Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS, trying to unlock/jailbreak, possible?

Default 3GS, trying to unlock/jailbreak, possible?
    Hello all,
    I am trying to unlock iphone 3GS, due to changing providers. The provider I want to stick with is, T-mobile. Is there any recommendations on which firmware is unlockable at the same with less issues. Thanks, much appreciation.

I'm not a highly experienced user, but.....
    You probably need to provide more data for the rest of us:
    - firmware
    - baseband
    - bootrom

sailorboyheng

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Being on a 2G you can hit upgrade. Your baseband won't change to anything not unlockable. You can go to 3.1.3 (I'd recommend using a stock 3.1.2 ipsw though if you want MMS). 3.1.3 MMS is a little more difficult to configure, from my experience.

Shift+Restore to the stock 3.1.2 ipsw (you can get it in the downloads section here on MMi). To jailbreak you can use Blackra1n (easiest, though I prefer Redsn0w--it's just more complicated so I'll give you the easier option).

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware with blackra1n | Redmond Pie

Here's a nice guide for you to use.

You can unlock with BootNeuter afterwards.

Here's a quick overview of it in case you need it:

Overview [iPhone Dev Team]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBiphone2g View Post
    Hello all,
    I am trying to unlock iphone 3GS, due to changing providers. The provider I want to stick with is, T-mobile. Is there any recommendations on which firmware is unlockable at the same with less issues. Thanks, much appreciation.
    Only baseband 04.26.08 and 05.11.07 are unlockable.

where can i get access to those baseband? I am fairly new to unlocking/jailbreaking iphone. I unlocked/jailbroke my 2g iphone but from my knowledge someoone had said that 3gs is unlockable at this point.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can't really get access to a baseband. It is what it is. Tell us what the baseband (also known as modem firmware) is on your 3GS then we can tell you if it is unlockable or not.

Firmware 3.1.3=jailbreak via Spirit (need an official carrier's SIM for the phone to activate)

Firmware 3.1.2= Spirit or Blackra1n (Blackra1n can cause a tethered jailbreak if the bootrom is new which is 359.3.2)

"Tethered" jailbreak=must run Blackra1n every time phone reboots or shuts off.

Baseband 5.12.01 is currently NOT unlockable for ANY device.

Baseband 5.11.07 is unlockable via Blacksn0w

Baseband 4.26.08 is unlockable via Ultrasn0w

The iphone description is 3gs currently with AT&T, never been unlocked or jailbroken.

Model details
    baseband = 05.12.01
    current firmware = 3.1.3(7E18)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Jailbreak with Spirit using AT&T SIM to activate.

You cannot unlock the phone at this time.

You can use newest version of blackra1n to bypass ATT Sim Activation Method.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Blackra1n doesnt work on 3.1.3, just 3.1.2.

iPhone 3GS can't be Unlcked with your 05.12.01 at this moment but ios4 will be released on Monday after this release a jailbreak and unlock will be available I recommend that you research throughout YouTube musclenerds twitter tutorials so that you get familiar with process of jailbreaking and unlocking and so that you know what cydia is... Also if you still have version 9.1 of iTunes you can jailbreak your iPhone with spirit but if you have iTunes 9.2 don't do this because it's gonna screw yer iPhone up idk if permenantly or temporaly but not worth the risk research!

Thanks guys. Well heres the thing, I want to activate it with T-mobile. And so 05.12.01 is unlockable? I heard that you can, if "that iphone" been unlocked before. Thanks for feedback, any suggestion is welcome. Thanks again.

Yeah I want a t mobile unlock too if it has been unlock before doesn't matter lol sorry had to laugh but believe when I say there is no unlck tool out for 05.12.01 I been looking for one for two months all over the net there isn't one ther is one coming hopely sometime Next 2 weeks ????? Maybe next week musclenerds said after ios 4 is released wich is June 21

Ps.... There are a of of fake unlocks out there be careful and also scanners who say they can unlck yer iPhone all fake just advice from a iPhone geek
    Last edited by Mrinfame; 2010-06-19 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

awwww shucks, Thanks again. Once its released it probably wont know if its fully functionable huh? I thought you can change the baseband on iphones. Oh well, I guess i will play be ear.