Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do you activate iPhone 4 if you don't have AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by DHolloran View Post
    Well ya you can unlock it but unless you have some sort of unlocked sim or a magic sim shrinker you still have the issue of the micro sim so no matter what you can't use it. I don't have an iphone 4 yet but from what I hear they are micro sims
    I don't want to deal with at&t activation snafu so I just cut the sim from my 3gs with a pair of scissors. Size comparison with a regular sim next to the cut sim.

Quote Originally Posted by iPh0wned View Post
    i just picked up my ATT cell phone and brought it back to montreal....it comes with a blank micro sim card, and thats enough to activate the phone so you can use it....all i had to do was plug into computer with itunes, no line needed. but i decided that its pointless, and by the time the unlock comes out, i can just get one from rogers. its a sick phone, gorgeous screen, but without a line attached, its really nothing special. ill stick to my 3gs until i can get a factory unlocked (so i can use it in canada, us, and israel where i travel the most)
    Okey so now we have atleast two iPhone 4 in Montreal
    I picked my one and brought it with me yesterday too

hey guys, i've bought the iphone 4 thru ebay but however the person who sold it to me bought this phone from AT & T and that I'm now stuck with the activation part whereby I'll need to type in his billing zip code and the last four digit of the SSN and of course there is no way that seller is going to give me all those informations. To make things worse, I do not have any account with AT & T. So what do i do now? Can i juz wait for the jailbreak and unlock to come out and that will solve the problem or I'll have to go to AT & T to get an account? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by moonylove View Post
    hey guys, i've bought the iphone 4 thru ebay but however the person who sold it to me bought this phone from AT & T and that I'm now stuck with the activation part whereby I'll need to type in his billing zip code and the last four digit of the SSN and of course there is no way that seller is going to give me all those informations. To make things worse, I do not have any account with AT & T. So what do i do now? Can i juz wait for the jailbreak and unlock to come out and that will solve the problem or I'll have to go to AT & T to get an account? Thanks in advance!

is there an ATT sim inside when you plug it to itunes? (even if a blank sim)

Hi there, I'm pretty much in the same situation the user you quoted mentioned, that is, bought the phone via eBay, from someone who was eligible for the iPhone 4 upgrade via AT&T. Since my package has not arrived yet, I can't really confirm whether or not there is a sim inside, although I do have an old blank AT&T 3G sim from the 1st gen iPhone.

That being said, considering I do manage to convert my sim to microsim, would it be possible for me to just activate the phone, so it can be used, meanwhile (waiting for unlock), as an Ipod Touch?!

Please do reply. Thanks.

One other thing, considering the aforementioned does not work, would buying an AT&T micro sim (those sold for the Ipad 3g) fix the issue, that is, being just able to activate the phone?!

i picked up my ebay bought phone yesterday , got it from someone who upgraded as well... a blank sim was in phone already, plugged into itunes and was good to go. you can get blank micro sims from ATT, or maybe try cutting up a regular att sim to activate, but im pretty sure it requires a ATT sim (even if not active)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iPh0wned For This Useful Post:

Brpakito (2010-06-25)

there is a micro sim card inside it. I suspect it belongs to the seller's. So should I just get a blank at & t sim card in ebay and place it in the iphone 4 or i really don't what to do.

i picked up my ebay bought phone yesterday , got it from someone who upgraded as well... a blank sim was in phone already, plugged into itunes and was good to go. you can get blank micro sims from ATT, or maybe try cutting up a regular att sim to activate, but im pretty sure it requires a ATT sim (even if not active)
    but when you plug it into the itunes, did they prompt you to key in the billing zip code and last four digit of the SSN of that person's?
    Last edited by moonylove; 2010-06-25 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I see, just to make sure we are in the same situation, the item I'm receiving was a pre-order, not a store pickup, so the box is still wrapped.

By activating the phone, you didn't disable the sellers one, nor did your blank sim became usable right?

I just want the phone to leave that blocked screen and be usable as an iPod while Geohot and the Dev-Team manage a jailbreak and an unlock.

Thanks once more.

Default ebay iphone 4
    Hello, i am on the same situation, i bought the iphone 4 on ebay, ans is asking me the same when i try to activate it, i tried to restore it with another at&t sim, i tried an ipad sim and still unable to activate it without the 4 last digits of social secutity number and zip code

Green Apple
    Thanks

man you can buy iPhone 4 at best buy also, thats where i got mine.

Default Skirting the question
    You seem to be the only one that has been successful at bypassing the original owner's information, activating, and using the phone with a different carrier.

Or did you?

Please describe for the many people in this forum that need the answer on how to bypass the social and telephone of the original owner and set the phone up with our current carrier.

BTW... we have modified our local carrier's sim to a micro sim by cutting it down, but even sticking it in and trying to activate does not happen due to the original owner info that is encoded in the phone.

I'm having the exact same problem here... I bought two iPhone4s and one of them is stuck in this step... Not even a restore will help. iTunes just keeps asking me for the last 4 digits of the social sec. # of the original owner, and his billing zip code.

I've tried putting in preactivated AT&T SIMs, local SIMs... nothing seems to work... It's very frustrating, I've even tried to contact the original owner but he refuses to help me...

Any tips are greatly appreciated. I just need to bypass that activation.

I'm in the same situation... do we just have to wait for Pwnage Tool to hacktivate?

