Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just unlocked my 3GS - won't open in iTunes anymore

Default Just unlocked my 3GS - won't open in iTunes anymore
    Pretty much a noob in regards to all this. Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Oh...I'm using iTunes 9.1.1
    Last edited by kube555; 2010-06-22 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What did you use to jailbreak? and what did you use to unlock? and what software are you running, 3.0.1 or 3.1.2 or 3.1.3? and whats your baseband (modem firmware) and finally, what do you mean "it wont open in itunes"? We cant help unless we know all these things. you can find the information under settings->about on your phone

Sorry. My bad.

I used spirit to jailbreak it. And I used ultrasnow via cydia to unlock it. I'm on T-Mobile network. Version 3.1.3 - Baseband 5.12.01

What I meant about it not opening in iTunes was that it would show up in iTunes. Meaning I can't sync.

Sorry again for the lack of info.

having problems with Cydia still displaying ultrasn0w 0.92...taking forever to refresh...

okay...got 0.93...it works!!

unlocked my 3GS 3.1.3/5.12.01...thanks Dev Team!!!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2010-06-22 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well I upgraded to iTunes 9.2 and it now sees the phone and everything is cool. But now it's asking me to upgrade to my iPhone to 4.0. Should I do this? Will I lose my unlock?

Uhoh...I think I messed up.

I upgraded my iTunes to 9.2. I then upgraded the phone to 4.0 thinking that I could go through the same steps again and everything would be fine. Now Spirit can't jailbreak the phone.

Anything I can do about this?
    Last edited by kube555; 2010-06-22 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by kube555 View Post
    Well I upgraded to iTunes 9.2 and it now sees the phone and everything is cool. But now it's asking me to upgrade to my iPhone to 4.0. Should I do this? Will I lose my unlock?

Uhoh...I think I messed up.

I upgraded my iTunes to 9.2. I then upgraded the phone to 4.0 thinking that I could go through the same steps again and everything would be fine. Now Spirit can't jailbreak the phone.

Anything I can do about this?
    you totally noobed out man. Get some consent or do some research before doing anything drastic to your iphone. You had it all good with 3.1.3 and itunes 9.1 (not 9.2).

-your first mistake was downloading itunes 9.2
    -second mistake was actually upgrading to iOS 4. (there's no jailbreak out for it yet only and unlock.)

so as of now, you are out of luck. Phoneless till thursday or friday. Just wait it out and don't do anything else to your phone until you hear news of a jailbreak and unlock for iOS 4.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rivryan For This Useful Post:

kube555 (2010-06-22)

Yeah I kind of figured that. Only reason I upgraded to 9.2 was so that I could sync. Bummer. Thanks for all the clarification though.

Quote Originally Posted by rivryan View Post
    you totally noobed out man. Get some consent or do some research before doing anything drastic to your iphone. You had it all good with 3.1.3 and itunes 9.1 (not 9.2).

-your first mistake was downloading itunes 9.2
    -second mistake was actually upgrading to iOS 4. (there's no jailbreak out for it yet only and unlock.)

so as of now, you are out of luck. Phoneless till thursday or friday. Just wait it out and don't do anything else to your phone until you hear news of a jailbreak and unlock for iOS 4.

He is right. you noobed out. NEVER upgrade IPSW until you know it can be jailbroken/unlocked.

I am still on 3.1.2 5.11.07 on my 3GS BUT I did upgrade to itunes 9.2 so I could download the 4.0 IPSW WITHOUT INSTALLING IT!

My question is why is 9.2 bad?

dunno why it's bad, just been reading things all over saying DON'T update itunes to 9.2 and stuff like that but if you're just downloading the iOS 4.0 file and prepping for the update i guess you should be fine. (and if your 3gs is working fine)

just dont "accidentally" update like many users did

Dev-Team Blog

IF YOU DID NOT USE SPIRIT TO JB YOUR 3GS you can now update to 4.0!

that includes me!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mcozea For This Useful Post:

rivryan (2010-06-22)

so you're saying if i'm on 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n (back in the day) i can upgrade/jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.o?!

Quote Originally Posted by rivryan View Post
    so you're saying if i'm on 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n (back in the day) i can upgrade/jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.o?!

yes as of 20 mins ago... as long as currently your 3gs is not tethered. (you have to be able to currently turn it on and off without a computer near by) I LOVE YOU DEV TEAM! I now have 4.0 Jailbroken and UNLOCKED and untethered on my old 3GS just in time for my 3 week trip to china this evening! just in time. whew

Quote Originally Posted by mcozea View Post
    He is right. you noobed out. NEVER upgrade IPSW until you know it can be jailbroken/unlocked.

I am still on 3.1.2 5.11.07 on my 3GS BUT I did upgrade to itunes 9.2 so I could download the 4.0 IPSW WITHOUT INSTALLING IT!

My question is why is 9.2 bad?
    Seriously. I feel like such a jackass. Everything was going great. I just didn't read well enough into everything.

Folks are working on a jailbreak for 4.0 right? For people who are stupidly in the same situation?

bro you should be fine, an unlock/jailbreak for iOS 4 should be ready on release day (thursday) or friday.