even know what jailbreaking nor unlocking means, he just had someone do it so he can have tmobile. well i was wondering what i would have to do in order to get his phone running the OS 4.0 software. do i need to do another jailbreak or just an unlock? any help would be greatly appreciated! maybe a link to a guide or a tutorial? i am pretty computer savy myself however and feel i could do it myself if i had the steps...i have never hacked an iphone before because i have att. thanks again for the help

I am also a newbee here..i can suggest you u shud search the previous thread on unlocking and jailbreak on IO4 i hope u will get the answer...to m knowledge 4.0 is not jailbreak...i m not sure about it i just read it some where...

Green Apple
    Thanks

DONT do it, the iphone 3G[s]seems to be one of the more complicated Iphones to jailbreak depending on the version it is, you might just end up keeping his phone a phone because it wont be jailbroken or unlocked, but you said he isnt on 4.0 so tell him to open cydia, and press the "make my life easier button" if he doesnt see it tell him to look at the very top of cydia and find out if a SHSH is on file

Double check his baseband., I'm on 05.11.07 I've just gone to iOS 4.0 from 3.1.3 and unlocked and jailbroken.

I followed the steps on redmondpie.com and it went without a hitch.

Basically you will use custom firmware to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's not a baseband issue, if you havnt saved your SHSH on cydia or some where on your computer, you're out of luck. Or you can just wait for the dev team to come out with a jailbreak for it.

BUT if your friend should have one of the older models of the 3Gs there is still hope. You can use sn0wbreeze if he's a windows user or pwnagetool if he's a mac user.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here is the info for his phone: it's an iphone 3GS unlocked and jailbroken for t-mobile with iOS 3.1.2. The info on it are as follows: MODEL is MB_ _ _ _ _,The FIRMWARE is 5.11.07, and the VERSION is 3.1.2. Is this phone unlockable and jailbreakable to version os 4.0? He had it unlocked and jailbroken through someone on craigslist about 2 weeks before 3.1.3 came out. Im not sure of his bootrom but i can put his phone in DFU mode and check it tomorrow evening and post the information if that is what is needed to know if it is jailbreakable or not. Ive read a lot of info about people saying that the SHSH files have to be saved either on a computer (which i would not have access to because this was some random guy that did it for him) or on the iPhone itself under cydia i believe? Do most people usually save the SHSH files on the iPhone itself? If so how would i know (is it the "make my life easier" button? and if the SHSH file is saved to the iPhone is it possible to JB & unlock to 4.0 and how would i go about upgrading the software? thank you for your help in advance and pardon me for all the questions. ive read so many forum posts (many of which have contradicting information) that i am just confused and feel the best thing is to just ask my questions here and hope that i will get some answers. thanks again, beems.

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Double check his baseband., I'm on 05.11.07 I've just gone to iOS 4.0 from 3.1.3 and unlocked and jailbroken.
    Westonben: Is it the baseband or the bootrom that is the pending factor on if it can be JB/UL?

This is part of where i am confused because i have the new bootrom on my phone and was told that i cannot upgrade yet because i have the new bootrom.
    Last edited by beems; 2010-07-01 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lord Ceo is correct. You need to check the bootrom too, this can be done by by going into Settings> General > Serial Number

Check out the 3rd, 4th and 5th numbers.

The 3rd number will reveal the year - needs to be 9. The 4th and 5th reveal the week - needs to be lower than 38.

If you have the old bootrom as per the above then you can just create custom firmware via sn0wbreeze 1.6.2 (follow instructions here: Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie)

Once that is done, you can unlock with Ultrasn0w, the link for instructions is on the page above. It sounds more complicated than it is, you'll be fine. Don't worry about SHSH files on record, it's too late now. You will be able to store an SHSH using 'Tiny Umbrella' after you've upgraded so that you can always restore to a working iOS4.0 anyway, hopefully there would be no need to ever go back to 3.1.2.

Here's the link for Tiny Umbrella instructions: http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-4.0.1-...hsh-blobs-now/
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-01 at 09:03 AM.