I bought two iPhone 4 of ebay and they also have the previous owners phone number on them when I connect it through iTunes. In order to activate I have to enter their Billing Zip Code and Social Security. I went through a couple of At&t sims but that didn't work. Has anyone tried an "iPhone Activation Sim"??

Quote Originally Posted by xtv89x View Post
    I bought two iPhone 4 of ebay and they also have the previous owners phone number on them when I connect it through iTunes. In order to activate I have to enter their Billing Zip Code and Social Security. I went through a couple of At&t sims but that didn't work. Has anyone tried an "iPhone Activation Sim"??
    I just messaged the person that sells them. Ill see what is said by them and go from there. Hopefully this will provide a solution for all that has this problem.

This is what I asked:
    Dear fonefunshop,

I am in the United States, I have the iPhone 4 that was purchased as a upgrade. When I hook it up to iTunes, It askes for the last 4 digits of a social security number and the zip code. Does your card get it past this to where I can jailbreak and unlock it for use on TMobile?

- mr_varmit

This is what he told me:

Dear mr_varmit,

YES. what you do is this: insert the activation sim into your iPhone, connect iphone to itunes, iphone will now get past the "slide for emergency" screen. and you can now "slide to unlock" this will give you access to all the phone functions except making calls and texts. you will be able to access wi-fi. then you can have a look around on google for jailbreak and unlock solution.

- fonefunshop

Thought I would post this and Im going to buy one and see if it works.

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Varmit; 2010-08-07 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 4 Quote: Its so easy, a caveman can use it!

Unfortunately, what fonefunshop is telling you is not entirely true. You will still need to contact the original owner of the phone number to which the phone is now currently registered to. Notice that in iTunes, the phone is already assigned a number? Your phone will not get activated until you input that Billing Code/SSN info.

When you get this message in iTunes, either the account has a balance with AT&T, which by the way, needs to be settled, before the activation process can proceed.. or worst case, a terminated account, which means that AT&T now has your phone's IMEI blocked on their network :-)

I have worked on a couple of phones like this just an hour ago and even if I configure OneSIM for AT&T or Apple labs, it won't activate.

Such is the risk of buying an AT&T locked iPhone. When buying such, make sure that the box is sealed and has not been activated, or is contract-free. It is best this way since all you need to do is go get either OneSIM, a valid AT&T SIM, or a phonebook sim and activate it yourself.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DaffyDGeek; 2010-08-11 at 08:18 AM.

I can confirm that if you are stuck on the SSN & Zip Code Screen, there are NO SOLUTION to bypass and activate your phone!!! NO iphone activation sim, phonebook sim, DITS, a friend's active IP4 sim, DFU, or any other solutions would work. Don't waste your time & more $$.

Your phone is locked to the original owner's account who likely got the IP4 at a discount and therefore extending the contract, but has not fulfill his/her end of the commitment to the carrier (AT&T) by activating the IP4 with their 4 digits SSN & Zip Code.

The only way to activate is to get the original owner's info or return for an already activated phone. BTW, should you're able to get the original owner's info to activate, let the original owner know that he/she needs to get another sim card for the current phone they're using because it will be disconnected.

Sorry to say, but I was on the same boat and had to find out the hard way after many hours of talking to Apple and AT&T. I'm in the US and was able to resolve my problems by returning the phone. Good luck

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sac916 For This Useful Post:

zoblue (2010-08-19)

Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDGeek View Post
    Unfortunately, what fonefunshop is telling you is not entirely true. You will still need to contact the original owner of the phone number to which the phone is now currently registered to. Notice that in iTunes, the phone is already assigned a number? Your phone will not get activated until you input that Billing Code/SSN info.

When you get this message in iTunes, either the account has a balance with AT&T, which by the way, needs to be settled, before the activation process can proceed.. or worst case, a terminated account, which means that AT&T now has your phone's IMEI blocked on their network :-)

I have worked on a couple of phones like this just an hour ago and even if I configure OneSIM for AT&T or Apple labs, it won't activate.

Such is the risk of buying an AT&T locked iPhone. When buying such, make sure that the box is sealed and has not been activated, or is contract-free. It is best this way since all you need to do is go get either OneSIM, a valid AT&T SIM, or a phonebook sim and activate it yourself.

Hope this helps.
    I bought 3 phones that is factory sealed and has not been touch or open. I experienced that same scenario when opening them. Mostly likely these phone numbers is registered to the IMEI number on the box when they scanned it at the store.

I´m from south america, I bought an iphone 4g from ebay, now that the cellphone arrived to my country, I see on the package an AT&T number, but the cellphone doesnt have the sim card, I asked the seller to send it to me and he sent it today, he told me he would give me all the information possible to activate AT&T itunes, so if everything is true about what you´re saying, I would activate my iphone 4g when I put in the sim card and use the seller´s codes??? he told me the phone was unlocked but not activated....

what happens if the precios owner sold me the iphone, kept the sim card and activated AT&T service???, he is sendind the sim card and all the codes I need...
    Last edited by pipexxxx; 2010-08-13 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Im working on a application that will enter start a array from 0000 to 9999, I already know the zip code to the Biatch that sold me the iphone 4. Mines going to guess and guess and guess till it gets it. If it errors out, it cloes iTunes and restarts the procedure over. This way the fool that sold me the phone, will learn a new lesson.
    iPhone 4 Quote: Its so easy, a caveman can use it!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast