Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS unlocking questions

Default iPhone 3GS unlocking questions
    Hi everyone!!

I really want an iPhone and My parents are fine with the price but do not want to pay the monthly for Internet. If my aunt who is currently using an iPhone 3GS were to buy a new one (as she is eligible for an update) could I take hers and unlock it so I could not be stuck with the data? I believe that it is running 3.1.3 with the new bootrom.

You can "unlock" a iphone to use on another carrier, but from what i understand if youre not paying for a data plan you wont have internet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omgitszmk View Post
    Hi everyone!!

I really want an iPhone and My parents are fine with the price but do not want to pay the monthly for Internet. If my aunt who is currently using an iPhone 3GS were to buy a new one (as she is eligible for an update) could I take hers and unlock it so I could not be stuck with the data? I believe that it is running 3.1.3 with the new bootrom.
    Unlocking it is for you to use any GSM carriers other than the official carrier. If you don't have a data plan, you can use the Internet over Wifi only. Putting your sim in won't affect her data plan because you are using a different sim.

what gsm provider are you gonna use. If AT&T even if u get it free u need data plan no matter what. If tmobile u can unlock it(5.12.1 can't be unlocked yet) then use it on tmobile or who ever else u want and then don't need a data plan but can use wifi instead n

so all t-mobile users who use a iphone unlocked cant use the edge/3g network?

if they've got some sort of data plan through t-mobile would it then work?

but because att requires a data plan, unlocking it would serve no purpose to get out of the data plan? From what i understand if i put my sim in an iphone att will auto-assign a data plan(which i do not want)...

I dont think they automatically activate it as soon as you pop your sim on your 3gs. You just hace to disable 3G.

On the other hand, if you have an at&t sim card you do not need to unlock it.

You already have tour contract. You are not buying a new iPhone, with a new contract (which includes a data plan)!

Thanks

It's hit or miss....
    Some people have had their data plans changed to the iPhone data plan, other have not had any issues using non-iPhone data plans. Just depends if you want to take the risk...
    Last edited by Simtech; 2010-06-21 at 09:03 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    On Fido they have $15/month data plan.
    What's At&t plan?