Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Droped calls (unlock problem) 3g 16gb

Default Droped calls (unlock problem) 3g 16gb
    So my phone was broken by a friend, who used blackra1n, and followed that with an unlock using blacksn0w, not sure if it was the rs2 or not... I have had this problem as long as I can remember, the phone works ok for a while, starts to drop calls, crashes here and there, then dies... When it drops the calls, it drops to 0 bars of reception, goes to no service, then 3g, reception comes back and finally to Rogers 3g.

Sometimes (has happened a total of 3 times) the reception just doesn't come back, it stays on no service. First 2tries I put it to airplane mode, it froze crashed, and wouldn't boot up, would turn on load the apple icon freeze and start all over... Last time I tried to reset the phone... No better luck doing that. Afterthat happened the last time (Friday night) I restored my phone on my roommates computer, restored to 3.1.3 that I downloaded, restored to 3.1.2 then jailbroke it (long process figuring out what I was doing) jailbroken using redsn0w, baseband was at 05.12.01, so I fuzzbanded it, and unlocked it with ultrasn0w.

Now, my question is, do you think this is an issue caused by the blacksn0w used previously, or is it a hardware issue? Do you think that being I used a different program to break it, and a different unlock, that I shouldn't have this issue again?

Quote Originally Posted by --weezl-- View Post
    restored to 3.1.2 then jailbroke it (long process figuring out what I was doing) jailbroken using redsn0w, baseband was at 05.12.01, so I fuzzbanded it, and unlocked it with ultrasn0w.
    FYI, you can save your time by using Spirit to jailbreak. The whole point of jailbreaking is to be able to download unlock software (whichever you use) from Cydia.

As to your question, there can be a number of issues that may cause dropped calls: network, hardware, software. You may try to turn off 3G option and see if that helps.

I'll give that a try if it starts dropping calls again... Does this sound like a problem people have had in the past?

Additionally, I don't think I included above, after it is restored and re broken, it doesn't do it for a few weeks, then starts back up again, gradually doing it more and more often till it is unbearable and the phone crashes completely

Maybe you can restore it and this time not to jb it first. Test it for couple of weeks to see if problem persists. It it does, then you may have a hardware issue.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I've restored, upgraded, fuzzybanded, jailbroke, unlocked, and all those goodies many many times before on my 3G. Nothing a restore can't fix

You should just restore the phone and rejailbreak it. It wouldn't hurt any more to try it. I do recommend to just upgrade to 3.1.3, downgrade your baseband, run redsn0w 0.9.4 on it (keeping the 3.1.2 ipsw at hand cuz redsn0w doesn't read 3.1.3, but if you are on 3.1.3 it will still work you just have to use 3.1.2) then unlock with ultrasn0w again.

I did that on my 3G recently and it's quite fantastic.

Seems Blackra1n and Blacksn0w have come up with a few issues (not officially confirmed but so it seems) so maybe a little redsn0w wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ok cool that's kinda what I thought, I would use it without the jailbreak, except my phone is from provider fido, which is a sub company to Rogers, who my contract is with, so I need it unlocked to use it period... I'll give it a try for a while, see if this works, m phone seems to be running faster than it used o, since redsn0w, so maybe that was my problem