Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help me update my iPhone 3GS to 3.1.3 but also keep my baseband at 05.11.07

Exclamation Please help me update my iPhone 3GS to 3.1.3 but also keep my baseband at 05.11.07
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but I've been using this website for months .

Anyway, I've had this iPhone 3GS for just about a year and tomorrow my friend is leaving the country and he wants to buy my iPhone. I know that when he plugs my iPhone into his computer it's going to want to restore it to default settings and he will have no choice but to upgrade to 3.1.3 firmware and then lose the baseband.

Is there any way that I can upgrade my iPhone to 3.1.3 and keep the baseband at 05.11.07?

If so, please let me know. I know how to jailbreak and unlock but no idea how to do the above problem...

Also, would I be able to do all of that here, so when he gets to his country he doesn't have to do it himself? I'm not sure if he is capable of doing all of this by himself.

If I was you I'd wipe clean all your data, apps etc. Then download the 3.1.2 firmware from web and restore.

Then jailbreak it again to 3.1.2 and unlock.
    There is an app on Cydia (forget the name now) that tricks itunes into thinking that you have upgraded to 3.1.3 so this will stop itunes prompting him all the time to update. (Although soon he will be asked to upgrade to 4.0). Anyway, install that.

Then connect the phone to your friend's computer and set up.

When he is asked to update to 4.0 tell him to email you and by then there will (hopefully) be a fully functional jailbreak and unlock available which you can talk him through.

If he is taking an iPhone overseas and using a foreign sim then he will have to learn, at some point, how to jailbreak & unlock unless he is happy to keep his firmware at 3.1.2 forever.

Quote Originally Posted by slov92 View Post
    If I was you I'd wipe clean all your data, apps etc. Then download the 3.1.2 firmware from web and restore.

Then jailbreak it again to 3.1.2 and unlock.
    There is an app on Cydia (forget the name now) that tricks itunes into thinking that you have upgraded to 3.1.3 so this will stop itunes prompting him all the time to update. (Although soon he will be asked to upgrade to 4.0). Anyway, install that.

Then connect the phone to your friend's computer and set up.

When he is asked to update to 4.0 tell him to email you and by then there will (hopefully) be a fully functional jailbreak and unlock available which you can talk him through.

If he is taking an iPhone overseas and using a foreign sim then he will have to learn, at some point, how to jailbreak & unlock unless he is happy to keep his firmware at 3.1.2 forever.
    Hmmm good idea! I always keep backups of these files and I managed to find this:
    iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore
    I beleive that's the correct one, so when I go to restore, all I do is the shift + click on restore and then use this firmware correct?
    Then do my j/b + unlock like I normally do, and then install the app that tricks iTunes into thinking that he has already updated to 3.1.3 so he doesn't accidentally do it and then be stick on the new baseband.

yes that is the right one. Any issues you can also download it from here:
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Then as you said, shift and restore. This will then let you add the firmware from a folder rather than connecting via the net.

I'd try and find the 3.1.3 app for you on Cydia but it's 12:35am here and I'm off to bed.

Like I said though he'll be prompted to upgrade to 4.0 pretty soon so remember to warn him about that.

Ok thanks a lot!
    I managed to find that app you were talking about .
    It's called "Firmware 3.1.3" for anyone that needs it too.
    Link: http://www.iphonefreak.com/2010/03/j...-os-3-1-3.html
    Last edited by Maizez; 2010-06-19 at 07:46 PM.