Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G with out a sim unknown firmware

Default 2G with out a sim unknown firmware
    Do I need to know what firmware is on my phone to decide which unlocking method I will use? If I do how do I find my firmware version with out a sim card?

Thanks,
    Matt

(edit) I found (via google) I don't need to know what firmware my phone is. Just updade the firmware and use redsnow/blacksnow. I found this info at Redmond Pie's website under "Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 Firmware with redsn0w 0.9.3"
    Last edited by stillsilent; 2010-06-17 at 11:36 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

Firmware is not really the issue, its the bootloader you need to worry about. Search the forums here. There is a wealth of information posted about unlocking.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

^Bootloaders don't have anything to do with unlocking. It's the baseband. 2G phones are always unlockable since the baseband does not change anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by stillsilent View Post
    (edit) I found (via google) I don't need to know what firmware my phone is. Just updade the firmware and use redsnow/blacksnow. I found this info at Redmond Pie's website under "Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 Firmware with redsn0w 0.9.3"
    Redsnow is a jailbreak tool, Blacksn0w is a software unlock. You need to distinguish between the two as different tools for different purposes. 2G phones do not use Blacksn0w but may use Redsn0w to jailbreak. 2G phones unlock via BootNeuter only.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-18 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost