Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brand new 3GS - *help* - don't know what to do

Default Brand new 3GS - *help* - don't know what to do
    Ok, I'm new, but don't get me wrong. I visit the modmyi forums often, but this is the first time I'm needing help, hence the new account.

My situation is:
    My dad sent me a brand new 16GB 3GS and it has been sitting in my room for almost a week now. I wanna JB it, but I really really don't want an iBrick. All the warnings say that I should ask/research before I do anything and today is day 3 of hours and hours of research.

The iPhone:
    - 16GB brand new 3GS (still wrapped up in plastic)
    - is unactivated (emergency call screen)
    - iBoot = 359.3.2 (since it's below 9.3.9, does it mean that I'm somewhat safe?)

What I've done so far:
    - connect it to my computer and iTunes (Win7) to check it's iBoot
    - tried the secret code: *3001#12345#* <-- Failed

I use T-Mobile and after all the research, I can confidently say that I know a whole lot of technical terms, so you can go ahead and explain things to me in an advanced way.

I want to know:
    - if it's safe to JB
    - the baseband (spent 2 hours, no results)
    - how to check baseband if phone is still unactivated?
    - if so, what software should I use?
    - how to start making progress

Lost,
    sailorboyheng

I forgot to mention that my iTunes version is still 9.0.3.15
    Last edited by sailorboyheng; 2010-06-18 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The first thing you need to find out is which carrier the phone is associated with and get it activated by obtaining a SIM card from that carrier and plugging the phone into Itunes with the SIM in the phone. Do not let Itunes update the firmware on the phone in case you are one of the lucky ones with an earlier baseband. You can disable automatic update in Itunes. The sim can be a pay and go with minimum credit on it. It would help to know which country you are in. If USA then it is almost certainly ATT in Europe or Canada there are more possibilities. When you eventually get past this stage if you are looking to Jailbreak it avoid updating to Itunes 9.2
    Search the web for a copy of previous version of iTunes such as 9.1 or 9.1.1. Then search for a copy of "Spirit" for the jailbreak and read all the Blogs before you start. Good luck.

The country the phone is from is Malaysia - tied to the carrier Maxis (sorry I didn't mention earlier)
    ....but I don't have access to a Maxis sim

Is there any way around this other than asking my dad to send one over? (will probably take 7-10 days)

sailorboyheng

Quote Originally Posted by sailorboyheng View Post
    The country the phone is from is Malaysia - tied to the carrier Maxis (sorry I didn't mention earlier)
    ....but I don't have access to a Maxis sim

Is there any way around this other than asking my dad to send one over? (will probably take 7-10 days)

sailorboyheng
    Your best option is probably to sit on it for a while. There is a general view on the Forum that the DEV team will release an unlock soon after the new firmware for the Iphone is released on Monday 21st. That could be days or weeks after. It is very likely that your phone is on 3.1.3 firmware and 5.12.1 baseband. You want to keep it there and also keep Itunes where it is until more information is available on the unlock and how it will work. It is also assumed that the unlock will also be capable of activating the phone but no one really knows. I suggest you put the phone back on the shelf for another week or two and keep reading the Forums. You need to also ignore all the SCAM sites that will claim to unlock and activate your phone for money. The true jailbreaks and unlocks are always free.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

sailorboyheng (2010-06-18)

=(
    But thanks!
    I'd rather wait 2 weeks than being 'SOL' <-- what a hilarious term

If u don't want to wait too Long get your hands on a official sim and then you can see what iPhone firmware you are on and also the modem firmware

you can also see what you have by going to iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones and downloading and running f0recast.. i'm in the same boat as you... i have a 3gs i just bought of craigslist... and running that... then plugging phone in tells you everything.

Oh yea... first post

Quote Originally Posted by destro23 View Post
    you can also see what you have by going to iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones and downloading and running f0recast.. i'm in the same boat as you... i have a 3gs i just bought of craigslist... and running that... then plugging phone in tells you everything.

Oh yea... first post
    You're in the same boat?
    Cool!
    Let me know how everything goes.. I'm too worried that I'll end up with an iBrick and that's really limiting my options.
    Have you tried f0recast yet? Does it work fine?
    But, even after f0recast, I'll still need an official sim before I can JB it right?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You're in the same boat?
    Cool!
    Let me know how everything goes.. I'm too worried that I'll end up with an iBrick and that's really limiting my options.
    Have you tried f0recast yet? Does it work fine?
    But, even after f0recast, I'll stll need an official sim before I can JB it right?
    Yes, you still need an official sim card to activate first before you run Spirit jailbreak and make sure you are not using Itunes 9.2 which will make your Iphone go into Infinite Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Yes, you still need an official sim card to activate first before you run Spirit jailbreak and make sure you are not using Itunes 9.2 which will make your Iphone go into Infinite Loop.
    1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014-2084

Do you think Apple uses that kind of humor?

hi
    i m also in the same boat..have iphoen from 2 weeks no official sim,not activated yet just emergency calls ,dont know abt firm ware but base band is 5.12.01 using forcast...lets see when 24 june is coming...i m badly counting the days....

Question:

How long would I need the official sim for activate the phone?
    1. Do I just need it for 1 minute to activate the phone and then I can throw the sim away?

or

2. Do I need to use that sim throughout the whole JBing process?

sailorboyheng

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Question:

1. Do I just need it for 1 minute to activate the phone and then I can throw the sim away?

or

sailorboyheng
    I think I just mentioned that in another post, all you need is just once to get you from Emergency Screen into Home Screen.

Question:

or

sailorboyheng
    The Iphone is a computer. Computers freeze and crash. It is very likely that during the life of the phone you will need the SIM to restore and activate the phone again. This is especially true if you are going to jail-break. If you do get one never throw it away.

Hey guys,

I finally activated it.
    Here are the details:

Version: 3.1.3 (7E18)
    Modem Firmware: 05.12.01
    iBoot: 359.3.2 (as stated above)

Now what should I do? Spirit? or f0recast?

- Spirit looks like the way to go, and it looks pretty easy too.. I already have spirit installed in my computer. But I'm too paranoid. I need confirmation before I'd attempt anything. Also, can I take out the sim that I used to activate the phone or do I leave it in there?
    Last edited by sailorboyheng; 2010-06-19 at 10:47 PM.

did you borrow a sim or just go and buy any pre-paid att sim? If i go get a prepaid sim can i get my phone out of the emergency mode? or do i need a sim from an iPhone?

My phone wasn't from the US. So I had to use the official sim (which is NOT AT&T)
    However, you need to use the AT&T sim if you bought the phone in the US.
    You don't need an 'iPhone' sim, just any AT&T one will do.
    It will get you out of emergency mode, but make sure you don't do any plan signing up/updating after iTunes activates your phone.
    Once I saw the 'activated' notice, I disconnected my iPhone straight away.

sailorboyheng