Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3g 3.1.2 to 4.0???

Default iphone 3g 3.1.2 to 4.0???
    I am a bit confused right now after going through some of the instructions.

Do I just get 4.0 from itunes direct update or do I download a new 4.0 ipsw file and install using that file?

The tutorial I was looking at was nice but it was for a 3gs and I only have a 3g.

The other tutorial showed how to unlock with ultrasn0w but does not show how to get 4.0.

So, my question is where do I get 4.0 and get it installed for the 3g version.

My baseband is 05.11.07 and I am on version 3.1.2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can directly download 3G iOS 4.0 from Apple or from iclarified.com and let it install.
    If you know where it is placed in your pc, while running Redsn0w 0.9.5b5, you will need to point it to this 4.0 ipsw. You can then unlock with Ultrasn0w 0.9.3. You have to update your Itunes to 9.2 too. You are set to go.

Just to add a comment:

I have upgraded my 3g TO 4.0 and so far am not impressed.

The phone hangs and crashes frequently. I would strongly advise waiting for awhile till some of the devs figure out of the issue is JB/unlock related or just a buggy iOS 4.0 on 3G implementation from apple.

I am contemplating downgrading to 3.1.2 if these crashes and hangs continue:

See my thread: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/715...html#linkbacks

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm thinking of downgrading back to 3.1.3 also. Mine isn't crashing or hanging too bad but has done it a couple times. It's just too slow. So is the downgrade as easy as just restoring with the 3.1.3 OS using an older version of Itunes?

Wessy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Frankly speaking, there is not enough ram and speed for 3G to run 4.0 ion multitasking, just an opinion

I have no problem with it on my 3G, correction, i am losing signal where i never used to.

Hey guys quick question sorry if I'm thread jacking. Anyways two guys at my work have 3g that are running 3.13. They both need the phones jb/unlocked. I've never update my phone past 3.12 and I've used Blackrain. So to jb/unlock the 3.13 do I have to update to 4.0? and if not is it recommended to use redsnow or spirit for 3.13?

This is what I do, to have my 3G with the 4 OS running reasonable good. On your phone select Settings, then General, then Spotlight Search, and untick all apps. Except Contact, and Applications.