Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to preserve 5.11.07 on 3Gs PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Trying to preserve 5.11.07 on 3Gs PLEASE HELP!!!
    K guys, I'm new to this forum so bear with me. I just got a used 3Gs 3.1.2 5.11.07 w/ bootrom 359.3.2. I did a shift restore to 3.1.2 in iTunes and got the error "not eligible for this build". I have worked with the 3G alot and just a faster way to clean and prep for jailbreak / unlock. Didn't know Apple stopped signing the 3.1.2 for 3Gs until now. (Hard Way). iTunes has locked the phone in DFU. I'm trying to preserve the 5.11.07 baseband to keep unlock / jailbreak option for 3.1.3 or 4.0. If I can get it out of DFU then I'll be able to work more with it but I'm stuck. I have custom 3.1.3 ipsw already. But can't restore. Any suggestions on how to get out of DFU? Nothing works. blackra1n, sn0wbreeze, ih8sn0w, redsn0w nothing working. Holding both buttons forever and just boots right back to DFU. I've also taken phone apart to detach battery for full power off, but as soon as battery touches back, boots right in DFU. Any ideas? Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include all details. I'm not exactly a noob, but I don't know everything. Thanks in advance for any help. PS iTunes 9.0.1

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Are you stuck in DFU or Recovery Mode? The two are different. In DFU, your phone just stays black then?

Being on the new bootrom you won't be able to use custom firmwares. If you're stuck in Recovery Mode, and you have the new bootrom, I think you're pretty much stuck and will be forced to upgrade to 3.1.3. And yes, this means your baseband will have to go up too.

Unless you have your SHSH files backed up, you can't restore to anything.

You'll need a custom 3.1.2 IPW

Or 3.1.3

Try to find one for 3.1.3. You'll have better luck with that one.
    Last edited by XFaega; 2010-06-18 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

DFU. Thanks for the reply. That's what I was afraid of with the new bootrom. I'm pretty familiar. With this being a newly purchased used phone, I figured I'd just do a shift restore. I do alot of work with iPhones and have firmware and custom firmware, but DUH me, didn't know Apple stopped signing the 3.1.2 for 3Gs. If I'd have know that, I could have saved myself alot of trouble and just done the long clear. Thanks for the info. Bootrom is pretty much screwin me tho.

Remember to hold down the shift Button and at select restore and select the dir the custom IPW is at.

Have both custome 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 for 3Gs with 5.11.07 baseband written in. Prob is I can't write custom firmware with the 359.3.2 bootrom. And since iTunes #@$*$#% locked the phone in DFU (not recovery)I can't even work with the 3.1.2 5.11.07 that's currently on it. I've learned that I'm stuck with the 3.1.2 if I wan't to preserve the unlock, but if I can't get it out of DFU, then I'm forced to restore which will update too. <SHRUG> Starting to think I'm just screwed. Thanks a bunch for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Remember to hold down the shift Button and at select restore and select the dir the custom IPW is at.
    Thanks. I have. I've done alot of upgrade, downgrade custom firmware, unlocks, jailbreaks. But this is the first time iTunes gave that "not eligible for this build" error and locked it in DFU. Not recovery.

Basically, all I need to do is get it out of DFU without restoring. Any tools anyone knows of?
    Last edited by DragonRyder; 2010-06-18 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    3GS phones with the new bootrom can't make use of custom firmwares.

iOS 4 is due to be released in 3 days. The jailbreak is already established for it. The unlock shouldn't be too far behind from that. You won't be screwed for too long.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...-dfu-mode.html

read this.

If that doesn't work, then I suggest waiting You don't wanna upgrade your phone of course.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-18 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    3GS phones with the new bootrom can't make use of custom firmwares.

iOS 4 is due to be released in 3 days. The jailbreak is already established for it. The unlock shouldn't be too far behind from that. You won't be screwed for too long.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...-dfu-mode.html

read this.

If that doesn't work, then I suggest waiting You don't wanna upgrade your phone of course.
    Yeah, that's what I've been reading too. Any info though regarding the fact that the new bootrom on the 3Gs won't support custom firmwares. Therefore I won't be able to preserve the 5.11.07 baseband. Will the 4.0 jailbreak / unlock require the 5.11.07 baseband like the 3.1.3 methods have? No SHSH. (GRRRRR) LOL.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Not sure if the unlock will be for 5.12.01 or 5.13.04 (the baseband for iOS 4) so if you really are stuck and cant restore or anything right now, I would go ahead and upgrade to 3.1.3 to up your baseband to 5.12.01. If you wait till iOS 4 is released, you will lose that chance and end up with 5.13.04 and if the unlock is for 5.12.01, youre screwed again.

Remember, the iOS 4 is to be released on the 21st. Its up to you to decide what to do.

I heard they already have the unlock for 5.12.01 and Ive been hearing mixed responses that the unlock would work for 5.13.04 too but thats really unclear. Im thinking it would work for 5.13.04 too (same exploit since Apple hasnt had a chance to patch it cuz they dont know what exploit it is yet) cuz the new iPhone will come with iOS 4. Im thinking they would have an unlock for the new iPhone too not just for those stuck on 3.1.3. I guess we wont know till the release of iPhone 4 and iOS 4.

Makes sense to me. Thanks alot for the info. Good advice on locking the 5.12.01 too. Hadn't thought of that. Again thanks for the info and taking the time to reply. 423 is the area code where I live. Odd. LOL.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No problem. 423 is my birthday :P

12. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

DragonRyder (2010-06-18)

You can upgrade to 3.1.3 without updating your 5.11.07 baseband. Pull the cable as soon as the "updating iphone firmware" appears during update. Run iREB to get you out of recovery mode loop.

Quote Originally Posted by jeproks View Post
    You can upgrade to 3.1.3 without updating your 5.11.07 baseband. Pull the cable as soon as the "updating iphone firmware" appears during update. Run iREB to get you out of recovery mode loop.
    Actually, I finally just threw my hands in the air and decided to put the 3.1.3 on it and try to sell it or something. Ironically, the restore went fine. SHIFT > RESTORE from the 3.1.3 ipsw I have saved. Not modded or customized, just straight up 3.1.3 and somehow, the baseband is still 5.11.07. <SHRUG> Not gonna question. I don't understand it, but i'm still stuck with the new bootrom, so gonna be limited with future upgrades maintaining the baseband. Thanks for everyone's help, think i'm just gonna sell it for ATT and keep my 3G w/ T-Mobile. :-)

Upgrade is the best a new unlock will be coming out soon soo lucky it's soon but next time backup your shsh and try try try not to restore if there isn't an unlock